Game 22: AT Virginia Commonwealth University, Saturday, February 2nd, 6:30 PM, NBCSN

Mason2005

All-American
GIVING DAY 2023
their best player is PG Marcus Evans... so I assume Greene or kier takes them. Jenkins is a streaky scorer... Otis will have to step it up on either Jenkins or Vann.

Mobley has regressed a ton and Miller should be able to do a great job on him

Santos-Silva has gone from a 55 on 2k to an 85 over one off season. He really is a bull down low. Reuter and Greg will have to play physical with him.. Also a decent free throw shooter
If Otis is on either Jenkins or Vann look for vcu to give that player the ball a ton, huge size advantage there.

If we have under 10 turnovers this game we win automatically.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If Otis is on either Jenkins or Vann look for vcu to give that player the ball a ton, huge size advantage there.

If we have under 10 turnovers this game we win automatically.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Yea, I am not quite sure what matchup Paulsen is going to go with. Otis cannot guard Evans though... but your point about Jenkins and Vann being a size mismatch with Otis is spot on. We will have to see what happens. My gut says Kier on Evans and Javon on Jenkins... but I don't really like the idea of that

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Evans will probably be guarded by Greene, but depending on what he does and what Jenkins does, kier and him may have to switch off.

I see Miller helping possibly with Jenkins since he has the length. But I’m not sure.

Also as far as Silva goes, he’s going to be attacked like other bigs in my opinion, doubles and pushing him out and try to get in the passing lanes.

vcu doesn’t shoot well from 3 as a team statistically, but since they are at home I can see them going off a bit, so it’s very important that Mason continues to get out on the shooters if Silva kicks it out.

Offensively they are going to have to break the press and not play tentatively. Look for the seams and get to the basket to draw fouls as they do. I can also see some good drive and kicks happening so hopefully our guards will be ready to shoot.

I have no clue if this is accurate but this is at least what I am thinking at the moment.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
God bless those of you going down there to cheer us on. I decided years ago that even my love of watching Mason play doesn't make it tolerable to spend 2+ hours around the unwashed masses at Siegel. Whether we won or lost on the court, I always felt like I lost a little bit in the game of life after being there.

It is rare for both teams to have a week leading into this. Would be a nice win to tarnish their RPI a little bit. Can't see why theirs is so high. They beat an awful Texas team and lost at UVA. What else am I missing?

MasonCrew

Starter
If we take this, Otis will have had a .500 record at vcu. I wonder who the last Mason players to say that are?

GMUYoda

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
This game is another game where I would like to see a fast offensive start and strong defense right out of the gate. Can't play soft or weak and must close out on all shots and rotations must be quick and crisp.

Also can't really afford a bad start, as even though we'd come back, it may take a lot of energy to do so. vcu's havoc defense isn't what it once was, but its still going to be difficult at times to break -- so we can't give up easy TOs that lead to easy baskets. We must take care of the ball as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see vcu double Otis at times as soon as he crosses the timeline to force him to get rid of the ball. Kier needs another good night, and Mason really needs a secondary threat -- be it Otis or Greene. Hitting some 3's also would be good from Boyd and Otis.

Since this is at vcu, watch out for the ticky-tack foul calls. I expect us to get called for fouls that wouldn't get called in other games

GMUSig03

All-Conference
Looking at our respective strengths and weaknesses, it seems to me that vcu has more weaknesses and is a significantly worse offensive team. I think this is actually a good matchup for us against them for the first time in recent memory.

Have Kier or Greene lockdown Evans and keep him from driving (he's a terrible 3pt shooter statistically), and our forwards can provide good help defense on Santos-Silva (who is not great from the line). If we can do those two things, we should be in good shape provided we don't go Davidson level cold from 3 and/or they don't go off from 3.

I can see Jenkins being the xfactor for them.

MasonCrew

Starter
I'm also going with my boy who went to vcu and he plans on talking a lot shit. Need this dub!

Nice! I didn't realize you had a special needs child. My uncle actually had downs syndrome as well, and he made my life better through his ability to find joy in any situation. It definitely impacted how I handle stress and just daily life.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Nice! I didn't realize you had a special needs child. My uncle actually had downs syndrome as well, and he made my life better through his ability to find joy in any situation. It definitely impacted how I handle stress and just daily life.

Wow ummmmm man - kids are out of bounds - dude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
We better be ready - they are taking this game very seriously.

I mean, I saw they were having a pep rally earlier today on campus for the game - the energy is through the roof:

vcu Fans.png

undertherock

Preferred Walk-On

When I said "my boy" I meant a close friend of mine not a special needs son lol. I guess I can't speak millenial on these forums...