Game 12: AT #19 University of Oklahoma, Wednesday, December 31st, 5 PM (EST), MASN2

Herndon

All-Conference
Positives:

Shevon Thompson is a solid player on just aabout any frontcourt in the country. He'll be one of the better bigs in the A-10.

It's hard to look at Trey Porter and not see a young Mike Morrison, only instead of his coaching getting worse over his career, it'll probably get better.

Those two and Jenkins might be the best set of bigs in the A-10 next year.

liem.le.3388

Starter
I'm curious as to why Holloway can't shoot anymore and why Jenkins always insist on trying to dribble it in from the top of the key

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Positives:

Shevon Thompson is a solid player on just aabout any frontcourt in the country. He'll be one of the better bigs in the A-10.

It's hard to look at Trey Porter and not see a young Mike Morrison, only instead of his coaching getting worse over his career, it'll probably get better.

Those two and Jenkins might be the best set of bigs in the A-10 next year.

Fantasyland. I wish I shared your optimism.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How many shots does Patrick have to force before he gets pulled out of a game?

Saying that Jenkins is regressing is an understatement. Although, part of his regression is being put in a position where he is forced to dribble the ball from the top of the key. That's on the coach.

We just don't value the basketball. Careless passes and no attention to detail.

Was the line 18.5? Those guys in Vegas...........

Irish44j

Sixth Man
I understand Hewitt sucks, and his offense is not appropriate for our team (especially Jenkins).

But if we're 4-14 from three instead of 0-14 we're down five. Coach isn't shooting.

Watching the game, the majority of those attempts were heavily contested, off-balance, or out of rhythm - or heaved up with the shot-clock running out because this offensive (strategy?) doesn't create much actual offense if the other team is actually playing. Good three point shooting teams set a play to create an open three on the kickout. Long-range shooters shoot more accurately when they can set or shoot in rhythm, period.

Yeah, 0-14 is lousy shooting no matter how you look at it, but most of OU's threes were wide-open. Most of GMUs were not.

We can blame lousy shooting by the players for sure, but the offensive scheme is as much to blame for bad shots having to be taken.

KAOriginal

All-American
Watching the game, the majority of those attempts were heavily contested, off-balance, or out of rhythm - or heaved up with the shot-clock running out because this offensive (strategy?) doesn't create much actual offense if the other team is actually playing. Good three point shooting teams set a play to create an open three on the kickout. Long-range shooters shoot more accurately when they can set or shoot in rhythm, period.

Yeah, 0-14 is lousy shooting no matter how you look at it, but most of OU's threes were wide-open. Most of GMUs were not.

We can blame lousy shooting by the players for sure, but the offensive scheme is as much to blame for bad shots having to be taken.

Much like a football team wonders why their kicker is 1-5 for in a game, when all the attempts are 60+ yards...

psyclone

Hall of Famer
If I'm not mistaken, Marquis played very little in the second half. Not that he was playing well---seemed to spend most of the time dribbling. Much like Corey from past years. Not sure if that was on him or that there wasn't enough movement by the other players--clearly ball movement was a significant problem tonight.

So my question is----was he benched for bad play or was his injured ankle acting up? Or maybe the injured ankle contributed to his bad play. We need him to be playing well for us to be competitive.

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Just beat LaSalle on Saturday so I can get this bad taste out of my mouth. Wonder what Edwards wants to see from Hewitt and his team during conference play in order for him to keep his job? Hopefully it's not simply improving the A-10 conference record, the conference ain't as good this year.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Just beat LaSalle on Saturday so I can get this bad taste out of my mouth. Wonder what Edwards wants to see from Hewitt and his team during conference play in order for him to keep his job? Hopefully it's not simply improving the A-10 conference record, the conference ain't as good this year.

Now that the A10 season is about to begin, any speculation as to how the conference is shaping up? I haven't seen any A10 teams in the top 25 since vcu dropped out. And I read that the league hasn't done well vs the top 25.

GW did have an impressive win against Wichita State this past week. Davidson may be a bit of a dark horse--I don't think they were highly regarded as a conference newcomer, but they have done well rpi-wise and were competitive at UVA just a day or so ago. And I guess Dayton will be good.

I think that is a mostly fair assessment, although we definitely missed a few open ones as well.

I kind of expected a lousy shooting night due to Okie's length and athleticism, but I was hoping perimeter shooting (and Thompson) would nullify some of that.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
It doesn't bother me that we lost this game as much as it bothers me how we lost this game. Going 0-14 from behind the arc is embarrassing enough, but the uncontested layups and 3s we allowed is unacceptable. I can stomach being out-talented, but there is no excuse for being out-hustled and out-schemed.

Also, I wonder if the Gray/Holloway experiment has run its course. It's obvious that staring Vaughn and brining Patrick off the bench hasn't worked for either player, so maybe it's time to switch it back to see if they thrive more going back to their old roles.