Game 10: GMU (4-5) vs Navy (6-2) on Tuesday, December 7, at 7PM.

BBride

Sixth Man
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s obvious what Frazier adds to the team beyond points. He gives us another long, athletic guy like Ticket who is a bit of a junkyard dog with steals, rebounds and hustle plays. Not sure why he hasn’t played much but he needs to be out there more.

O3 went for the ball, then bounced it off #55. Hustle. Mason ball.

DSC_7027-X2.jpg

OP
Patriotsince81

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"I had this game circled on the schedule for a long time," head coach Kim English said. "It's been a challenging few weeks for us heading into a game against what I thought was the best team on our schedule. I loved the guys resolve and I'm really proud of them. They stuck together. I love their spirit. We had our best practice of the season yesterday and it showed today in a really good win for our group."

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m in the “play Frazier more” boat as well. I really liked what I saw out of him yesterday. Just a few hustle scrap plays and he just helps the team out. Hopefully if he was in the doghouse, last night took him out of it.

As much as Cooper helps the team, he’s been playing PG a little bit and I’m hoping they can reduce the minutes he has to play there. It’s not his strongest area and I’d rather him stay off the ball. He had a bad game last night but he needs to keep shooting.

Can’t say more about Oduro. The kid is an absolute beast and it’s a joy watching him play. His footwork around the basket is very impressive.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I like Frazier and hope we see him more, but I just wanted to point something out. I know people get excited when a bench player gets in and plays well for 10 minutes and we rush to come on here and say they should get more minutes (I'm guilty too):

So far this season our players have practiced roughly 9,600 minutes (20 hours per week is the NCAA max - started practice in mid October). You just saw 10 minutes of them playing. The staff has seen 9,600 minutes. Their critique is based off of a ton more than just the 10 minutes that we have seen. The cream will rise to the top eventually, but just remember they are basing their minutes off of a lot more than what we see.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I think Swartz is getting used to playing starter minutes.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a stud.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I like Frazier and hope we see him more, but I just wanted to point something out. I know people get excited when a bench player gets in and plays well for 10 minutes and we rush to come on here and say they should get more minutes (I'm guilty too):

So far this season our players have practiced roughly 9,600 minutes (20 hours per week is the NCAA max - started practice in mid October). You just saw 10 minutes of them playing. The staff has seen 9,600 minutes. Their critique is based off of a ton more than just the 10 minutes that we have seen. The cream will rise to the top eventually, but just remember they are basing their minutes off of a lot more than what we see.

Yes. English talked about this in the presser. Said none of the bench players were distinguishing themselves (he included Buchanon in there) in practice. This is why our bench rotations have been really inconsistent “let’s try him, let’s try him, etc.” And he told them “when are you going to beat the other players out?” Said after the game to Frazier “you play like that, you can play all the minutes you want.”

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
At the risk of drawing @sleeperpick’s ire, I think our best 5 on both ends is Cooper-Gaines-Frazier-Schwartz-Oduro and I want to see more of that group against Georgia.

This isn’t to suggest Frazier is the second coming of Jesus, Gandhi and Mother Teresa.

I just like what we can do with a bigger group defensively and having another scrapper out there. Not like we’re losing much by not playing with a true PG anyhow, given our limitations at that spot.
You're a buffoon, and an idiot suffering from bi-polar. Covered sleeperpick for you.
All in good fun, folks!!

:giggle:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You're a buffoon, and an idiot suffering from bi-polar. Covered sleeperpick for you.
All in good fun, folks!!

:giggle:
no that would be you folks (the dumb few) who think CKE can't coach anymore because he lost a couple games in a row with a weak roster. Frazier helping last night is good for every fan that wants to to turn this shit sandwich program around.

KAOriginal

All-American
Yes. English talked about this in the presser. Said none of the bench players were distinguishing themselves (he included Buchanon in there) in practice. This is why our bench rotations have been really inconsistent “let’s try him, let’s try him, etc.” And he told them “when are you going to beat the other players out?” Said after the game to Frazier “you play like that, you can play all the minutes you want.”

The age old answer to "how come we don't see _______ on the floor more."

No matter the coach, have to earn your playing time.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

Its a very good point. Frazier has shown glimpses and had a few games like last night but we don't really know how much more he can contribute. In my opinion, and I'm obviously not watching practice or a coach, is that I think he could bring more to the table at this juncture than Blake Jones who I feel needs some more time to develop.

I think the thing with Frazier is that he has the same build and look as a Gaines or Schwartz, a 6'6 guard who can play many areas. We can fall into the trap and assumption that just because he has that big guard/wing look, that he can contribute.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
no that would be you folks (the dumb few) who think CKE can't coach anymore because he lost a couple games in a row with a weak roster. Frazier helping last night is good for every fan that wants to to turn this shit sandwich program around.
You do know I was kidding and trying to reach out to you in a let's mend fences kind of way don't you? Thus the "kidding" line, AND Smiley face.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Oduro’s progress has been amazing. If he can improve his three point shot, is he an NBA prospect?

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oduro’s progress has been amazing. If he can improve his three point shot, is he an NBA prospect?
He is far too slow right now but if he keeps improving at the rate he has been athletically it will be interesting to see next season

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Oduro will get looks and might be a G League guy, but right now he's a scorer and not much else. He's a perfectly average rebounder, a little slow footed on defense, doesn't run the floor particularly well, not a great passer, etc etc. I love him to death but he has a lot of work to do to actually make a roster. NBA players are aliens. Now, if he starts hitting 3s at a 40% clip, then he gets *really* interesting despite all the stuff he doesn't do well.

Please note this critique is in regards to Josh as an NBA prospect. He's still easily all-A10.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Oduro will get looks and might be a G League guy, but right now he's a scorer and not much else. He's a perfectly average rebounder, a little slow footed on defense, doesn't run the floor particularly well, not a great passer, etc etc. I love him to death but he has a lot of work to do to actually make a roster. NBA players are aliens. Now, if he starts hitting 3s at a 40% clip, then he gets *really* interesting despite all the stuff he doesn't do well.

Please note this critique is in regards to Josh as an NBA prospect. He's still easily all-A10.
I was telling someone last night, I think Josh is easily the best offensive center in the conference by a long shot. He's going to right there in the 1st team all A-10 discussion this year.

When he learns how to pass out of double teams, and he will learn how to do this, we are going to absolutely torch some good teams on the offensive end.

MASONscott

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Good game.

The old Assist/Turnover ratio seems to be a clear indicator of Mason's success. With the exception of the win vs Penn and the loss vs SD St - that stat alone tells the game story.

Last night was a pleasing 14 assists to 8 turnovers. Navy didn't seem too aggressive vs say a JMU but they do sit in the top 1/3 in KenPom's TO%. Hopefully this is a sign of progress.

Petey Buckets

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I was telling someone last night, I think Josh is easily the best offensive center in the conference by a long shot. He's going to right there in the 1st team all A-10 discussion this year.

When he learns how to pass out of double teams, and he will learn how to do this, we are going to absolutely torch some good teams on the offensive end.
It's him or Golden, followed by Luka and Osun, and then man do the pickings get slim. Bigs who can score >>>>>