Game 27: GMU (14-12 / 6-7) at GW (12-13 / 6-6) on Wednesday, February 15, at 7:00 PM.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Mason needed guards on guards. Otherwise, Bishop and Adams would have eaten us alive with assists and layups. They're too quick when a big comes out to guard them on a switch.
Not many times that Mason used 2 bigs on the floor. More offensive space on the floor which clearly helped Josh....not too often that GW could double team him. So Justyn earned more time--25 min which is 5-10 more than usual.
Correct. Henry got beat the few times in the second half, and I suspect Ojiako didn’t help much either. Going with athleticism and guards helped keep their guards at bay.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I should add that I think Kim English coached one of his better games of the year. The scouting report to make Biishop go to his right slowed hIm down enough to make a difference, and we looked like we were more prepared for their press. Overall, he seemed to have a much better grasp of the rotation and in-game adjustments.
Having Ticket back makes such a difference even when he fails to score a single point. Between him and Saquan, you have two plus perimeter defenders and that makes it easier for the other three guys on the floor. Also thought Coop was good enough on D tonight that it didn’t bother me his shot mostly wasn’t falling.

Holding GW to 53 points on their floor is pretty damn good.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How was the popcorn at Smith Center? It has to be the best choice from their three-item menu:

1.) Popcorn
2.) Yesterday's leftover street cart hotdogs (on stale buns)
3.) Twizzlers

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Told you people that line was f-cked up! Vegas made a lot of money throwing that bait out there.

Missed layups and FTs aside and Ticket still being rusty (0-7), this was one our most complete games of the year. Fernandez was lights out, Josh displayed a great array of shots, Ronnie settled down and played a very good second half, and Singleton provided more valuable minutes on defense and running the point.
Ugly start to the game but loved the max effort on D, which kept us in it until we started to find our rhythm.

I've been to lots of games this year but that stretch late in the 2nd half -- when it turned into the Josh and Justyn show -- was something to behold. I don't remember seeing us turn it on quite like that in any of our other games. Certainly not when it mattered.

Josh's shots all had a high-degree of difficulty and each of Justyn's successive threes seemed to be launched from further and further out.

Loved the way the ball moved with the lineup on the floor for those 4-5 mins - Josh, Ticket, Coop, Sequan, and Justyn. The ball really zipped around.

THAT was FUN!

Earl the Squirrel

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ugly start to the game but loved the max effort on D, which kept us in it until we started to find our rhythm.

I've been to lots of games this year but that stretch late in the 2nd half -- when it turned into the Josh and Justyn show -- was something to behold. I don't remember seeing us turn it on quite like that in any of our other games. Certainly not when it mattered.

Josh's shots all had a high-degree of difficulty and each of Justyn's successive threes seemed to be launched from further and further out.

Loved the way the ball moved with the lineup on the floor for those 4-5 mins - Josh, Ticket, Coop, Sequan, and Justyn. The ball really zipped around.

THAT was FUN!
Incidentally, you put a pencil behind Caputo's ear and hang an apron on him and the guy fits in nicely behind a deli counter.

CAPUTO: Who's next?

CUSTOMER: Can I get a pastrami and corned beef on rye?

CAPUTO: You got it! Toasted???

CUSTOMER: Yeah.

CAPUTO: Slaw? Pickle on the side??

CUSTOMER: Sure.

CAPUTO: Anything to drink, or is that going to do it for you, buddy?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agree about how good the offense was looking in the last 4-5 minutes of the game. Great ball movement. Josh really picking his spots (which was pretty much anywhere from inside the 3-point line).

I could not disagree more with this. Devin is even worse at defense than Ronnie. I was glad they went with Saquan at the point towards the end to spell Ronnie. I thought Saquan played well.

call me crazy, but I would've rather kept XJ than have all three of them. LOL

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
After last night can we maybe pump the brakes on GW and Caputo being further along than we are? Best defensive effort we've had in a long time. We held them to 9 combined points from 3 and the charity stripe, and basically forced them to just take contested isolation midrange shots all night (they had 6 assists the whole game). We'd be killing KE if our team had a performance like that.

On the other side of things, Mason fans literally made up about 40% of the crowd and they could only generate a few hundred of their own fans in what was a huge game to them as well. Lastly, I still find it so classless that their cheerleaders and dance team try to distract opposing free throw shooters. Maybe that's just the old curmudgeon in me sneaking out.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I could not disagree more with this. Devin is even worse at defense than Ronnie. I was glad they went with Saquan at the point towards the end to spell Ronnie. I thought Saquan played well.
I completely respect your opinion. We disagree, no worries.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
After last night can we maybe pump the brakes on GW and Caputo being further along than we are? Best defensive effort we've had in a long time. We held them to 9 combined points from 3 and the charity stripe, and basically forced them to just take contested isolation midrange shots all night (they had 6 assists the whole game). We'd be killing KE if our team had a performance like that.

On the other side of things, Mason fans literally made up about 40% of the crowd and they could only generate a few hundred of their own fans in what was a huge game to them as well. Lastly, I still find it so classless that their cheerleaders and dance team try to distract opposing free throw shooters. Maybe that's just the old curmudgeon in me sneaking out.
Curmudgeons of the World Unite!!

Verdad

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lastly, I still find it so classless that their cheerleaders and dance team try to distract opposing free throw shooters. Maybe that's just the old curmudgeon in me sneaking out.
You realize ours do the exact same thing? :)

*cough*CURMUDGEON*cough*

Last night was fun, an excellent defensive performance and KE let Oduro ride as he should. The Saquan-Ticket tag team on Adams and Bishop was excellent in the second half. A defensive game plan was had and we executed it brilliantly. Some hope has now risen in me for the A-10 season.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

You mean when we had someone mentioned that GW showed significant improvement under Caputo this year and that we should be ready to toss English aside after 3 years? https://www.masonhoops.com/threads/game-22-gmu-12-9-4-4-vs-st-joe’s-9-11-3-5-on-sunday-january-29-at-noon.2457/post-175711

Last edited:

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Pretty sure our teams slide to the sidelines on free free throws to get out of their vision. I could be wrong.
That is what I recall as well. Now, our mascot and Doc Nix and the band will do some stuff to try to distract.

I just checked a replay of the RI game and confirmed that the dance team and cheerleaders have moved off to the sidelines while RI is shooting free throws.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Also nobody has mentioned it yet, but Josh had a nasty FU dunk in the final minute that I personally loved to see. It was about time we are mean on the court and don't give AF.

LOVED it.

A rivalry is definitely starting a little bit. It just sucks both programs have been so mediocre for so long.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Also nobody has mentioned it yet, but Josh had a nasty FU dunk in the final minute that I personally loved to see. It was about time we are mean on the court and don't give AF.

LOVED it.

Saquan gave up an easy layup so Josh could destroy the rim on that play.

Was fun just listening to the announcers getting quieter and quieter as Josh big turnaround jumper after turnaround jumper I could almost hear them say “well, what can you do?”