Game 4: St. Francis (PA), Nov. 19th, 7 PM, NO TV

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yep, I actually talked to the older bald ref for a good minute while during a timeout and when the ball was being inbounded at the baseline in front of section 108. We had a convo.... I wasn't yelling at him like most of our fans so I think that's why he actually talked to me.

I called him out on one of his bad calls, I think it was on Gray or Corey under the basket when we cleanly stripped/blocked the ball away from their guy who was directly under the basket. The older, bald guy was NOT under the basket but positioned over by the scores table. I let him know our beef with that call....
1. In NO way did he have a clear shot at calling that foul. Just because a guy throws up his arms doesn't mean it is a foul. They stripped the ball from him cleanly and the ref calls a foul. 2. THATS NOT YOUR CALL! He had no business calling that and I let him know it. I blasted him on his ref rotation.... when he rotates down to the baseline THEN he could make that call. He basically had nothing great to reply to me with other than mumbling something about his age and that he's getting old and how he should give me his whistle so I can ref this game. I told him gladly.... and that he could keep the money. He didn't reply.

He also called a foul on Gray who was about a foot away from his man where he barely touched him as he turned his back to Gray to post up. Awful, awful call. It happened right in front of me. Gray just had this look like you gotta be kidding me and just laughed it off.

That ref certainly sucks. Time for him to hang it up.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If you're talking about the grey-haired, balding white guy, his name is John Hughes and he is AWFUL and has been AWFUL every time I've seen him ref. Gets caught in bad positions, makes calls from halfway across the court, doesn't see extremely obvious plays that everyone else in the building saw, etc. Last year a player stepped fully out of bounds right in front of him and he missed it. I actually think he's blind, doesn't know the rules, and makes his calls based on body language.