Game 17, UMass, Jan 15th, 7 PM, MASN

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure, is there a offensive scheme where you don't need any players to dribble the ball up the court?

I'm talking about using guys who can't dribble, in a dribble drive scheme. Ie., the 4 out, 1 in your butt, offense Blewitt runs. If you don't have the PG you need, then use a scheme where the bigs get the touches first. Getting a kickout pass for a set shot seems to fit our personnel better than putting the dribble drive/dish load on BA and Wright who obviously have wilted, much like Pearson did at seasons end.

expendable smurf

Four-star Recruit
It seems to me that when you have a recurring problem with a particular facet of the game, you need to run regular drills until the players could properly execute in their sleep.
Well it's not a situation that's really replicable in practice. Practicing so that you can perform an action in your sleep is one thing, conditioning yourself to turn your brain off and let your body do what it knows how to do is entirely different.

Haxormax

Starter
19cq5zwdbe7xsjpg.jpg

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree. If you haven't watched Hewitt's post game press conference, I suggest everyone take a look. I think the reason why he was so down after the game was because he felt like he did have the players prepared to handle the press at the end of the game. I kind of agree with him because we handled the press so well against vcu. If we didn't look so good at breaking the press against vcu, I would probably feel differently, but that game showed me that they have put a lot of work into bringing the ball up against the pressure. He was upset because he thought the players froze and didn't get to the correct spots. Players have to perform in those situations; I put it more on them than Hewitt.

Having said that, it sure would have been nice to have a TO in your back pocket to settle everyone down and go over the plan again - and that is something Hewitt needs to improve on.

I watched this. What is up with Blewitt reffering to the outsiders his players listen too much to? I took that as an excuse for why they don't listen to me (Blewitt) type comment. Weird. He's clearly frustrated, but that's what happens when forcing square peg into round whole.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
As one of the resident defends of the coach, let me give my second guesses from the game.

First, I don't understand the refusal to play Jenkins and Marko together. They finally out of necessity played together near the end of the first half. First possession was a high/lo for a JJ dunk, second was a Marko screen and roll that got him a lay-up. It's not like we defend the paint well with Copes or J2 in there, why not let Marko and JJ work together?

Second, as others have said the timeout at 3:58 confused me a little. Yes, they just took the lead by 1, but we had a media coming and they were still in the zone.

Agreed that you need to trap and get the ball out of William's hands those last 3 possessions. Yes, it might result in an open 3 from someone else (whicp people would no doubt crticize), but a simple high screen should not result in easy layups/fouls for 3 straight possessions.

I guess it's what the practice but not sure why JJ takes it out baseline but then Sherrod gets it on the sideline. This was a big problem in the previous regime as well.

Honestly that's about it. We hung with and beat up a top 20 team, our guys were prepared, attacked the basket, rebounded well and gave it there all. They call a foul before Sherrod turns it over and today we're probably ranking last night amongst all time great Patriot Center wins...

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Or you don't force players that aren't good at a certain task to perform that task during crunch time. We all know that BA and SW are not point guards. I know you want your best guys out there at the end, but you also need to have a PG to handle the ball. Hewitt has been handcuffed because he was given these guys that can't dribble, but at the same time he hasn't gone out and landed one even though it's a position of need. I don't necessarily count Moore because we didn't really recruit him like a normal player, he fell into our lap after decommitting from Hofstra and we pounced.

The question is how is Moore at FT shooting? Are we swapping one weakness (handling against the press) for another (poor FT shooting)?

As much criticism as we are heaping on Sherrod and Allen for missed FTs. Sherrod missed 2 and Allen missed 1 the entire game.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
The question is how is Moore at FT shooting? Are we swapping one weakness (handling against the press) for another (poor FT shooting)?

As much criticism as we are heaping on Sherrod and Allen for missed FTs. Sherrod missed 2 and Allen missed 1 the entire game.

Moore shoots 71 percent, but obviously on limited opportunities.

Simple fact of the matter is that Moore is the best PG on our roster. Young or not, he proved he can handle heavy pressure against vcu.

Since our two most experienced guards both struggle to handle the ball, I see zero reason why Moore shouldn't be in there to handle the press.

Patriotfan49

Starter
LOL from a GT message board from this past November:

"I remember watching them in their CAA semifinal game last year. IIRC, Mason had a 6-point lead with 2:00 left….and never got another shot off. Had 4 turnovers and missed the front end of two 1-and-1's over their last 6 possessions. Typical."

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75137

Some funny lines in there....plus its almost eery right?

From GMUToms brother from another mother GTom :

"I'm just as frustrated with him as the next guy, but what's the point with all these Hewitt-bashing threads? We aren't going to fire him tomorrow or even next month so we just have to deal with it. I'll be much happier when he's gone, but until that day he's the head coach."

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40554

Man, I swear its like they were typing out our boards in the future:
http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50643

Last edited:

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Moore shoots 71 percent, but obviously on limited opportunities.

Simple fact of the matter is that Moore is the best PG on our roster. Young or not, he proved he can handle heavy pressure against vcu.

Since our two most experienced guards both struggle to handle the ball, I see zero reason why Moore shouldn't be in there to handle the press.

Agreed 100%. Other than possibly Coach Hewitt, is there anyone who would prefer having Sherrod handling the ball against the press rather than Marquise? BTW, does anyone know why Corey didn't play last night?

KAOriginal

All-American
LOL from a GT message board from this past November:

"I remember watching them in their CAA semifinal game last year. IIRC, Mason had a 6-point lead with 2:00 left….and never got another shot off. Had 4 turnovers and missed the front end of two 1-and-1's over their last 6 possessions. Typical."

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75137

Some funny lines in there....plus its almost eery right?

From GMUToms brother from another mother GTom :

"I'm just as frustrated with him as the next guy, but what's the point with all these Hewitt-bashing threads? We aren't going to fire him tomorrow or even next month so we just have to deal with it. I'll be much happier when he's gone, but until that day he's the head coach."

http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40554

Man, I swear its like they were typing out our boards in the future:
http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50643

Holy crap the third thread is like a cut paste of our boards...especially:

"Paul Hewitt has turned something I always loved to watch and look forward to into something I just laugh about, GT basketball is dead because of you."

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just talked to a guy in the office who is a huge college basketball fan and watches a lot of our games, but doesn't root for us. His take: There is clearly not an overall talent issue. Maybe a lack of certain skills, but the overall talent is there. Not enough mental toughness and way too many late game mistakes. Said he didn't know what % to place on the players/coach, but ultimately the coach has to be responsible.

Thought it was a well reasoned neutral analysis. He agrees with many on here that a well respected XOs assistant could do wonders.

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Agreed 100%. Other than possibly Coach Hewitt, is there anyone who would prefer having Sherrod handling the ball against the press rather than Marquise? BTW, does anyone know why Corey didn't play last night?
I didn't even notice he didn't play

Scythe

Starter
I have a new theory after rewatching the last 10 mins... Whenever the band plays "Livin' on a Prayer", we start to make lots of mistakes. Perhaps, that song triggers some kind of pavlovian response in our players that causes them to make bad choices.