Game 13: Penn, Jan 2nd, 7:30 PM, NBCSN

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I thought Marko hurt his back when Allen drove to the basket for an and-one. Marko came off the floor holding his back and never returned.

That still doesn't excuse when J2 was in the game. There is no reason we couldn't have used a 4 guard line up at the end when we they were going to foul.

I think you're right about Marko - he seemed to be in some pain.

Hewitt's substitution patterns are just impossible to understand. Based on HI, it seemed we were seeing a changing of the guard (bad pun) with Moore and Edwards...And then yesterday Edwards logs 18 mins vs Moore's 16. Gray and Anali (at least in the last couple games) have given some good minutes this season but now can't get ANY time.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think you're right about Marko - he seemed to be in some pain.

Yeah, Marko was really hurting, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him sit out against ODU. It's an OOC game, so there's no need to make it worse by rushing him back.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Couple of observations...

Our bench has no energy/cohesion at all. None. Aside from the one walk-on occasionally doing the mandated towel wave, no one else on that bench appears to even watch the game. Was Royals even there last night?

Our constant switching bothers me on the ball, but last night is the most I've seen us do it off the ball so much. You no longer have to bring a big to the high post to create a mismatch against us, just have a guard run baseline and we'll switch it to create a bad matchup somewhere. Awful.

Sherrod is the worst defensive guard I remember at Mason. From positioning to passion he is awful on that end.

How is Holloway on the bench the final 3 minutes? He's our best shooter, one of our best peremeter defenders and last night even rebounded it well. He has to be in the game during that period.

The last 5 minutes of the first half and first 15 of the second were fairly decent basketball. Just impossible for this club to put together a complete effort.

It's as apparent as ever to me that while we've complained for 3 years for a top-tier PG, the true missing element from this team that we've grown accustomed to the last 15 years is a legitimate post-presence that we can throw the ball to 15 times a game. If Holloway had Evans/Young/Lewis/Thomas or Pearson as a threat down low, he'd get so many more open looks from 3. As it is we have no one who fits that mold. That's a failure of OCM and Hewitt that since #24 left we have no one who commands a double team in the post.

Bricker

Starter
That's a failure of OCM and Hewitt that since #24 left we have no one who commands a double team in the post.

Screw double-teams-- we don't have anyone who can even score consistently down low. That's why losing Arledge was so devastating to this year's squad.

To the switching we were lucky even on the last shot...jenkins was on their guard.

Of course if you know they are going to take a three it makes perfect sense to haveJenkins and another big in there at all playing perimeter defense, because retarded.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It is almost laughable that they even put one man on those two. In the rare occasion that they catch the ball, they are likely to be blocked by the rim, send it off the backboard so hard it bounces to the top of the key or miss the rim and backboard all together.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To the switching we were lucky even on the last shot...jenkins was on their guard.

Of course if you know they are going to take a three it makes perfect sense to haveJenkins and another big in there at all playing perimeter defense, because retarded.

And the fact that Jenkins forced the player into an impossible shot that wasn't even close means nothing?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
And the fact that Jenkins forced the player into an impossible shot that wasn't even close means nothing?

I agree. Jenkins is probably one of the best defenders on the team so for him to be on the shooter in this situation was probably the right call IMO.

It should have never came down to that, but regardless.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023

I think it means that we beat a team even worse than us. Jenkins I agree should have been the one big in the game because of his ability to guard multiple positions. If Penn has Copes man set a high screen and create that matchup it's almost a certainty Copes bites on a pump fake and we give them three free throws to tie the game.

That's theoretical, but I think this is why so many are critical of our coaching. We should be putting guys in positions to succeed, not to fail. JW2 was 0-4 at the line, so most coaches with so little time left and us with the ball would put him on the bench. Not us, we actually inserted him into the game to be the safety valve against the press. I'm upset he missed those 2 free throws but I'm more upset he was put in that position in the first place. Yes, this is a spot we sorely miss Arledge.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Penn had two guys out, had not won a game in over a month and we barely could beat them AT HOME. Gmu bball is in a sad sad state. I miss the days we put our foot on somebodys throat and kept it on there the whole game..

Dawgs99

Starter
Sherrods performance begs the question, where is VG? Is he really that much worse than SW? Sherrod is quickly becoming my least favorite player not named Erik Copes. No intensity, no defense, no ball handling, and what looks like to me is a lack of want-to. Say what you will about the up and down career of BA, that kid leaves his heart on the floor every night....can't say that about really anyone else on our team right now (maybe Jenkins).

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
Sherrods performance begs the question, where is VG? Is he really that much worse than SW? Sherrod is quickly becoming my least favorite player not named Erik Copes. No intensity, no defense, no ball handling, and what looks like to me is a lack of want-to. Say what you will about the up and down career of BA, that kid leaves his heart on the floor every night....can't say that about really anyone else on our team right now (maybe Jenkins).

It's a good question. VG's played well enough this season to get SOME minutes.

Even though I get scared every time Anali touches the ball, I would've put him in the game in the middle of the first half. He should be our officially anointed hustle guy and when guys are half-assing it on defense, he plays.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Because Arledge was such a dominant "back to the basket" guy?

I missed that part of his career.

I'm pretty sure everyone on these boards is sick of your bashing of Arledge. Obviously, we'd be better with him on the team. None of our big men can consistently score and having his presence would add another dimension to our offense. Not saying we'd be undefeated with him, just saying his presence is missed.
Enough with your bullshit.

Patriotfan49

Starter

I frankly dont care if our bigs score from half court, but Arledge was at least competent in getting the ball up and over the rim instead of jamming it underneath it like J2 is. You are blind and or deaf if you dont think Arledge would be helping the team if he was here.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Arledge would certainly help this team, but to what end? This team is going nowhere even with JA, so give Jalen those minutes so he gains some experience.

Bricker

Starter

Whatever. The guy averaged double-digits last year. We had someone competent and somewhat consistent.

I'm amazed that I've somehow been elected the Jon Arledge Fanclub president because I've mentioned that he could actually score.