Game 24: LaSalle University, SUNDAY, February 10th, 2 PM, Stadium/MASN

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
For anyone that listens to the Junkies, they played a soundbyte during the sports update that Pete Medhurst does in the 9 AM hour from Paulsen.

By George.

Starter
Found this on LaSalle's boards:

I was at the game today.Nice support by La Salle fans and very spirited. The arena is nice but less than half full. Wonder what it takes to have support when they are in top 4 in the A10? The band is awesome. A tick below vcu but we would kill for a band like that. They had every instrument you could think of. Must have 150 members.

I don't know if this was mentioned on the broadcast but Ted (TV Ted) Valentine was AWFUL. After the first media timeout in the first half he starts shouting and gesturing to Ashley to knock it off and keep quiet. During the under 4 time out in the first half, TV Ted did something I never saw a ref do. SIX separate times he came over to the La Salle bench and let almost all the coaches have a piece of his mind during ONE timeout. Then after another stoppage he came over to Kenny Johnson and had another conversation with our coach.

No surprise he calls a Technical at the start of the second half on both players. Of course he stood across the court and never made an attempt to tell the players to take it easy. He just fired a couple of T's. It was also terrible to hear him yapping at players like Carter and Phiri. Seriously I only remember one time where they went over to a GMU player or the bench.

The bench technical on Ashley wasn't even called by Ted it was another ref. I guess he needed to get into the act.

This crew allowed a critical double double by GMU right in front of the La Salle bench. Pookie is clocked when trying to call timeout on the loose ball. #31 for GMU had zero fouls for the game but should have been called for half a dozen illegal screens and TWICE lunging into Croswell to draw the foul. He initiated contact but no call. Ed was straight up with his body and arms. Beatty called for a block that was clearly a charge. Tough day when it's 21-11 in fouls on the score sheet.

I know one player seems to have drawn the ire of the board but this was truly a game where there were a dozen little things that need to be corrected. By everyone.

This team battled the whole game. Got off to a slow start especially defensively (Ashley was not happy and let them know it). They got it to the point with less than two minutes where they could pull it out but didn't. Need to keep working and listen to Ashley who is always teaching.

Better days are ahead.

Read more: http://explorertown.proboards.com/thread/3347/game-thread-george-mason-2pm#ixzz5fDfmnI9n

This must be the crazies that were sitting behind me screaming for a foul all game long. It was maddening. TV Ted had to talk to La Salle’s bench a bunch cause they wouldn’t stop crying. We sat right behind them, although I liked Howard, the bench was a show all game. They were fighting with each other and whining. It’s always easy to blame the refs but I thought they let the guys play yesterday.

At one point Howard looked at the entire bench and said, “Y’all are a bunch of frauds, all of you!”

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
This must be the crazies that were sitting behind me screaming for a foul all game long. It was maddening. TV Ted had to talk to La Salle’s bench a bunch cause they wouldn’t stop crying. We sat right behind them, although I liked Howard, the bench was a show all game. They were fighting with each other and whining. It’s always easy to blame the refs but I thought they let the guys play yesterday.

At one point Howard looked at the entire bench and said, “Y’all are a bunch of frauds, all of you!”

One of my friends that sits on the bench side of the arena texted me midway through the 1st half and said, I would put money on LaSalle's coach getting a technical. Well, we know how that ended up, although I was hoping for an ejection.

I don't think a lot of people know the rules of basketball, and realize a lot of times contact is made after the ball is touched.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Playing the post tight worked the last minutes of the game when outside rotation was more aggressive and forced LaSalle into some bad shots. Maybe the game plan thinking was to deny Pookie any easy lanes.

There were a couple of steals, jump balls, and bad shots that came from doubling the post if memory serves me correctly. A little less against a hot team makes sense but it wasn't a total strategy failure.

mason89

Starter

I will say this: At the end, when the game was out of reach, he turned again and said he was proud of the team's fight and that they played a good game, but were just beat by the other team...or something to that effect. He's a young coach and will learn the art of when to say something and when to bite his tongue. His guys seem to have bought in considering he didn't lose them after an 0-10 start.

TV Ted, though, was consistent. At one point Otis was complaining to him about a call and TV Ted told him...rather sternly...to essentially get out of his ear. When Otis told him he was one of the captains, the ref told him he didn't want to hear it. At least he didn't give him his second tech.

Last edited:
OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I will say this: At the end, when the game was out of reach, he turned again and said he was proud of the team's fight and that they played a good game, but were just beat by the other team...or something to that effect. He's a young coach and will learn the art of when to say something and when to bite his tongue. His guys seem to have bought in considering he didn't lose them after an 0-10 start.

TV Ted, though, was consistent. At one point Otis was complaining to him about a call and TV Ted told him...rather sternly...to essentially get out of his ear. When Otis told him he was one of the captains, the ref told him he didn't want to hear it. At least he didn't give him his second tech.

LOL! I know TV Ted thinks he is the game, but isn't the whole point of being one of the captains is to respectfully have a conversation with an official when something isn't right?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Which Ref is TV Ted? Photo or video, please.

Why is he called TV Ted? Have I missed something?
the caucasian fellow last night.. Ted Valentine is known throughout college sport as a cocky, me-first, whistle-happy gloater... known for taking over games and making it about him

Most notable probably for his Bob Knight run in... but my favorite is when he looked like he was going to punch Mick Cronin of Cincy

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
the caucasian fellow last night.. Ted Valentine is known throughout college sport as a cocky, me-first, whistle-happy gloater... known for taking over games and making it about him

Most notable probably for his Bob Knight run in... but my favorite is when he looked like he was going to punch Mick Cronin of Cincy
Is there no oversight of these officials? Just search his name on google and he is universally loathed. How is he still working?

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer

The Great PATSby

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Not that it matters or anything, but TV Ted is definitely not Caucasian.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe it was just the angle I was sitting at but Calixte’s free throw motion looked much improved. Good sign.
I had a guest at the game with me and when Calixte went to shoot free throws, I said "watch his form, he looks like he is doing a shot put and throws almost a line drive". Then Calixte shoots and it looks pretty good. I was surprised, pleasantly. It was very noticeable.