Game 29: GMU (18-10 / 7-8) vs Duquesne (17-11 / 7-8) on Saturday, March 2, at 2:00 PM.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not too pleased with Polite right now either....

I guess this is the part of the Patrick Holloway-esque play where I turn on him.

Side note: I love just going up to people at work and saying "A lot of rumors going around," and then just walking away. Drives people nuts.

Am I the only one who does this? I don't think I'll ever get tired of it.
Embrace your villain arc.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
My understanding is that just prevented the NCAA from punishing schools for 3rd parties getting involved in the recruiting process. The two rules still are in place:

NIL Artilce

"...policies involving NIL compensation remain in place and will be enforced, including prohibitions on schools directly playing athletes and any payment or compensation being tied specifically to athletic performance"

While they can talk, theoretically, who would want to sign a deal ahead of time with a guy that is willing to stop playing just before the conference tournament if they can't force him to come to the school in the contract?
Forcing someone to take an extra X dollars wouldn’t be particularly difficult esp given age and economic background of many of the players.

Dawgs99

Starter
If this is true, and based on CTS comments in the post game presser I think there is some validity to it, I hope the staff helps him pack his shit and we don't see him at another game. This stuff work both ways.....

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I've been hesitant to post on this thread, because I feel like we're all assuming a plausible rumor is true and jumping on Hall, when we actually don't have clear confirmation of the situation. If the rumor is wrong, this thread is going to look very ugly in hindsight.

That said, the system is the problem. There have to be roster rules, just like any other level of sports league has. The NCAA got itself in legal jeopardy by applying its roster rules inconsistently as much as anything else. What's next, do we allow transfers between semesters? Where does it stop? It's obvious that this isn't sustainable. Some kind of correction is necessary, whether it be through collective bargaining, employment contracts, or what have you.

I don't blame Hall or any other player for doing what they have to do in the current environment. I think most of us would have done crazy things for a six-figure check at that age. I may think less of a player for prioritizing money over the team, the current opportunity, or his own career development, but at the end of the day, this chaos is inevitable until the market finds a new, stable system.

I do blame the institutions reaching out to our players while our season is ongoing. That's bad for everyone, including the players.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Forcing someone to take an extra X dollars wouldn’t be particularly difficult esp given age and economic background of many of the players.
I am having a hard time understanding your point. Can you elaborate?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Not likely, but I hope Bill asks Coach Skinn some tough questions about this subject on tonight's Coach's Show.
Hope you're right on this but I'd bet against tough questions on that topic. Usually Tony (like about every head coach) plays it very close to the vest, at least in talking about injuries even, let alone this sort of controversy).

Hadn't seen that the show was tonight....is that for sure?

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Screen Shot 2024-03-04 at 4.34.03 PM.png

By George.

Starter
None of this is sustainable, especially the donate part. Smart people knew this a year ago when you were jocking NIL over in that thread and saying naive things like "I think the right relationships will still play the biggest role in recruiting."

So where should my donation go this April, when I'm on the hook for my tax bill? Pat Club? NIL Collective? The University?

Do you have a % suggested breakdown, guy who suggests everything that is better for a school like Tennessee than Mason?

Donate to us! You know the grind. Headed to our 9th consecutive A10 tourney and need alllll the money

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’d forgotten the coaches show is tonight, but I think it’s a fair question to ask if you word it correctly.

“Should we expect to see Hall suit up again in a Mason uniform this season”

“Are any scholarship rostered players out for the season”

Any number of variations of this to where he can choose how to address it, but I absolutely do not think it should be an off limits question if he doesn’t preemptively address it during the show. Might go just to ask this tonight, anyone else planning on being there?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I’d forgotten the coaches show is tonight, but I think it’s a fair question to ask if you word it correctly.

“Should we expect to see Hall suit up again in a Mason uniform this season”

“Are any scholarship rostered players out for the season”

Any number of variations of this to where he can choose how to address it, but I absolutely do not think it should be an off limits question if he doesn’t preemptively address it during the show. Might go just to ask this tonight, anyone else planning on being there?
Assuming TS will be there, I hope you get some details.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I am having a hard time understanding your point. Can you elaborate?
It was a quick comment. Simply saying that if the rumors are true and a school is offering bags of money to a 22 year old it likely wouldn’t be too difficult to get him to sign.

Insofar as Hall’s ethics are concerned I really don’t see an issue. What would any of us say if Key went down with an ACL in a tournament game that really has no meaning to Mason going forward? Jeez too bad he had a promising career. Who here is going to chip in?

As some have pointed out the system is what it is and until such time as it’s changed every team out there is going to have this kind problem. Someone here said when the P5 are affected by this things shall change. Hoping this happens sooner rather than later.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It was a quick comment. Simply saying that if the rumors are true and a school is offering bags of money to a 22 year old it likely wouldn’t be too difficult to get him to sign.

Insofar as Hall’s ethics are concerned I really don’t see an issue. What would any of us say if Key went down with an ACL in a tournament game that really has no meaning to Mason going forward? Jeez too bad he had a promising career. Who here is going to chip in?

As some have pointed out the system is what it is and until such time as it’s changed every team out there is going to have this kind problem. Someone here said when the P5 are affected by this things shall change. Hoping this happens sooner rather than later.
Now I understand. What if it is two (or more) schools? One or more of them is going to lose out. Since you can't require him to come to your school in the contract, you could be outbid by one of the other schools if you already signed and paid him. He could theoretically be getting money from multiple other schools in that scenario. That is why I am saying that scenario doesn't seem likely that someone has already signed a new NIL deal with another school (pardon the inexact lingo) at this point. It would be all risk to to the side that is doing the paying.

Is talking going on? Absolutely.

FlPatriot

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Now I understand. What if it is two (or more) schools? One or more of them is going to lose out. Since you can't require him to come to your school in the contract, you could be outbid by one of the other schools if you already signed and paid him. He could theoretically be getting money from multiple other schools in that scenario. That is why I am saying that scenario doesn't seem likely that someone has already signed a new NIL deal with another school (pardon the inexact lingo) at this point. It would be all risk to to the side that is doing the paying.

Is talking going on? Absolutely.
I imagine any agreement would be structured such that the player would have to actually show up and/or hit certain metrics ‘compliant’ with NIL rules before any monies changed hands.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I imagine any agreement would be structured such that the player would have to actually show up and/or hit certain metrics ‘compliant’ with NIL rules before any monies changed hands.
There are still bag men. You take a kid some cash he will listen to what you have to say. There can be a verbal agreement in place. This is what the transfer rules helped prevent some what. Now its going to be hell for coaches for a few years until they figure out a correction.