Game 24: AT UMass, Feb 12th, 7 PM, NO TV

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Can anybody else find highlights or the post-game press conference from last night's game? I checked GoMason.com, and all I see are clips and interviews from the women's game.

Perhaps the snow has caused a delay.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps the snow has caused a delay.

That was my guess. Based on Bill Rohland's tweets last night, it seems like the team rushed to the airport to make sure they were able to land at Dulles, so I'm sure everything has been a bit chaotic. The good news is the team tweeted out a photo of them practicing today, so it looks like they've been able to stay on schedule.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
That was my guess. Based on Bill Rohland's tweets last night, it seems like the team rushed to the airport to make sure they were able to land at Dulles, so I'm sure everything has been a bit chaotic. The good news is the team tweeted out a photo of them practicing today, so it looks like they've been able to stay on schedule.

Yea, Bill said something in his post-game interview to the asst coach (?) that he'd keep it short so they could rush to the airport.

Kellogg's post game presser I think was posted elsewhere:
http://www.masslive.com/umassbasketball/index.ssf/2014/02/video_umass_basketball_vs_geor.html

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought flying back right after the game was risky, but damn, if it creates urgency..... where we flying too right after every game? This could be key in turning around a crappy season.

mason2k1

Starter
Copes underperformed last season and i thought he was going to beast it this season. I thought wright was going to be wright. He hasn't shown up. I thought our PG position would've gotten better on the offseason. Those small couple of things which i didn't believe to be totally unreasonable last season could've really changed this season around. Copes anchoring down low. Sherrod showing up every game. 3-3 or better and playing with confidence and swagger that i saw during the UMass game.

mason89

Starter
Can anybody else find highlights or the post-game press conference from last night's game? I checked GoMason.com, and all I see are clips and interviews from the women's game.

They finally posted the highlights on PatriotVision, but not no presser.

JBiggs

Starter
They finally posted the highlights on PatriotVision, but not no presser.
Just watched - where in the hell did that Erik Copes come from?! His footwork and intensity was a thing of beauty! For a second, it looked like we had Julius Randle down there playing for the green and gold.

JBiggs

Starter
Also should point out that at the 3:15 mark, after blocking Chaz's layup, we start a fast break, and Allen stops to help Chaz up. Hell of a kid, that BA.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Just watched - where in the hell did that Erik Copes come from?! His footwork and intensity was a thing of beauty! For a second, it looked like we had Julius Randle down there playing for the green and gold.

The problem with Copes is he always picks up two early fouls and then he is mentally lost for the rest of the game. I don't think it's a coincidence he played his best game ever on a night when he didn't commit his first foul until the 6:17 mark of the first half. Normally at that juncture, he's sitting on the bench, staring at the floor and waiting for the second half to start.

The more he stays on the court, the more damage he can create by scoring, rebounding and blocking shots. Hopefully, something clicked the other night, because that's the player we all thought we were getting when he signed at Mason.

Note: His second and third fouls came eight seconds apart midway through the second half, so this is obviously something that is still a work in progress.

Last edited:

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I watched this game again and two things stand out to me - for the first time I see how all of our talent can come together to be very tough to beat. Copes playing like this just completes the team. Jenkins and Moore have demonstrated they are the future. It looked like they all finally got it. Even the games we lost against St. Louis and vcu - we were in it and competitive up until the end. I will be very interested to see how we finish out the season and go into next year.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...13-14-college-basketball-season-so-far/page/3

When: Feb. 12

Where: Amherst, Mass.

How it happened

In what's been an otherwise lost season for George Mason, the Patriots came alive on the road behind 22 points from 1,500-point scorer Sherrod Wright and 12 points and 15 rebounds from Erik Copes to stun the Minutemen.

Why it's a big upset

UMass had struggled on the road in the weeks leading up to this loss, dropping three in a row at one point and barely edging George Mason 88-87 in mid-January. GMU had just won its first league game four days before against lowly Duquesne, but the Minutemen were 10-0 at the Mullins Center before Chaz Williams unleashed a 3-of-15 (including 1-of-8 from long distance) effort.

mason2k1

Starter
9/10 of 10 biggest upsets this seasons. Wow. If only we could've added STL and a couple more to this list, then they wouldn't have been such bad upsets. [shrugs]