Game 25: HOMECOMING against St. Bonaventure, Feb 15th, 6 PM, MASN

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Hold up. I was being serious. It's crazy that one or two guys never get help. Ie the players can't play as a team.

My apologies, GS. I mistook your comment as me giving the coaches an out, which was not my intention. Defensive problems aside, I just wish we could be consistent from game to game offensively. We gave up 80 points at UMass last week, but we won by 11 because we had five players score in double figures.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Poorman Profit is Bernard Clinton. He will forever haunt George Mason.. uhhh ... G Mas .... and these boards.

The only time PMP will argue a call is questionable is when it was made against the opponents of the teams he's supposedly a fan of (see the Team USA hockey thread).

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Tom and Gemini, I think you are both right (or wrong depending on how you look at it). The total points (of course we have to have more than the other team) or how they are distributed amongst players does not matter nearly as much as how efficient (per possession) the team is. Each team gets the same number of possessions per game (it can only be off by at most 2 per game depending on who gets it last each half and the way the possession arrow falls for the second half). So it is only a matter of how effective you are at using the possessions you get.

It is much more important how many points you score per possession or how you limit their scoring per possession on the defensive end. You have to be good on one side or the other (would be great if you were on both) to win games. We are not good at either end. We are currently ranked 145 on both ends of the court. vcu was mentioned earlier. They are bad on the offensive end much like us (104) but since they are so good on the defensive end (6) they end up winning most of their games. St. Louis is an even better example. They are ranked 166 on offense but they are ranked number 2 on defensive efficiency.

You don't have to be great on both ends, but you do have to be either great on one end or decent on both ends to be successful. We are, unfortunately, neither. Others have said this before, but we seem to have no identity as a team. We don't seem to focus on good O or D. What is really disappointing is that over his GT days, Hewitt's teams were typically good on the D side and not the O side. The O side has remained the same at Mason, but the good D has not materialized at Mason. I fear this is where the difference in having NBA talent at GT and not at Mason is showing up. If you have superior athletes (relative to your opponents), you are less likely to get burnt in a man D.

That is what I always saw was the fatal flaw in the Westhead logic. He did not focus on being efficient on either end. He just wanted quantity of shots on the offensive end and no effort wasted on the defensive end. It seemed like he did not realize that each team gets the ball (effectively) the same number of times in a game. If he had at least concentrated on something else, like rebounding (which increases your efficiencies on both ends), then his plan might have worked.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah, Brian I think in order for Hewitt's defense to work you have to have 4 players who can play all four positions and then a center who can clear up the glass.

It seems this is what Hewitt is trying to build with Jackson, Lockett, Mayimba, Jenkins, Royal and Porter. But I don't think he will be around to see if it will work at Mason and the next coach is going to have to figure out how to turn 4 small forwards and a center into a starting 5

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Great analysis, Brian. With Coach L, we could have bad offensive games and still win due to almost always playing great defense. Under the current regime, we can't afford to have off shooting nights, because we know more often than not our defense is going to give up way too many points.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
That's the play...I was at the game. In your opinion it was the right play. From where I sat, which was in the corner where it occurred, it was a close call. It effectively ended the game. Clinton is a horrible ref who should not work Mason games or any other games.

And that 2007 team was hardly incompetent. And I am blaming the ref for not letting the players decide the outcome.

G Mas, please, no crawl has ever shown that abbreviation.

Wasn't referring to 2007 team being incompetent, but people on these boards always blaming the officials when a poor team loses games. Do you expect officials to give the benefit of the doubt to bad basketball teams? It doesn't work that way. You have to earn your calls with quality play.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Bernard Clinton isn't the main reason we lost, but that was an awful, hackish, one-sided piece of officiating he committed, as it always is. I thought we had escaped him by moving to the A10 but I guess not.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Funny thing about Bernard Clinton is how many Mason fans he seemingly knew and was friendly with before the game. Terrible ref.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk