Game 17, UMass, Jan 15th, 7 PM, MASN

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Just once, I'd like to see us make a defensive change that just leaves the opponent completely befuddled for 5-10 minutes.

Seems to happen to us every game. I'm just asking to be on the other end once.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Obviously the end of game management is the glaring reason we lost but the other is that we stopped getting the ball into Jalen's hands. He had 13 in the first half and got, what, 1 shot in the 2nd half...I thought I was seeing Will T on a couple of those up and unders and tough boards down low.

Seriously, how could JJ have disppeared so in the 2nd half. Ain't his fault, it's Hewitt's.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Just once, I'd like to see us make a defensive change that just leaves the opponent completely befuddled for 5-10 minutes.

Seems to happen to us every game. I'm just asking to be on the other end once.

Offense looked really good, but at no point could we seem to shut them down. Once UMASS clamped down on the D, that was it. We weren't out gunning them and couldn't slow them down.

Jenkins looks like he has superstar potential though.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
UMASS looked like a team better then the sum of its parts.

UMass has some pretty good parts, too. When you've got 6'8, 6'9 guys who can drive the lane like that and make tough shots, you're going to be pretty tough to beat.

It's also nice being able to have a 6'9 forward as the point man in a 1-2-2 and actually be able to stop the penetration into the teeth of the defense, or have a PG who can get to the rim at will.

I do hope that this dispels everyone's mythos that it's "talent" this team lacks to compete against the top of the A-10.

GMUheckler

Preferred Walk-On
I hope no one thought we had won or would win tonight because we have practiced this drill too many times. Oh well would have been nice one to win but means nothing in the short term.. Hopefully this matures our returners for the long term.

OP
Washingtonian

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
That pissed me off too.....we allowed them to just roll the ball up, and at a point Hewitt was sending our guys to wait for them at half court. That 5-10 seconds spet if we would have just maybe defended the inbounds could have helped out.

Hewitt found a way to play prevent D in basketball. Just like in the NFL, it whored us.

Didn't we learn anything from vcu last week? Do a Briante Weber and go after the ball!

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
UMass has some pretty good parts, too. When you've got 6'8, 6'9 guys who can drive the lane like that and make tough shots, you're going to be pretty tough to beat.

It's also nice being able to have a 6'9 forward as the point man in a 1-2-2 and actually be able to stop the penetration into the teeth of the defense, or have a PG who can get to the rim at will.

I do hope that this dispels everyone's mythos that it's "talent" this team lacks to compete against the top of the A-10.

They've got some great parts, but not enough to get them that #16 ranking.

Being down 5 with 41 seconds left required that talent on offense, but it was that well coached team defense that was the dagger. A guy like John Vaughn would've fit in well on that team.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
They've got some great parts, but not enough to get them that #16 ranking.

Being down 5 with 41 seconds left required that talent on offense, but it was that well coached team defense that was the dagger. A guy like John Vaughn would've fit in well on that team.

Well, it's a combination, that well-coached team defense does a lot less damage if they weren't as long and athletic as they were. Try putting Copes or J2 at the point of a 1-2-2, even a well-coached one, and see how that works out.

But, I think a lot of these breakdowns and close losses and blown leads become wins under a better coach, certainly, this one included.

Son-of-a-Gunston

Preferred Walk-On
These kids played their booties off tonight. The UMASS woman sitting behind me said, "We always win like this, I can't believe it!" I almost said, "We always lose games like this, I CAN believe it!"

Well, not always, I think I've seen Mason win these types of games six or seven times in 25 years of going to games. Usually, they end like tonight, we blow a couple of plays, and don't get a shot off. Remember NCAA Tourney vs. UMd in Boise? Remember NIT at Penn St.? Yeah, this one ranks as an UGH!!!

I certainly am stoked for the talent we have for the future.

I'm still not ready to throw Hewitt out with the bath water. Let's just get ready for the next game.

Last edited:

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think a lot of these breakdowns and close losses and blown leads become wins under a better coach, certainly, this one included.

And this is absolutely the bottom line.

As ol' Dubya once said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice ... uh, can't get fooled again."

I think we've all seen this ending too many times over the past 2.5 years to be surprised when it happens again. Just not enough margin for error when your coach is getting schooled by the likes of Martelli and Kellogg.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just saw a replay of the end of our game while watching Dayton vs. Fordham. Still can't believe it. I hate sports.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Oh no, why am I doing this...I am watching the replay of the game on MASN
Why?

Don't be too hard on yourself. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big of deal. G Mas is not a tourney team, a lot of minutes will free up next year with the departure of Allen, Wright, Williams, Okoloji and hopefully one more, at least. Hopefully, the arrival of Royal, the incoming freshman and continued development of Jenkins, Holloway and Moore will lead to meaningful games soon.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Don't be too hard on yourself. In the grand scheme of things it's not that big of deal. G Mas is not a tourney team, a lot of minutes will free up next year with the departure of Allen, Wright, Williams, Okoloji and hopefully one more, at least. Hopefully, the arrival of Royal, the incoming freshman and continued development of Jenkins, Holloway and Moore will lead to meaningful games soon.

There's only one transaction that will lead to Mason playing in meaningful games again, but I don't expect it to happen any time soon.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun