Game 2: GMU (1-0) vs Penn (0-1) on Friday, November 12, at 7 PM.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Penn played at Florida St. and lost by 35 last night. Box score below.

Penn did not play any games last year because the Ivy League canceled the season due to Covid. So, we have to look back to the 19-20 for reference. Penn was 16-11 overall during the 19-20 campaign and finished 8-6 in conference play.

The Quakers are picked #4 in preseason Ivy League polls.

Andy Katz has reported, “The league race will be tight with as many as 6 of the 8 legitimately in contention for the league title, although Amaker said he could see all eight in the race. The chase for the four spots in the Ivy League playoff may be as intense as ever.”

Schedule: https://pennathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
Roster: https://pennathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster
Box Score vs Florida St.: https://pennathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2021-22/florida-state/boxscore/17832

6’3” sophomore Jordan Dingle (13.5 ppg & 3.4 reb) is the Quakers leading returning scorer. Max Martz is another returning starter who averaged 7.9 ppg to go with 3.2 rebounds. There are many unknowns on the roster. Players like Jonah Charles missed the entire 18-19 season due to injury and then missed last year due to the Ivy League cancelling play. Penn has five freshmen on the roster this year.

Team captains are Jelani Williams and Lucas Monroe. Monroe was one of just three freshmen to play in all 27 games in 2019-20. He averaged 3.4 points and 3.2 rebounds per game and also had 24 assists, 16 steals and 12 blocked shots. Williams has had an injury-plagued career suffering 3 ACL injuries.

During the 2019-2020 season Penn averaged 73.7 ppg while giving up 70.6 ppg. As a team they shot 45.6% from the field and 33.1% from 3. They held opponents to 42.0% shooting and 33.5% from 3. They averaged 14.8 assists per game during the 19-20 season while turning it over 12 times per game.

The game is on ESPN+.

My prediction: This should be a double digit win. GMU 77 - Penn 65.

Discuss.

Last edited:

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Impossible to predict how Penn will look in just the 2nd game for the year. I'm interested to see how they fare against Florida State and then I probably can say more.

Regardless, Ivy League teams shoot tons of threes and do a lot of screening and cutting. In the past, that has always given Mason fits although usually Mason has come out on top in a lot of the match ups against Penn. It would be cool if this was a home and home so that Mason could play in the Palestra again but I have to think the staff has their sights on higher quality match-ups.

If Mason plays as well as they did last night, they shouldn't have too much of a problem with Penn. Maybe its not a 22 point win, but it should be a comfortable 10 point win.

Mason 68
Penn 58

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Guessing Penn will fly direct from Tallahassee to DC instead of going to Philly late tonight, then heading to Fairfax tomorrow, right?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I just want to say it’s nice to be excited for gameday again instead of feeling a sense of dread and a feeling that I had to watch the games between my fingers as though I were watching a horror movie and anticipating the monster to jump out from the shadows and kill my team.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Penn should be a great opponent. They have two decent scorers and I remember Wang from our game a couple years ago (think he did well against us). I still think if everyone is healthy we are way better than Penn and should win by 10

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Penn should be a great opponent. They have two decent scorers and I remember Wang from our game a couple years ago (think he did well against us). I still think if everyone is healthy we are way better than Penn and should win by 10
They didn't look great at FSU last night. Don't know if it's them or if FSU is just that good. They also looked tired. Maybe not playing last season will come back to bite them.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They didn't look great at FSU last night. Don't know if it's them or if FSU is just that good. They also looked tired. Maybe not playing last season will come back to bite them.

Agreed. They struggled with FSU athleticism on offense and on the glass. I suspect they’d have similar trouble with Mason. Safe assumption I’d hope

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They looked great 1st half. FSU just thumped them with athletes and speed in the second half. We could should do the same