Game 22: GMU (15-6 / 4-4) at UMass (13-7 / 4-4) on Saturday, February 3, at Noon.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Ya know, though, we've USUALLY been on the W side of these quirky games:

1.) Villanova 2011 NCAAT – a late-game rebound falls into the chest of Ryan Pearson lying on his back to keep Mason's narrow lead.

2.) The St. Joe's "Oh-NO!" game a la Ian Boyd

3.) The "Hot Dog Incident" at JMU

4.) The 5-point-play to come from behind by four points and 10 ticks on the clock to defeat JMU in 2017 in Harrisburg

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

1.) Villanova 2011 NCAAT – a late-game rebound falls into the chest of Ryan Pearson lying on his back to keep Mason's narrow lead.

4.) The 5-point-play to come from behind by four points and 10 ticks on the clock to defeat JMU in 2017 in Harrisburg
You forgot several overtime wins over UMASS too

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Jalen's last second put back against Davidson.
W&M's missed two free throws with no time left on the clock. circa 1985.

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
On another note, did anyone see Okojie after Hall's foul? He followed Hall around jawing at him with his arms spread wide for at least 15 seconds afther that mistake.
I take it that it was Baraka who shouted the, "OH-NO!" just after he saw Hall intentionally foul What's-His-Name?

Anyway, that final possession could have gone many ways, friends. Woody could have hit the 3. Okojie was an inch away from an And-One.

Tag it. Mark it. Categorize it. File it on the vault.

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not so worried about a top-four conference record anymore. The new structure of the tournament gives all teams a day off before the weekend's games. Winning the tournament as a #5 or below is not as daunting anymore. One just had to get hot at the right time to take the A10 Tourney.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I take it that it was Baraka who shouted the, "OH-NO!" just after he saw Hall intentionally foul What's-His-Name?

Anyway, that final possession could have gone many ways, friends. Woody could have hit the 3. Okojie was an inch away from an And-One.

Tag it. Mark it. Categorize it. File it on the vault.

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not so worried about a top-four conference record anymore. The new structure of the tournament gives all teams a day off before the weekend's games. Winning the tournament as a #5 or below is not as daunting anymore. One just had to get hot at the right time to take the A10 Tourney.
The Oh No was from a St. Joe's announcer several years ago when Ian Boyd hit a half court shot to win the game. He was in the process of saying "Looks like we're headed to overtime."
Came out "Looks like we're headed to OH No!"

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Another example of Coach Tony Skinn having a player's back:

"The foul was a situational error by the Patriots. George Mason also did not have a timeout down the stretch.

'I thought about this 15 minutes earlier when I called a timeout when I thought the game was about to get out of hand,' George Mason coach Tony Skinn said. 'I probably shouldn’t have called that timeout. It was an unfortunate foul. I think (Hall) thought it was a three-point game. But again, if I have one more timeout obviously, I am burning it right there and that’s not happening.'"

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Oh No was from a St. Joe's announcer several years ago when Ian Boyd hit a half court shot to win the game. He was in the process of saying "Looks like we're headed to overtime."
Came out "Looks like we're headed to OH No!"
I know the St. Joe's "OH-NO"—a Mason Hall of Fame moment.

When Okojie slapped his hands to his head in disbelief upon Hall's gaff, an "OH-NO!" was clearly audible.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know the St. Joe's "OH-NO"—a Mason Hall of Fame moment.

When Okojie slapped his hands to his head in disbelief upon Hall's gaff, an "OH-NO!" was clearly audible.
Really? That loud, huh? Don't blame him!

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I will say Skinn seems to be falling into the same trap that English fell into in his first season not trusting his bench enough.
I am confused by this part of your post. Our bench had 64 minutes and 16 points. Okojie, Newton and Ball were all subbed into the game pretty early in the first half. Our bench was a little hobbled by injuries to Malik and Tre, so there is not a lot deeper we can go in terms of subbing in other players.

I am confused by this part of your post. Our bench had 64 minutes and 16 points. Okojie, Newton and Ball were all subbed into the game pretty early in the first half. Our bench was a little hobbled by injuries to Malik and Tre, so there is not a lot deeper we can go in terms of subbing in other players.
Yea this is a misunderstanding of the depth issues both this year and in KE's first season.

First- can't compare this season and the 2021-22 season. That year (in part because of Polite's injury issues that whole season) we made walk on Blake Buchanan the sixth man. We had very little quality depth. This year, we're regularly seeing double digit minutes from our 6th and 7th guy. That's what you want with probably 5 minutes from an 8th or even 9th guy if things are going to plan.