Game 16: St. Joe's, January 11, 8 PM, CBS Sports Network

Bricker

Starter
I've got a recipe for immediate, guaranteed success: Before every game, Hewitt should decide what his instincts are telling him to do against our upcoming opponent, and do the exact opposite.

Costanza coaching! So crazy it just might work...

Costanza.jpg

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How much longer can we tolerate Allen playing us out of games? I gave him credit for trying and showing heart against vcu despite shooting horribly, but this is two straight games now. Not only did he waste two timeouts, but he created a potential 6-point swing on yet another dumb turnover and then an intentional foul.

Sorry to be so negative, but I know KA said we're not allowed to talk about the good things.

We gave up 85 points and allowed them to shoot over 60 percent. That's what lost us the game not BAs mistakes. This was a team non effort.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
We gave up 85 points and allowed them to shoot over 60 percent. That's what lost us the game not BAs mistakes. This was a team non effort.

You're right that's it's not fair to put this all on his shoulders. We wouldn't have been in the game without his 20 points and 4 assists. I just wish he would play smarter sometimes and not try to force so much.

The score was 68-67 with 5:42 left before he made the crucial turnover and intentional foul. We never got closer than 1-point the rest of the way. It just seemed like the Okoloji technical all over again when everything just crumbled after that sequence. We just need to be mentally tougher collectively to overcome things like that, and yes I include our coaching staff in that group.

We're like a NASCAR team that does well for a good part of a race, and then the wheels come. It would be so refreshing to finish just one race.

Last edited:

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It would be nice to have a crew chief that can teach the guys to tighten the lug nuts...

It's funny that you say that, because I initially typed that same sentence and deleted it for fear of people thinking I actually like NASCAR. haha

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I love NASCAR and I am not ashamed to admit it. Don't have the time to watch it as much as I would like. Who knows maybe next year I will magically have some more time to watch something I love. Might have to change which portion of the year I allow myself a little free time to for things like that. ;-)

Allen is a complete momentum killer at least once a game and the scary part is he's the best of our seniors.

More people played solid games in this one than perhaps all season. Overall we didn't play bad. Our defense was as usual bad, but St. Joes did have the best offensive team I've seen in a while at Patriot Center. Very impressive starters even without their #2 scorer.

Still no moral victories.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Our defense was as usual bad, but St. Joes did have the best offensive team I've seen in a while at Patriot Center. Very impressive starters even without their #2 scorer.

As much as it killed us that they shot so well from 3, it was the inability of our big men to put a body on Kanacevic that made the difference. He played all 40 minutes and scored at will on us in the paint. Even when he caught the ball outside of the block, Copes, J2, Jenkins and Marko allowed him to back his way into the paint and score with ease.

I was wondering why he looked familiar to me, and then someone reminded me that he transferred from Hofstra. Unfortunately, he is not the best Hofstra transfer we are going to see this week.

Patriotfan49

Starter
As much as it killed us that they shot so well from 3, it was the inability of our big men to put a body on Kanacevic that made the difference. He played all 40 minutes and scored at will on us in the paint. Even when he caught the ball outside of the block, Copes, J2, Jenkins and Marko allowed him to back his way into the paint and score with ease.

I was wondering why he looked familiar to me, and then someone reminded me that he transferred from Hofstra. Unfortunately, he is not the best Hofstra transfer we are going to see this week.

He had a body on him all night. Just so happens that body got freaking worked all game.

I know its easy for fans to say oh I could do better etc....but I swear this team has absolutely no idea how to play basketball meanwhile I or anybody who has played basketball can predict what is coming next.

Kanacevic would have the ball and lean to one side to get out player to favor it, and predictably our guy would do the same and favor that side, then without shock to anybody but our players he would quickly roll to the other side for a easy, uncontested layup.

Also our bigs are just awful at fouling, no surprise to anybody. They try and attempt to block shots by putting their arms out horizontally and into the face/arms of the shooter....which clearly leads to tons of fouls. If they would just understand that you need to have your hands up in the air to combat a shot that is going up in the air, maybe that would help.

Absolutely. That guy abused us. At one point I said so out loud at conversation level and the whole bench heard me. It was funny.

Hes a very good player, but it was pathetic
How he went around not only our bigs allnight but through multiple players at the top of the key.

Anyone see TOC accosted at the half? He was ready to kill some clown. And believe it or not it was apparently over football.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
[quote "MasonFanatic, post: 7923, member: 26"]Part of our strategy should be to get Kanacevic in foul trouble, then just keep attacking the paint.[/quote]

So, this seemed like an obvious strategy. It did not look like we even tried this. Kanacevic ended up with only two fouls, playing for forty minutes, and going off for 23 points.

Anyone else think that copes had one of his better games in a while, especially on the offensive side? He went 3/3.

On another topic, if you extrapolate Grays minutes to what wrights minutes were you get the same number of points and four times the rebounds...

Last edited:

Patriotfan49

Starter
Copes didnt play too bad last night. Granted he was a sieve and all on defense, but offense he looked alright. I still cant understand the serious mpg J2 is getting.....pretty sure his negatives outweigh any minor positives that he could possibly bring.

Gray looked pretty good last night. Frankly, why he isnt in the rotation more is always going to be a mystery. Not like we have any other options that are better.

Now that Sherrods offensive game has gone to hell, he really is nothing more than a role player. His defense, is just on a Josh Wilson level. Even when hes on ball with his defender in front of him, he leaves a large bubble of space, and is a step slow back and forth and gives up tons of ground. Its like you can watch their guards toy with him because they know he is no object, so they just dribble back and forth until they see the play and then just abuse him.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How much longer can we tolerate Allen playing us out of games?
Its not his fault he is playing out of position because we have a freshman point guard who is still learning and junior point guard who is clearly overmatched in the CAA, let alone A10.

This may have been posted elsewhere but a few questions:

Why are we subbing Copes in on offense in the last minute when we need shooters. Again, no rule that we can't have all guards on the floor at once. Not a knock on Copes who played decent last night. Just in that situation, I don't think he should be on the floor.

Why, when subbing offense-defense, is Sherrod not being taken out on defense when he had 4 fouls? the game was stopped. we could have put Edwards in there to pick up a foul

Not a question, but a comment- it was so nice to see the student section causing chaos during St Joe's foul shots in the second half with the game on the line. oh wait, they were 90 feet away.......

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
His defense, is just on a Josh Wilson level.

I would be offended by the Josh Wilson analogy as a Redskin fan if it wasn't so damn true. I'll be very happy to never see him in a Washington uniform again.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Unless the clown said something like, "Maybe we should start football so you can make another bad hire," no one needs to bring up football to TOC. We have more pressing problems.

I wonder if TOC would choose Howard Schnellenberger or Gene Chizik as his big name pick.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Why, now that we are in the A10, would people even attempt a serious conversation about football. That makes no sense to me

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Its not his fault he is playing out of position because we have a freshman point guard who is still learning and junior point guard who is clearly overmatched in the CAA, let alone A10.

This may have been posted elsewhere but a few questions:

Why are we subbing Copes in on offense in the last minute when we need shooters. Again, no rule that we can't have all guards on the floor at once. Not a knock on Copes who played decent last night. Just in that situation, I don't think he should be on the floor.

Why, when subbing offense-defense, is Sherrod not being taken out on defense when he had 4 fouls? the game was stopped. we could have put Edwards in there to pick up a foul

B/C our Coach sucks donkey dingleberries.