Game 27: Richmond, Feb 26th, 7 PM, MASN

I haven't read through all these posts since yesterday afternoon. my thoughts on last night:
- there was zero energy in the building at the tip. I'm shocked we came out and played as well as we did, seeing we have nothing to play for and they are (now, probably "were") on the bubble.

I hope there continues to be little energy in the building at the onset. Maybe if the players think they're on a neutral floor we can defend Patriot Center better vs. Duquesne and next year.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe, just maybe, we could get off to a good enough start so that these late-season games actually mean something. Is that too much to ask?

This is seriously the first season since the late 90's that our late season games are fairly meaningless (though to those planning to go to NYC avoiding the PIG is a big deal), and you're hyperbolizing like we've been some cellar dwellar for the last decade.

We get it, you hate Hewitt and think he is killing our program. If we lose to GW Sunday, you can certainly litter that thread with all the negativity you want, but after a win can't we simply be happy for our seniors and other players and be proud that in a lost season they are still busting their asses and trying to improve?

I would like to give Hewitt some credit for shortening the rotation as well. I still have minor issues with how he alternates some players down the stretch, like Holloway and Moore, but there's no doubt we should just be playing eight at this point, especially if we're going to sit in a 2-3 for a lot of the night.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Rumors being rumors, but I hear Gray/Edwards/Okoloji will be riding the pine at other schools after this season.

Can't blame those guys for trying to find a place where they can get some playing time in their final year of eligibility. It's obvious at this point that it's not going to be at Mason.

But losing them, in addition to the 4 seniors (including Arledge) really has the potential to be disastrous for our program.

Hopefully all 3 are in good standing academically, so if they do leave, they don't crush our APR score on their way out of town.

And if they do leave, Hewitt needs to bring in either JUCOs or (preferably) senior transfers who can come in and contribute right away.

The last team I saw try to make a 7-man freshman class work was UNCW. We all know how that worked out for them.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I would like to give Hewitt some credit for shortening the rotation as well. I still have minor issues with how he alternates some players down the stretch, like Holloway and Moore, but there's no doubt we should just be playing eight at this point, especially if we're going to sit in a 2-3 for a lot of the night.

I agree with you on this. One of the things I noticed down the stretch that I agreed with, was that he went with a lineup of MM, Holloway, BA, Marko, and JJ at points down the stretch. It most likely was for ball handling purposes as Copes came in at points too, but to me I thought that put the team in the best position to break presses.

I'm no expert by any stretch but I did notice that and thought it was positive.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Why would they leave in their junior year? Unless its for a DII school then fine, b/c AO and CE clearly aren't cut out for the A10.

Can't blame those guys for trying to find a place where they can get some playing time in their final year of eligibility. It's obvious at this point that it's not going to be at Mason.

But losing them, in addition to the 4 seniors (including Arledge) really has the potential to be disastrous for our program.

Hopefully all 3 are in good standing academically, so if they do leave, they don't crush our APR score on their way out of town.

And if they do leave, Hewitt needs to bring in either JUCOs or (preferably) senior transfers who can come in and contribute right away.

The last team I saw try to make a 7-man freshman class work was UNCW. We all know how that worked out for them.

Recruiting more than five usually is hard, because obviously some of the guys are not then automatically the guy at their position when they are seniors.

The flip side of that when you have a large class is that freshmen are enticed by the possibility of playing right away. I remember pointing that out to Hancock when I met him when he was a frosh about his fairly large class, and that was clearly on his mind at that point.

I do think this is premature. Don't think Edwards, AO and Gray are necessarily gone; certainly not all. Actually I think it would be a mistake for Hewitt to run them all off anyway.

I agree with you on this. One of the things I noticed down the stretch that I agreed with, was that he went with a lineup of MM, Holloway, BA, Marko, and JJ at points down the stretch. It most likely was for ball handling purposes as Copes came in at points too, but to me I thought that put the team in the best position to break presses.

I'm no expert by any stretch but I did notice that and thought it was positive.

Yeah. I really liked how he finally went with Marko and Jenkins on most possessions with a lead. Obviously paid off with Marko.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
This is seriously the first season since the late 90's that our late season games are fairly meaningless (though to those planning to go to NYC avoiding the PIG is a big deal), and you're hyperbolizing like we've been some cellar dwellar for the last decade.

