Game 21: George Washington University, Sunday, January 31st, Noon, NBCSN

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Disagree that we didn't have an answer for Cavanaugh. Marko had him so frustrated and physically worn down. Aside from a lot of late free throws, he got nowhere near his average. Loved the gameplan on him.

Agree with what everyone else has said. Four freshman played really well (one not so much) which is a great sign. My question with 20/20 hindsight is whether folks agreed with bringing MM back at about the 3 minute mark or should we have stayed with the hot lineup and let Abrams in?

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There were several times where Otis began to drive and Marquis was behind him on the perimeter, but since Marquis is not a threat to shoot, the defense was able to collapse on Otis and there was no point in Otis kicking it back to Marquis.
Probably happened 3 or 4 times late in the game. GW knew they didn't have to defend it and their guys stayed disciplined. In the future, I'm confident we'll have someone to knock those open looks down.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Didn't get a chance to watch the game live, but I really liked the effort today. Like I expected, we didn't have much of an answer for Cavanaugh, Larsen and Garino; but Larsen and Garino are gone next year...

Thought Shevon moved A LOT better today (has his foot finally gotten better?) Marko just makes this offense run better even when he's not scoring, smart choice to get him back into the starting lineup. This team can run a pretty good fastbreak, hopefully they can start forcing more turnovers to take advantage of that.

The question is, can they carry this kind of a game forward (even though they lost) to Richmond? That will be the sign of real progress.
Larsen was absolutely atrocious offensively. Shevon and Jalen shut him down.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Disagree that we didn't have an answer for Cavanaugh. Marko had him so frustrated and physically worn down. Aside from a lot of late free throws, he got nowhere near his average. Loved the gameplan on him.

Agree with what everyone else has said. Four freshman played really well (one not so much) which is a great sign. My question with 20/20 hindsight is whether folks agreed with bringing MM back at about the 3 minute mark or should we have stayed with the hot lineup and let Abrams in?
Exactly, Marko did a heck of a job on the potential A-10 player of the year. If Cavanaugh didn't knock down all those end of game free throws he had a pretty average night. Marko played the most physical I have ever seen him play in 4 years.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Also I think Marquise (and others) did a pretty decent job on their sharpshooter Garino. He got his points and hit a few key 3 pointers, but I also feel he was frustrated like Larsen and Cavanough and couldn't really "get going". Marquise also gave up a few inches on Garino as well.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
What a difference a year (and a coach) makes. Last year we were talking about how GW beat us by 16 and dominated us on our court in front of apathetic fans. This year we played with one of the top teams in the A10 for 38 minutes and had the best non last second desperation shot (sorry Sherrod, Jalen) in the PC/EBA since the Larranaga years.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The behind-the-back pass from Otis to Abrams that led to the dunk was the loudest I've heard the Patriot Center in a long time (Disney on Ice notwithstanding). People, me included, were literally jumping out of their seats. It also got really loud when Grayer caught fire from behind the arc.

I'm not really into moral victories, but this loss felt different than the rest. It's refreshing to feel some passion and energy from a crowd that has desperately waited a a long time for something to cheer about. #keepcalmandputsomedaveon

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
The behind-the-back pass from Otis to Abrams that led to the dunk was the loudest I've heard the Patriot Center in a long time (Disney on Ice notwithstanding). People, me included, were literally jumping out of their seats. It also got really loud when Grayer caught fire from behind the arc.

I'm not really into moral victories, but this loss felt different than the rest. It's refreshing to feel some passion and energy from a crowd that has desperately waited a a long time for something to cheer about. #keepcalmandputsomedaveon

That play should have been on Sportscenter's top 10 and it wasn't.

Snowflake Slayer of Seals

Four-star Recruit
Want to thanks everyone for great hospitality!! Mason staff say GW game get most attendunce of year thanks to Snowflake Bear!!!

Cub scouts hit Snowflake pretty hard at game with snowballs...Snowflake probably have concussion. But Snowflake see wveryone soon again, maybe at New York tournament!!! Spike Lee good friend of Snowflake bear!!!

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Now only if we had Gus Johnson as our announcer for this game and moments. I would of creamed my pants at least 8 times

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5V8i7PBz0E

Or

Like this:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXRBXRu_uMc