Game 20: HOMECOMING. GMU (14-5 / 3-3) vs Rhode Island (9-10 / 3-3) on Saturday, January 27, at 4:00PM.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not to get too off topic, but I nominated John Linn and he is finally being inducted this year. This was my write-up, he was a hell of a man and I am saddened that I never got to meet him. Hell - he belongs in any athletic hall of fame that GMU ever creates. Now, back to your regularly scheduled game-talk.

"I'd like to nominate John Linn (deceased), former coach for the GMU club Trap and Skeet team. From the mid-1980s to the early-1990s, Coach Linn led the team to seven consecutive national championship titles between 1985 and 1992. Since his passing in 1992, the Trap and Skeet team has won an additional 4 national titles, making it (to my knowledge) the most successful program in GMU sports history. Trap and Skeet is the second oldest club sport at GMU, second only to rugby. Coach Linn also served as an advisor to the 1980 Venezuelan Olympic shotgun team and coached the U.S. Junior Olympic shotgun team. If one only considered his Trap and Skeet accomplishments, Coach Linn would be more than qualified to be inducted into the Recreation Hall of Fame.

However, Coach Linn also served as the head coach for men's basketball at GMU between 1971 and 1980, which at the time was only a part time position. For men's basketball, he was instrumental in guiding the program to join Division I in the 1978-1979 season. When he resigned that position in 1980, the following coach (Joe Harington) was the first full-time men's basketball coach employed by the University. In recognition of his many contributions to GMU recreation and athletics, the Linn Gymnasium was named in his honor and dedicated in April 1993.

In his 22 years as an employee of GMU, Coach Linn also served as cross country coach, assistant baseball coach, intramural director, and assistant athletic director.

I can't think of anyone who's name belongs in the GMU Recreation Hall of Fame more than Coach John Linn.
"
I agree wholeheartedly with your write-up. I had Coach Linn for a couple of classes as an undergrad, and let's just say, he was about as chill as they come.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not to get too off topic, but I nominated John Linn and he is finally being inducted this year. This was my write-up, he was a hell of a man and I am saddened that I never got to meet him. Hell - he belongs in any athletic hall of fame that GMU ever creates. Now, back to your regularly scheduled game-talk.

"I'd like to nominate John Linn (deceased), former coach for the GMU club Trap and Skeet team. From the mid-1980s to the early-1990s, Coach Linn led the team to seven consecutive national championship titles between 1985 and 1992. Since his passing in 1992, the Trap and Skeet team has won an additional 4 national titles, making it (to my knowledge) the most successful program in GMU sports history. Trap and Skeet is the second oldest club sport at GMU, second only to rugby. Coach Linn also served as an advisor to the 1980 Venezuelan Olympic shotgun team and coached the U.S. Junior Olympic shotgun team. If one only considered his Trap and Skeet accomplishments, Coach Linn would be more than qualified to be inducted into the Recreation Hall of Fame.

However, Coach Linn also served as the head coach for men's basketball at GMU between 1971 and 1980, which at the time was only a part time position. For men's basketball, he was instrumental in guiding the program to join Division I in the 1978-1979 season. When he resigned that position in 1980, the following coach (Joe Harington) was the first full-time men's basketball coach employed by the University. In recognition of his many contributions to GMU recreation and athletics, the Linn Gymnasium was named in his honor and dedicated in April 1993.

In his 22 years as an employee of GMU, Coach Linn also served as cross country coach, assistant baseball coach, intramural director, and assistant athletic director.

I can't think of anyone who's name belongs in the GMU Recreation Hall of Fame more than Coach John Linn.
"
Coach Linn was the men's bball coach when I was there. I had no idea about his other roles and accomplishments. Yes, HoF. A slam dunk!!
Very glad you nominated him!!

daveshac

Walk-On
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Mason Basketball family talks Homecoming

The Mason Basketball family talks Homecoming
I hadn't heard that claim before - that we're the only NCAAMB program with an AD and a Coach who'd played in the Final Four. Sorta useless, but also sorta cool.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I hadn't heard that claim before - that we're the only NCAAMB program with an AD and a Coach who'd played in the Final Four. Sorta useless, but also sorta cool.
Agree. Useless but cool. Well put.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Must win to keep pace. Think we matchup well, just hope we don’t come out flat in front of a packed house.

