Game 11: AT University of Pennsylvania, Saturday, December 10th, 2 PM, NO TV

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Kenpom: Currently Penn is a 3 pt favorite, Mason with a 38% chance of winning. The spread has moved around a bit---originally 4 before the Penn St game to 2 right after, then back to 4 this morning.

Rpiforecast: Penn a 5.7 pt favorite, Mason with a 32% chance of winning.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Mason's game notes - http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.c.../2016/12/8/MASON_mbb_notes_Penn_121016_1_.pdf:

"A LOOK AT THE QUAKERS (3-4, 0-0 IVY) The Quakers were picked fourth out of eight teams in the Ivy League preseason poll. Penn is 3-4 to open the season and sports a top-150 RPI on the strength of road wins at Robert Morris and Central Connecticut State and Big 5 losses to No. 1 Villanova and Temple. The Quakers lead the Ivy League in scoring defense (66.1 ppg) and are 36th in the nation in steals/ game (8.3). Penn is paced by freshman forward AJ Brodeur, who leads the Ivy League in field goal percentage (.554), ranks sixth in the conference in scoring (14.9 ppg) and is fifth in rebounding (6.6 rpg). Senior guard Matt Howard is averaging 12.9 points and 6.4 rebounds while shooting 54 percent from the floor."

Pablo

Hall of Famer
http://www.thedp.com/article/2016/12/penn-basketball-lafayette-recap-george-mason-preview:

"Next up on Saturday, the Red and Blue will play host to George Mason. The Colonials (7-3) are coming off a 85-66 takedown of Penn State in State College Wednesday night, their first win over a Big 10 team since 2009.

The 2006 Final Four Cinderellas are led by senior guard Marquise Moore, who is averaging team highs of 18.1 points and 10.3 rebounds per game, impressive given his 6’2” stature.

However, if the Quakers can replicate Wednesday’s balanced offensive output going forward and continue their dominant Brodeur-led defense, there’s no reason that encore performances cannot become the norm.

And as Howard finishes up his career come this spring, he can rest assured that another versatile player capable of taking over games will carry the torch."

The "Colonials" - I'm getting tired of this!

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
Kenpom: Currently Penn is a 3 pt favorite, Mason with a 38% chance of winning. The spread has moved around a bit---originally 4 before the Penn St game to 2 right after, then back to 4 this morning.

Rpiforecast: Penn a 5.7 pt favorite, Mason with a 32% chance of winning.

Would we want it any other way?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I wrote the writer of the article mentioning that George Washington University goes by Colonials and George Mason goes by the Patriots.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I will be there with my 7 year old. Not sure where I'm sitting yet, but probably in a section with Penn staff and fans. A good buddy (another Mason alum) is one of the team doctors for Penn athletics. Unfortunately, he's at a conference this weekend, but he still hooked me up. Looking forward to it.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The Quakers are 3-4 and we are on a six game winning streak and we have a 32% chance of winning?

WTF
Penn has mostly routine wins and pretty close losses (to good Miami and Temple teams.) Their only blowout loss was to Villanova. I would imagine RPI forecast sees this as a tossup talent wise and gives them the edge for homecourt.

As well as we have played the last three games, the first three of the win streak were downright ugly. W/L record this early in the season doesn't always tell the tale. I'd rather by underdog on Saturday because we're gonna be massive favorites in the two after.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Penn has mostly routine wins and pretty close losses (to good Miami and Temple teams.) Their only blowout loss was to Villanova. I would imagine RPI forecast sees this as a tossup talent wise and gives them the edge for homecourt.

As well as we have played the last three games, the first three of the win streak were downright ugly. W/L record this early in the season doesn't always tell the tale. I'd rather by underdog on Saturday because we're gonna be massive favorites in the two after.

That makes sense and I understand the logic - but it is grating to see this. I hope we bitch slap them hard and leave them panting, wet, and exhausted.

MasonCrew

Starter
No game will be a gimme for this team. While our run is impressive and we look better each game, we did lose to MSM and Towson at home. Just keep playing hard and we'll be fine. Kenpom also had us as 8pt dogs to PSU. No need to worry about that. Just keep playing how we've been playing and the score will take care of itself.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
That makes sense and I understand the logic - but it is grating to see this. I hope we bitch slap them hard and leave them panting, wet, and exhausted.
True, it would be nice to be favored. But I want them to feel like they have to earn the respect. It'll push them harder. I remember talking with Hancock at some point in February of '11 and he kept saying how he couldn't believe that week after week they hadn't cracked the top 25. They felt so aggrieved they just kept winning to rectify it.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
That the Daily Pennsylvanian, a paper whose website design would fit in comfortably in the late 90's, has mistaken the mascots of George Mason and George Washington just isn't that big enough a deal for me to get all worked up about.

I wish my life had fewer concerns that that would be one of them.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Penn Quakers ‏@pennathletics 15m15 minutes ago
Saturday is Military Appreciation Day at @PennBasketball! 2 Free
1f39f.png
to All With Military ID! http://bit.ly/PennMbbMiitary

CyyFguXWQAAjeuj.jpg

The tickets can be purchased online for $10 each if you enter the code "USA"

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Not going to pick against a team on a nice roll.

G Mas 70
Penn 69