Game 30: GMU (17-12 / 9-7) vs Fordham (23-6 / 11-5) on Wednesday, March 1, at 7:00 PM.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Lol I agree to an extent. Typically I agree we should show class. But I’m happy to see some passion/venom from the fans
Same guy that is always demonstrative standing/hollering at the refs. More than a bit over the top to be hollering "Fire Paulsen".

Paulsen, in my opinion is a decent guy and worthy of respect. I was pleased to see him seek out Josh during the warm-ups and give him a hug (this was shortly after the senior night presentations). Also good to see Paulsen and English sharing a hug and engaging in an extended conversation with each other before the game.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Same guy that is always demonstrative standing/hollering at the refs. More than a bit over the top to be hollering "Fire Paulsen".

Paulsen, in my opinion is a decent guy and worthy of respect. I was pleased to see him seek out Josh during the warm-ups and give him a hug (this was shortly after the senior night presentations). Also good to see Paulsen and English sharing a hug and engaging in an extended conversation with each other before the game.
I agree.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

FWIW I didn’t hear anything other than a few suck on that’s after 2 made FTs directed that way but may have been on the other side of what was surprisingly a very loud EBA tonight. I think the best FU we can give to Paulsen is to just be more successful than he was able to be here, and I think we are getting that so it certainly warms my heart.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Missed the game live but caught it on Memorex.. Photo courtesy of a text from JasDad. Fwiw I do like Dave and wish him the best.
D37FE4B8-66F3-42EC-B741-126370933BCC.jpeg

Last edited:

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
A knock down drag out brawl that we won by being tough and making key FTs without our 2 best players. Crazy that I thought Ronnie was doing exactly what he should in forcing his way to the basket at the end of regulation and OT and got zero calls, and despite that, he kept coming and nailed that key jumper in OT. The boys are officially battling and it’s great to see.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
No FG’s for Fordham in the last…… 16:53 of the half
I expected to see more discussion on this very point. I was at the game so don't know what Rowland and Esherick had to say while it was happening, but I do not recall ever seeing a team fail to put the ball in the basket for THAT long. Plus, it took Fordham over a minute before they made their first FG in the 2nd half.

To put this in perspective, in January, 2013 Eastern Washington set a record for futility in Div I hoops by scoring just two (2) field goals the entire first half in a game against Dayton. They went 2-25 from the floor -- pretty much in line with Fordham's numbers during the first half of tonight's game.

We all know our defense has been a strength of late and is winning us games, but what we saw during the first half should not be glossed over. I'm sure it (fewest FGs allowed in a 1st half) is a Mason record in the shot clock era and just shows you what this team is capable of, and against a tough-minded Fordham team, no less.

Very reminiscent of the game we won against UNC Wilmington 35-33 in 2001, which sent us to our first NCAA tournament game under coach L. Defense was also a hallmark of our 2006 squad.

Makes me start thinking crazy, titillating thoughts about our prospects moving forward and what this team is capable of. Haven't had these feelings since 2011 when we won 16 straight.

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
A knock down drag out brawl that we won by being tough and making key FTs without our 2 best players. Crazy that I thought Ronnie was doing exactly what he should in forcing his way to the basket at the end of regulation and OT and got zero calls, and despite that, he kept coming and nailed that key jumper in OT. The boys are officially battling and it’s great to see.
Ronnie willed us to the W in OT, no question. Singleton was great and a real difference-maker for us, as well. Nice to know this team can lean on its defense to keep us in games, even when our best weapon in parked on the bench.

The way we are playing this team is D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S. Get Bailey back and look out.

With that said, I would like to see us close Richmond out with a relatively TO-free, solid double-digit win, before I get too over-the-top.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"That was a hard-fought Atlantic 10 game against a very good ballclub that's 100% bought in to who they are and their identity - but so are we," head coach Kim English said. "We can play any style against anyone. They present some challenges and play a defense that's hard to mimic. But our guys did a great job of finding a way to win. No matter what the conditions are, that's how we like it."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
"That was a hard-fought Atlantic 10 game against a very good ballclub that's 100% bought in to who they are and their identity - but so are we," head coach Kim English said. "We can play any style against anyone. They present some challenges and play a defense that's hard to mimic. But our guys did a great job of finding a way to win. No matter what the conditions are, that's how we like it."
“No matter what the conditions are, that’s how we like it.”

When is the last time our coach could make this statement and we all knew in our bones that it was dead on true?

The word MINDSET is getting tossed around a lot these days, but when you can get a group of people to buy in and genuinely believe that you will find a way to be successful, no matter what, that is powerful stuff.

There is something special happening with this team. They have finally embraced the spirit of physical and mental toughness Kim has been demanding since Day 1. No excuses, no BS, just dig in and get the effing job done whatever it takes.

This is a program culture we can all rock with.