Game 22: AT St. Joesph's University, Saturday, February 7th, 4 PM, MASN

Pablo

Hall of Famer
In the unlikely event that Coach Hewitt is fired during the season, who does AD Edwards promote to interim head coach?

B9RTjEbCAAAJHYj.jpg:large

Last edited:

Harry

Starter
After watching the game, it seems clear that the front court should have Shevon at center, with a forward rotation of Marko, Royal, and Jenkins. Gray should not play and Porter should sub for Thompson, and not play with him. I think guys need not only playing time, but also playing time together. The more they play, the better they will get.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wow - just looked at the box score. 19 TO's. Didn't realize it was that many but guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ugh! Can we please get a coach that teaches his players to value the ball?

The team did play hard - it's a shame it always goes to waste. Heard some interesting quips in the crowd today. Mason couldn't decide who it wanted to take the ball out of bounds at the end of the game and the St. Joe's fan next to me says "These guys look like they've never played together." Been going on for four years buddy.

Also sat next to the proud parents of a Mason freshman who had made the trip with the Patriot Platoon. Kudos to them for making some noise by the way. Talked to the dad at halftime and I mentioned that I hoped somebody could clean up the mess (that is the GMU program) soon. Guy was like "we're only down 7 - still in the game." Dude, wasn't referring to the game but the program as a whole. Oh - to be a new Mason fan unencumbered by the bitterness that has set in during the Hewitt years. I even had trouble stomaching the mom clapping proudly at the end of the game uttering "Nice game guys!"

Hopefully these nice people will be spared another season of Hewitt and will remain the positive fans that they are.

polepino

Starter
Hopefully these nice people will be spared another season of Hewitt and will remain the positive fans that they are.
Thats the rub though. The newer Mason fans/students dont have the angry connection to the program that the older folks do. To them they enjoy cheering on their school and hoping for a win. There is no connection for them to the Larranaga years and winning basketball here.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Thats the rub though. The newer Mason fans/students dont have the angry connection to the program that the older folks do. To them they enjoy cheering on their school and hoping for a win. There is no connection for them to the Larranaga years and winning basketball here.

If there are people who would go out of their way to watch the slop our university is calling a basketball program these days, watch them lose to an awful team that shot 20 percent on 3s and made only 16 of its 31 free throws, then say "Good game" on their way out of the building, they're not fans ... they're fools.

I get that the athletic department needs their money -- no sports organization operates solely on die-hards -- but at some point you need to have expectations beyond just "Well our guys played hard" or else you should just give every kid a ribbon and pass out the gosh darn orange slices already.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
If there are people who would go out of their way to watch the slop our university is calling a basketball program these days, watch them lose to an awful team that shot 20 percent on 3s and made only 16 of its 31 free throws, then say "Good game" on their way out of the building, they're not fans ... they're fools.

I get that the athletic department needs their money -- no sports organization operates solely on die-hards -- but at some point you need to have expectations beyond just "Well our guys played hard" or else you should just give every kid a ribbon and pass out the gosh darn orange slices already.

I made the trip to Philly, partly because I like road games in an attempt to see different arena, different atmospheres. In addition, two of my childhood friends live with 45 minutes of the arena, so I visited them as well yesterday.

For those that may go there in the future, it was $10 to park yesterday (parking garage, a la vcu).

I felt like I was at a high school game because of how close the seats are to the floor.

sjhawk13

Four-star Recruit
I made the trip to Philly, partly because I like road games in an attempt to see different arena, different atmospheres. In addition, two of my childhood friends live with 45 minutes of the arena, so I visited them as well yesterday.

For those that may go there in the future, it was $10 to park yesterday (parking garage, a la vcu).

I felt like I was at a high school game because of how close the seats are to the floor.

Parking is outrageous. I refuse to pay that.

I like the close seats. Makes me feel slightly less bitter about my astronomical ticket cost.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Wow - just looked at the box score. 19 TO's. Didn't realize it was that many but guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ugh! Can we please get a coach that teaches his players to value the ball?
Wow, I didn't either. FWIW, that's 1 more turnover than we had Wed night against the vaunted vcu defense. My point is- it really doesn't matter who is guarding us, we turn it over

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer

I like the close seats. Makes me feel slightly less bitter about my astronomical ticket cost.

I saw people parked around the neighborhood, but I also remember from "parking wars" how restrictive parking is in Philly, so I didn't want to run the risk.

wijg

Starter
... but at some point you need to have expectations beyond just "Well our guys played hard" or else you should just give every kid a ribbon and pass out the gosh darn orange slices already.
I will be one of the last people to criticize our players under the current coach, but to go in the opposite direction and say it was a good game when it obviously was not just sends the wrong message.

It seems to be a kind an epidemic in our country to tell people they are doing well when they are obviously failing. I have small kids and understand the need to not discourage them at a young age and give them little trinkets just for trying up to a point, but we should be well beyond that at this level. Success is not looked upon favorably in our society any longer. It is, erroneously, looked upon as being greedy, filthy and taking something from someone else. A perfect example happened during the super bowl for anyone who caught it. The camera focused on Paul Allen (the owner of the Seahawks). The commentators talked about how he made his money at Microsoft and other ventures in a matter of fact way and then said "BUT, he is a philanthropist". As if he needed to cleanse the shame of being successful by being a philanthropist.

You would think people in a professional sports environment would appreciate success, if nowhere else, but it has even infiltrated that area. That is what gives me the biggest fear with regards to whether Hewitt stays after this year. Will BE and AC get rid of Hewitt and demonstrate that they are part of the segment that understands that our flagship sport needs to be truly successful, not just in the required areas like academics and discipline, but on the court, with wins? Or, will they keep Hewitt and show that they are of the Blue Ribbon awarding and orange slice distributing segment? I guess we may have to wait until the week of March 11th to find out...

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I enjoyed the close seating, and that Landmark Americana place makes great garlic parmesan chicken wings.

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
We had a good showing of fans at the game and the platoon and students were good and loud in the upper seats. They repped Mason well at the game.

I loved the whole experience. We sat 4 rows behind the team bench. Corey Edwards mom and brother sat beside and in front of us. They were very friendly and cheering for the entire team. Good peeps. Looked like there were some other parents of players there as well.

My high school gym is bigger than their arena but it was very cool to be that close to the game. They have a cool atmosphere. Also, their sodas and refreshments were all $2! How the Patdome charges so much for a soda or hot dog is absurd, they should be ashamed at how high their prices are. This is not a Caps or Redskins game for christ sake.

Their fans were extremely nice and welcoming. Not once did we get talked trash to. Their fans asked us about our team and Coach and often reminisced about our final 4 run a while back. Sigh. We educated them on our hate for Hewitt and how we want him gone and they said the same about their coach. A lot of their fans want Martelli gone but they don't think the school will fire him.

The refs were awful. 2 refs were definetely pro-St. Joes in that game. Their were some laughable calls against us or not called for us.

That Landmark Americana bar was awesome, right across from the stadium which had cheap beer and awesome wings.

Edwards saw first hand the embarrassment of another close lose. We should of won that game, St. Joes is not a good team but they had enough to pull out the W against us. Ugh

Last edited:
OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
Can't argue with anything Tweeder said in terms of the game itself, multiple travels were missed and fouls that were not existent were called. St. Joe's gave us every chance to get back in it and potentially win it by missing free throws.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think refs just dont like Hewitt.