Game 4: GMU (3-0) at Jacksonville Classic vs Charlotte (2-1) on Sunday, November 19, at 5:30 PM.

GMU_Polevaulter

Preferred Walk-On
Really disappointed with tonight's outcome. Like @gmutom said we can blame 100 other elements but at the end of the day the performance was just bad on the court.

How can we continue to give starter minutes to Billups and Polite if they dont score, they had 1 point between the two of them tonight. Okojie also struggled but he also is a freshman. Looks like Ronny/Baraka each played about equal minutes tonight.

I was hopeful that Mason could pull a game like this out, get a top 100 NET win and continue to build towards having value for NEXT YEAR with a top 100 NET and getting into a better MTE. However, once again, coming up short in a game like this doesn't help. So frustrating.

It seemed like we couldn't get into any offensive rhythm at all. We kept playing defense but nothing was going offensively. The last play when Mason had a chance to tie, Kelly had a good look in the paint but launched a missile at the rim.

Whatever, can't win them all. If anyone wants to look at the box score from this debacle: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore/_/gameId/401601479
Defensively - Billups was pushing his man back from the 3 point line consistently and stayed locked on to who he was defending, - 4 rebounds, 2 assists - agree - he has to start scoring more.

Junkees9

Sixth Man
Charlotte stunk up the gym but we stunk it up even more. Horrible performance all the way around. Turn the page and move on to our game tonight.

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The players were distracted. They were so busy getting “WTF” texts and calls from family regarding the Junior high A/V club’s production of the game.

(Yes, I am surprised as well that Coach Skinn allows cell phones on the bench.)

Tonight should be better as the expectations of a competent grown up production of a college basketball game will not be a factor.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
The players were distracted. They were so busy getting “WTF” texts and calls from family regarding the Junior high A/V club’s production of the game.

(Yes, I am surprised as well that Coach Skinn allows cell phones on the bench.)

Tonight should be better as the expectations of a competent grown up production of a college basketball game will not be a factor.
Cell phones on the bench!!?? I trust Tony, but really!!??
Anyway, hopefully the guys are really POed at themselves after last night and it was a wake up call...just in case they were getting a bit full of themselves after starting 3-0. PLEASE don't let this be a repeat of KE's first year start!

KAOriginal

All-American
I only listened and it just sounded ugly. Can't imagine what it looked like watching.

Now that "the win streak" is over....maybe they can focus for the next games....

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
4 games in and people are already "disappointed"....Good lord. I realize it's an "I want it now and I will have a temper tantrum if it doesn't happen now" world we live in, but come on.
Lol, funny. Yeah, I mean I don't think anyone will be making a Fire Tony thread quite yet. I think we are all just disappointed at once again playing like crap at an MTE which is fair. Hopefully this is just a blip and the program will finish top 100 in NET this year and open the door for better opportunities.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Like many of you, I too had the displeasure of watching this game last night. Not much more to say that hasn’t already been said, but I won’t take anything more away from this one game than I did the first three. I don’t think we’ll really know what this team is for another month or so. Only thing I’ll say is we’ll need to figure out how to finish through contact and how to make our offense run against teams like Charlotte, because the team we played last night is closer to the teams we’ll see more frequently in A10 play than Cornell, Austin Pea, or Monmouth. Guards need to figure it out because our offense starts with them and it’s tougher to get Hall or Maddox going when we are disjointed at getting into the flow of things.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
4 games in and people are already "disappointed"....Good lord. I realize it's an "I want it now and I will have a temper tantrum if it doesn't happen now" world we live in, but come on.

There is a legit concern about what is happening with the 1 and 2 guard positions as it relates to scoring (especially 3-point shooting). And even Maddox has gone missing in some games already. We are going to play some teams who are going to be able to lock up Hall and Kelly and we need our guards to be able to take on some of the scoring load.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There is a legit concern about what is happening with the 1 and 2 guard positions as it relates to scoring (especially 3-point shooting). And even Maddox has gone missing in some games already. We are going to play some teams who are going to be able to lock up Hall and Kelly and we need our guards to be able to take on some of the scoring load.
True, so we have some bumps in the road. Am I crazy that I wasn't expecting a 24 win season out of the gate? Does it suck not winning any MTE games this century? Yes, but I'll take the defensive effort we've seen this year over the turnstile approach we've seen in years past. Offense takes more time and might take different personnel.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
True, so we have some bumps in the road. Am I crazy that I wasn't expecting a 24 win season out of the gate? Does it suck not winning any MTE games this century? Yes, but I'll take the defensive effort we've seen this year over the turnstile approach we've seen in years past. Offense takes more time and might take different personnel.