We get it, you hate Hewitt and think he is killing our program. If we lose to GW Sunday, you can certainly litter that thread with all the negativity you want, but after a win can't we simply be happy for our seniors and other players and be proud that in a lost season they are still busting their asses and trying to improve?

Make it personal if you want. I'm not gonna do that.

But it's not just me who "thinks" Hewitt is killing our program.

Notwithstanding last night, the results of the past 3 seasons are right out there for everyone to see -- and I would find it very difficult at this point to argue that the program is moving in the right direction under his leadership.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Great to see the guys pull out a win last night. The Patriot Center was mostly dead the whole game but that's because we've all had our hearts ripped out multiple times this year and didn't want it to happen again.

Richmond gifted us with an awful offensive game plan. They took twelve 3s in the first half and missed most of them. Our defense is pretty bad against a simple inside-out offensive scheme, but Richmond seemed content to swing the ball around the perimeter and take jumpers the whole time. There didn't seem to be an emphasis on getting the ball inside the paint at all. That was strange, particularly since I think Mooney is a pretty good coach.

Great to see the guys pull out a win last night. The Patriot Center was mostly dead the whole game but that's because we've all had our hearts ripped out multiple times this year and didn't want it to happen again.

Richmond gifted us with an awful offensive game plan. They took twelve 3s in the first half and missed most of them. Our defense is pretty bad against a simple inside-out offensive scheme, but Richmond seemed content to swing the ball around the perimeter and take jumpers the whole time. There didn't seem to be an emphasis on getting the ball inside the paint at all. That was strange, particularly since I think Mooney is a pretty good coach.

They don't really have a true post up guy. Running the Princeton offense, they don't really need one most of the time. As many have pointed out, not having Lindsay help run their offense hurts them a ton. They have 8 scholarship players right now. They are NIT bound.

Scythe

Starter
I think the House of Cards discussion is what helped us fight back during the spiders late run. I'm really happy we won, and refuse to be negative on our win.

They don't really have a true post up guy. Running the Princeton offense, they don't really need one most of the time. As many have pointed out, not having Lindsay help run their offense hurts them a ton. They have 8 scholarship players right now. They are NIT bound.

Barring a post up threat I would have preferred a 3-2 (to find the shooter) or even 1-3-1 to a 2-3.

But somehow I get the feeling this isn't a team you teach new defenses to in the middle of a season--half of them still don't even know basic 2-3 rotations.

Dawgs99

Starter
I think AO is the only obvious choice to transfer out after the season as it appears hes on track to graduate this spring. If this happens Hewitt needs to bring in a senior transfer looking for more PT, preferably a guy who can shot the jumper.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Gray should transfer as well..the ship has obviously sailed on him getting meaningful and consistent minutes under Hewitt. He's barely played for two seasons now, no way he becomes a factor next season. He should take his talents elsewhere.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
We need Hewitt to get over whatever problems he has with Gray and make sure he stays.

Not suggesting that Gray is some kind of all-conference talent, but we're going to be in need of scoring punch next season and the one thing I know he can do well is put the ball in the basket.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
We need Hewitt to get over whatever problems he has with Gray and make sure he stays.

Not suggesting that Gray is some kind of all-conference talent, but we're going to be in need of scoring punch next season and the one thing I know he can do well is put the ball in the basket.

I agree with you and think Gray could really help us next year. But, after two seasons of inconsistent play, why would Hewitt suddenly favor Gray over anyone else on the roster, especially his own recruits?

It's sad what has happened to Gray's career here at Mason. No reason to completely waste a player like that.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree with you and think Gray could really help us next year. But, after two seasons of inconsistent play, why would Hewitt suddenly favor Gray over anyone else on the roster, especially his own recruits?

I don't expect Hewitt to do so, but I can still hope he'll come around when he realizes we sorely lack scoring punch on the wing.

mason2k1

Starter
Agreed, However can we find someone else to inbound the ball other then Makro?
After his stolen inbound / foul sequence, every inbound thereafter appeared ... extremely challenging.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Agreed, However can we find someone else to inbound the ball other then Makro?
After his stolen inbound / foul sequence, every inbound thereafter appeared ... extremely challenging.

Inbounding the ball doesn't seem like it'll ever come easy. We seem to have troubles regardless of who is trying to get the ball in.