Game 22: Dayton, Feb 5th, 7 PM, MASN

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
For those that were in 118 or in that general area, late in the game, someone in the student shouted something that appeared to be toward Hewitt, and a girl in the student section countered with something.

Did anyone hear either person's words?

Bricker

Starter
The Post didn't even bother to send someone out to watch the carnage. They ran an AP blurb instead...probably for the best

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I have never been in the media, but isn't 3 minutes a little short for a post game press conference? I would think these should run 10 minutes, but it seems game in and game out, they get shorter and shorter.

I am guessing this is far fetched, but maybe one of the local sports reporters (Lindsey Murphy, Britt McHenry come to mind off hand) should be in the press room to ask the hard hitting questions, because who is there now simply does not do that.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
For those that were in 118 or in that general area, late in the game, someone in the student shouted something that appeared to be toward Hewitt, and a girl in the student section countered with something.

Did anyone hear either person's words?

I heard a shout that had something about "Hewitt" in it, but didn't hear what was actually said.

I was in 101 and someone a section over let out a primal scream with about 10 minutes left. No words, just a frustrated "I can't take it anymore" kind of yell. I was dying.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Welp....humiliated at home. So much for at least playing close games. Year 3 under Hewitt drags on. And on......and on......and on. GMU basketball has been so mismanaged under the likes of TOC in recent years..... I'm reminded of the NY Mets.
damn, you had to remind me I'm a Mets fan. this is going to be a bad 2014 for me......

Ha...I thought I heard the PA guy say the women were up 55-28 at LaSalle last night...saw we lost in what I assumed was a Hewitt-type choke.

Turns out the women were only up 35-28 at halftime and lost, but we should have some serious money on who gets a win first.

What more to say about this team except that it's a staff that can't coach fundamentals to a team that has a very low basketball IQ.

94 dropout

Three-star Recruit
I've had just about as much character building therapy as I can take with this team. I've made it through all the stages and am now dangerously apathetic. Makes sitting next to the opposing fan section a real blast.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Oh, as far as the game I'd like to thank Erik Copes for trying hard and the die-hard students who tried to yell to the bitter end.

I think it was Allen that went over the VIP row for a loose ball last night, gets up, Jenkins walks over to the fan that got nearly run over and shakes their hand.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I have never been in the media, but isn't 3 minutes a little short for a post game press conference?

Not if there's no media outlets there to ask questions. In that case, the coach will just open with a statement and then maybe field a question from Dick Patrick or a Broadside writer.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Not if there's no media outlets there to ask questions. In that case, the coach will just open with a statement and then maybe field a question from Dick Patrick or a Broadside writer.

It's sad to say, but it does appear that Mason basketball is currently irrelevant to the media outside the Mason community.

Scythe

Starter
The Post didn't even bother to send someone out to watch the carnage. They ran an AP blurb instead...probably for the best

Just wait for this:
"Thanks for the water... we lost to a great team who executed better against our guys who also played hard. Questions? No? Thanks for coming..."

A

AAUMAN

Spectator
I know I've been harsh on the coaching staff and players but I truly want to see this team succeed. Last night game was the first time I saw this team look clueless and I'm not going to blame only the coaches because the team/players gave up on the coaching staff last night. It's simple....the ball must be shared in order to get a good shot and that is what DAYTON was doing last night sharing the ball and looking for the open man but George Mason plays too much 1 on 1 ball and it's killing this team. If this team contiunes to play this style of Bball then next year will be the same and that is a shame because this could be a special team with the right mix of players. Byron,Sherrod and Patrick need help scoring and I believe Gray could provide the needed help in scoring but the back court just doesn't play smart.....all 1 on 1 play. If only this team could find the right mix before Homecoming and the A10 tourney then maybe George Mason can go to Brooklyn NY and play with heart and passion and surprise the Bball WORLD.......

Last edited by a moderator:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
AAUMAN,
I've hated Hewitts offense (4 out) since his ga tech days. He isn't going to change it so be ready for no more wins. The backcourt looks like the don't play smart b/c they can't play 1 on 1 but the system is making them play that way. I think Wright can hit alot of set shots. Allen too. Even Gray. But off the dribble with a defender flying at you is way different. Team ball ...yes...Hewitt shit show...no.