I agree about the defense for sure (especially finally going zone after many many years of bad man-to-man defenses).

Mostly concerned about Polite’s regression. But there is hope he just needs to figure out the new offense and get rolling. I wasn’t really expecting to get much offense from Billups.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree about the defense for sure (especially finally going zone after many many years of bad man-to-man defenses).

Mostly concerned about Polite’s regression. But there is hope he just needs to figure out the new offense and get rolling. I wasn’t really expecting to get much offense from Billups.
Yes, as a senior, I was expecting much more from Ronnie than we have seen so far.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
How can we continue to give starter minutes to Billups and Polite if they dont score, they had 1 point between the two of them tonight. Okojie also struggled but he also is a freshman. Looks like Ronny/Baraka each played about equal minutes tonight.
We need Billups to match (or come close) his offensive production from a year ago at Siena, I don't expect anything more than that from him as we know his true value is his defense.

I'm more concerned about the drop off we've seen from Polite so far. He very well could turn it around but he's mostly been matched, and at times outplayed, by Okojie. I'm hoping it's just some sort of chemistry issue where he just doesn't feel settled in yet, but we need him to be more aggressive on the offensive end and a full disappearing act like yesterday is inexcusable.

He's so good at driving the lane and either finishing thru contact or getting to the free throw line, his FT attempts are down significantly from last season and avg. 3x less per game than Okojie. Would love to see a bounce back, aggressive game from him tonight to start to turn the tide on his individual performance.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We need Billups to match (or come close) his offensive production from a year ago at Siena, I don't expect anything more than that from him as we know his true value is his defense.

I'm more concerned about the drop off we've seen from Polite so far. He very well could turn it around but he's mostly been matched, and at times outplayed, by Okojie. I'm hoping it's just some sort of chemistry issue where he just doesn't feel settled in yet, but we need him to be more aggressive on the offensive end and a full disappearing act like yesterday is inexcusable.

He's so good at driving the lane and either finishing thru contact or getting to the free throw line, his FT attempts are down significantly from last season and avg. 3x less per game than Okojie. Would love to see a bounce back, aggressive game from him tonight to start to turn the tide on his individual performance.
Completely agree.

As far as Polite goes-

Ronny's minutes the first 4 games

FWIW - he was playing close to 32 mpg last year. Now granted he has help this year which should improve his performance even more yet its suffered. Really hope he figures it out, because we need him to do all the things (drive to the hoop, be a 3 point threat, play good defense) for the program to be successful this year even if it is less minutes / off the ball etc.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Ronald has had some great games over his career but he has never been consistent in his production. One great/good game followed by little to nothing.

It is very telling to me that while Ronald was the only Patriot chosen for preseason honors his own teammates unanimously voted a reserve, Malik Henry, to be team captain.

I am holding out hope that lightning will strike in regard to Ronald but Okojie is the better option at point. Baraka is better defensively, has more points, more rebounds, an equal number of assists, and fewer turnovers than Polite. Ronald can still get to the rim and is much better from 3 than Okojie right now. If/when Okojie develops those skills it will be fun to watch. Just win!!!!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know what it is about our seniors getting off to slow starts, but hopefully Ronny picks it up like JO did last season. We do not have enough scoring on this roster to be successful with him playing so poorly.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t know what it is about our seniors getting off to slow starts, but hopefully Ronny picks it up like JO did last season. We do not have enough scoring on this roster to be successful with him playing so poorly.
Well hopefully he isn't in School of Business. That was why JO struggled last year in the early part of the year...

I wish I was kidding with that reasoning that was mentioned.