Looking at tickets available it is far from sold out, but looking like it’ll be our best attended game of the season (as expected),

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Basically thats the game that everyone is thinking is going on.

I personally would love to have Charleston join us in the league. Great city, great program.

I like having Umass in the conference. As much as I make jokes about their twitter folk thinking they are winning the national title every offseason, I feel like they are a lot like us Mason fans. Just seems like they have many more than us (even though their attendance is as bad).
Umass has the better name recognition.

Personally, I want a complete realignment of college basketball. The A10 isn’t what it used to be ever since the creation of the AAC.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yeah a it’s easier to identify “where’s UMASS? Oh Massachusetts”

“What’s George mason? George Madison?”

That has as much to do with our academic profile as it does with our sports profile. Everyone knows where Georgetown is, for instance, even people who aren’t into college basketball.

I will say I taught some volleyball players and they all knew George Mason immediately, so we have that niche market pinned down. I also never really had a problem explaining where Mason was to any of my students but I assumed they either knew of it already or were mistaking it for Georgetown or George Washington.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"PATRIOT POINTS
• The Patriots check in at 82nd in Friday's NET rankings. That's the highest Mason has been at this point of the season in program history. The team also is No. 99 in the KenPom rankings.

• Mason is 10-1 at home this season and has won 24 of its past 27 games played inside EagleBank Arena.

• The Patriots broke a 3-game skid on Jan. 20 with a 69-60 home win over St. Bonaventure. Mason held the Bonnies to just three field goals over the final 11:51 and a season-low 35.6 percent clip for the game.

• George Mason has yet to allow an opponent to shoot 50 percent from the floor over 19 games. That's the longest stretch for a Mason team to begin a season since 2011-12.

• Mason ranks fifth nationally in 2pt FG defense (.427), 11th in overall FG defense (.388) and 46th in scoring defense (65.7 ppg). The Patriots allow 1.021 points/possession (76th).

• Sophomore Keyshawn Hall tallied 13 points and eight rebounds in the win over the Bonnies, while graduate forward Amari Kelly added 13 points and seven rebounds. Kelly has now tallied 10+ points in eight straight games, while Hall ranks seventh in the A-10 in scoring (17.2 ppg) in league play.

• The Patriots are averaging 77.8 points and shooting 49.2 percent (.374 3pt FG) in wins, but just 59.4 points and 38.2 percent in losses (.282 3pt FG).

Freshman point guard Baraka Okojie is averaging 8.5 points, 3.0 steals, 3.0 assists and 27.0 minutes over the past two games. He ranks fifth in the A-10 in steals (1.8/game) in league play.

• Hall ranks fifth nationally in defensive rebounds/game (8.0), 24th in double-doubles (8) and 42nd in overall rebounding (9.2 rpg). He leads the A-10 in all three of those categories.

• In league games, George Mason leads the A-10 in free throw percentage (.789). Mason's 74.9 overall FT percentage ranks 56th in the country. In conference play, 22.1 percent of the team's points come from the free throw line (3rd in A-10).

• The Patriots are 6-1 in Saturday games this season and sport a 5-1 record in afternoon contests.

• Mason's offense proved highly efficient during its 11-2 non-conference slate, but the Patriots have struggled in A-10 play. The team is 12th in the league in effective field goal percentage in conference games and 13th in 3pt FG percentage (.302). Mason shot 37 percent from 3 in non-conference play.

• Senior Darius Maddox is averaging 36.7 minutes in league play (3rd in A-10), while Keyshawn Hall is at 34.7 (10th)."

TweederGMU

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Take care of business at home. Hope we don't come out flat since we haven't played in a hot sec. Kelly will have a big game. Let's see if Ball can ball out again.

Goodguys 72
How are you an island attached to land 59

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Game is about as I expected - started cold then heated up. Tailgated with PiKapp - under grad late and old farts. If anyone sees 6’7 old dude who is drunk and answers to Nathan - please send him to section 115 row N