Game 2: GMU (0-1) vs Longwood (0-1) on Friday, November 11, at 7 PM.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Didn’t like the defense in the last 2:30 of the half. Longwood spaced us out and we weren’t staying well connected. They got too many easy looks and second chance points.
There about three real breakdowns but overall strong. Now we still need to work on free throws.

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Some good things to take away from the night. Some things that need to be improved upon. Personally, I am happiest with Ojiako. He is giving us more than I thought he would given the fact he's only been playing basketball for 5 years. Better offense than I had hoped for, a great defensive presence around the rim, and a good rebounder. Well done young man after having just two games under your belt in a Mason uniform! Was delighted to see Fernandez come out tonight as well. Nice win.

Last edited:

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Was there an issue between the coaches in the handshake line?
Yes. Best I could tell, Kim was apologizing to everyone in the handshake line and the other coach wasn't having it. He was pissed about multiple things. They had to be separated. I'm not much of a lip reader but am fairly certain Kim repeatedly said, "I told him not to take the shot."

Last edited:

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It was really fun being back in EBA and I thought the atmosphere was really good. Fans made noise and were engaged. Mix of band vs. singers was much improved.

Definitely some issues for the team to work out, and I have faith they will be. Good early season game against a good opponent.

Oduro had something like 20 and 10, which was fun to watch after a somewhat slow start offensively. He continues to be an excellent passer.

The old woman behind me seemed to have a crush on Josh and seemed to hate the rest of the team.

Longwood fans near me were VERY upset about late game calls and the "buzzer beater."

Nice to see Brensy and TSG. Tom and Brian, I saw you from a distance but wasn't able to catch up. Next time!

Being back in this environment after such a long break was amazing. Looking forward to the next time we're able to make the trip.

Last edited:
OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
It was really fun being back in EBA and I thought the atmosphere was really good. Mix of band vs. singers was much improved. Definitely some issues to work out, and I have faith they will be. Good early season game against a good opponent.

Being back in this environment after such a long break was amazing. Looking forward to the next time we're able to make the trip.
Agree 100% about the environment. Great for the first home game.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Was there an issue between the coaches in the handshake line?
If had to guess, it was because of our mop guy on the home basket side. He was utterly worthless. Several of the longwood players slipped and fell because he had not mopped. He didn’t mop at all for the first 10 minutes of the game. Then, people had to tell him to go out and he showed zero hustle. Walked around like a sloth. Refs even had to speak to him about it. He was an embarrassment to our ability to host a basketball game.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Some good things to take away from the night. Some things that need to be improved upon. Personally, I am happiest with Ojiako. He is giving us more than I thought he would given the fact he's only been playing basketball for 5 years. Better offense than I had hoped for, a great defensive presence around the rim, and a good rebounder. Well done young man after having just two games under your belt in a Mason uniform! Was delighted to see Fernandez come out tonight as well. Nice win.

Yes. Out rebounded by 2 and gave up over 50% from inside the arc, but much better overall.

Cooper and Ticket still not shooting the 3 well. Hopefully that gets going.

Need to stop playing so far off players, even if they are 30 feet from the basket.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
That was fun

It was great to see many of you around the arena as always.

Liked how we made lots of threes in half 1, but second half turned to a rockfight.
Rebounding needs work. Too many second chances (I’d have to look at stats).
There were a few minutes in the first half towards the end that we didn’t have great defensive effort. Someone mentioned Longwood spaced us out. Fortunately we adjusted.
Nice to see all guys for the most part get minutes. Very happy to see Justyn get some minutes and score some points tonight. Also liked what I saw out of Ojiako and Henry up front. Nice compliments to Oduro which will be needed. Both clean up well on the glass.
I liked seeing Cooper get to the rim instead of settle for threes.
Polite played another good game tonight I thought with Singleton supplementing him. I’ll have to check stats but I don’t think either were detrimental. Singleton did have a sloppy moment or two but they all did it seemed.

Very pleased tonight. Plenty to work on and improve but that’s to be expected.