Game 16: St. Joe's, January 11, 8 PM, CBS Sports Network

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Talk about a night and day experience - read what the posters on here were typing about during/after the game and then read what the former players (Butler, Vaughan, Norwood) were tweeting during and after the game.

Seems like the former players put a lot more on the players than most of the posters here do.

gmu05

Starter
Talk about a night and day experience - read what the posters on here were typing about during/after the game and then read what the former players (Butler, Vaughan, Norwood) were tweeting during and after the game.

Seems like the former players put a lot more on the players than most of the posters here do.

Those players never played under a Paul Hewitt coached team. Aren't Larranaga and Hewitt basically night and day?

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if they are night and day, but they are different...

but missing open shots and not boxing out on rebounds are the same no matter who the coach is.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

I saw what they tweeted and I definitely agree that some of it is on the players. However, given the amount of returning talent and lack of improvement this group has, that is something I put on the coaching. Whether its lack of understanding, or lack of ability, I am not sure. I generally am concerned because this is what we saw at GT under Hewitt.

With that said, I'm excited to see what the new faces next year will bring, because I think their style, mentality, and success, will ultimately decide whether Hewitt is here.

gmu05

Starter
I don't know if they are night and day, but they are different...

but missing open shots and not boxing out on rebounds are the same no matter who the coach is.

Sure keep looking at things in a vacuum. This team's struggles are far beyond a few missed shots and guys not boxing out. Players will always hold other players and themselves accountable. Doesn't mean it's the whole story.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer

Interesting.

Do you have a couple examples? Or just links to their twitter pages (if public)? I'd be curious to see their point of view from someone whose played at that level and really cares about the direction of the program.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Sure keep looking at things in a vacuum. This team's struggles are far beyond a few missed shots and guys not boxing out. Players will always hold other players and themselves accountable. Doesn't mean it's the whole story.

Never said it was the whole story, but it is part of the story, which many don't want to admit. Too many want to blame Hewitt for eveything. I would put the blame on him at about 30/40%.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't follow any of the players on Twitter for Facebook, but I did hear that the three players Gunnie mentioned were fairly critical toward the way the players were playing. Normally you would expect players to defend fellow players, so it was surprisingly refreshing to hear they defended a coach they never played for instead.

Either way, I think we can all agree that it's nice to see former players still having a vested interest in the team. I'm sure it kills them even more than us that we are having a bad season. Maybe Jai can come to a practice and teach our big men how to post up and rebound.

Last edited:

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I don't follow any of the players on Twitter, but I did hear that the three players Gunnie mentioned were fairly critical toward the way the players were playing. Normally you would expect players to defend fellow players, so it was surprisingly refreshing to hear they defended a coach they never played for instead.

Either way, I think we can all agree that it's nice to see former players still having a vested interest in the team. I'm sure it kills them even more than us that we are having a bad season. Maybe Jai can come to a practice and teach our big men how to post up and rebound.

Did they defend the coach too? Not the same as criticizing the players execution.

KAOriginal

All-American
[Scythe: Corrected it to Pat Knight, since it wasn't Hewitt that said these things]

Anyone see this?

After losing to St. Josephs, Lamar Coach Pat Knight was not a happy camper. He expressed his frustration by pulling a kid away from the microphone and going on a rant. He called out his seniors en masse for academic, disciplinary and drug issues. He called out his seniors individually, breaking out the stat sheet and ripping their individual performances.

“We’ve got the worst group of seniors right now that I’ve ever been associated with. Their mentality is awful. Their attitude is awful. It’s been their MO for the last three years.”

“These guys gotta learn. They gotta grow up. They don’t need to be coddled. They don’t need to be babysat. That’s the problem with society. That’s why we have problems out there, because people don’t make kids accountable.”

“These kids are stealing money by being on scholarship with their approach to things.”

One would believe him, if this sentiment was not in sharp contrast to complimentary comments he made about the same players just three weeks ago.

“My style of ball, of course is the motion offense, but you’re going to defend, go for loose balls. You’re going to grind it. Sometimes it doesn’t look pretty, but I think that style is a lot harder to play against instead of just running up and down and jacking a bunch of shots. That’s what I’m most pleased about out of this team. This team in my three years as a head coach reflects the way I want my team to play.”
Must have been a rough three weeks. There’s nothing nobler than blaming college kids and no one better qualified to lecture on hard work and success than a man who was made millions off of failing......

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was at the game. Too many stupid mistakes doomed the team. They fold at key moments and have defensive lapses that are mind boggling. Oh, and if I ever see that flapping hawk again, it's hunting season!

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Did they defend the coach too? Not the same as criticizing the players execution.

I got a text Saturday from a friend who said he was getting "slammed" on Facebook by JV, Will Thomas and Jai Lewis for bashing Hewitt and not holding the players more accountable. That's all I know.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't say they defended Hewitt, but I know Lamar was saying every time they got into their set and ran the offense they had great looks at the basket. When they didn't, they struggled. He said the offense works, the players don't trust it.

I know Vaughan was pissed that he saw a player checking his cell phone on the bench against vcu with another senior "leader" then asking him what time it was. He said the older players would have never let something like that happen.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
KA, that's some juicy stuff. Since none of your links above work and none of those comments were part of the post-game press conference on gomason, can you clarify where and when it was said.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
KA, that's some juicy stuff. Since none of your links above work and none of those comments were part of the post-game press conference on gomason, can you clarify where and when it was said.

I think those are the things Pat Knight was saying at Lamar a few years back.

Scythe

Starter
Sorry to invoke the mod privledges, haha. Pat Knight said those things, not Hewitt. Edited your post KA to reflect. Sarcasm aside, someone will misinterpret that since they won't click the link and it'll spread over to gmuhoops, etc... ;)

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
WINNER.....

The funny thing is I almost asked you when our coach went all Pat Knight on our players and then Gunnie clarified it. Truth be told, some of our players probably could use a scolding like that. haha

KAOriginal

All-American
Sorry to invoke the mod privledges, haha. Pat Knight said those things, not Hewitt. Edited your post KA to reflect. Sarcasm aside, someone will misinterpret that since they won't click the link and it'll spread over to gmuhoops, etc... ;)

No problema....

KAOriginal

All-American
The funny thing is I almost asked you when our coach went all Pat Knight on our players and then Gunnie clarified it. Truth be told, some of our players probably could use a scolding like that. haha

And I will whole heartedly agree with that. Some need a serious A** kickin.

For instance, while BA can screw things up....the kid is playing his heart out. He gets a pass from me since no one else seems to want to sometimes.

Some others need some serious self reflection......