Friday or Monday?

How cool would it be if we extended the buyout till like 2020 and Edwards just had one of his old Skins buddies off him like he was Bernie Mac in Bad Santa?

PS Rip Bernie Mac.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Other schools had no problem firing their coach after tourney loss.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
Are our students on spring break? Maybe they want the players back at school before any announcement is made so that Edwards can address the team.

wijg

Starter
Caveat: Negotiations are a large part of my job, combined with killing time waiting for the f@cking announcement leads me to this...

I am intrigued as to what they could possibly be negotiating about. If they are negotiating now, that means they didn't strike a deal earlier in the year as was suggested, especially when discussing the longevity bonus. So, I think we can dispense with that theory.

Given that, there is nothing to negotiate. In order to negotiate, each side has to have something of value to the other. As soon as we passed the longevity bonus date, Mason lost any leverage it had to negotiate something with Hewitt. He holds all the cards at this point. Mason already owes him the ~660k salary. The whole tax thing as a suggestion for the delay is unlikely. While he might be interested in something on that front, it is not Ike it is changing things much for him since he already made 660k from Mason last year. Regardless of whether he wants that or not, there is nothing to negotiate. Again he has all the power. Mason owes it to him to pay it over the rest of the next year. Mason would probably like to spread it out, but he has all the power as Mason has nothing to offer him, unless they have completely lost their minds and are offering him more money but spreading it over a longer time. Since Mason has no power the negotiations would go something like this:
let's discuss the terms of your termination.
Pay me
Wed like to negotiate
Pay me
But....
Pay me

Since our "sources" seemed to think it was going to happen today but that was nixed, that would suggest it is not related to timing the news to be after the A10 tournament.

To me this all suggests there is some sort of internal issue that has cropped up. Hopefully it is just dotting the Ts and crossing the Is, but that would imply the decision hadn't been made until recently. If it had been, and it is taking this long, it makes me wonder about the preparedness and competence of the school and AD.

I hope some of the info above is wrong, otherwise it is not giving me a good feeling for the future, even with a new coach.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I totally get what you're saying wijg, but there are any number of perfectly innocent explanations for this delay ... not that it is really that much of a delay.

We just lost on Wednesday. It's only been 48 hours. I think we're all just so anxious to know that he's gone for good and learn the identity of the next coach that it feels like 7 years.

Irish44j

Sixth Man
I'd like the negotiations to go like this:

"Paul, we've decided to keep you on for your final season, since we have to pay you no matter what. However, the AD has realigned the job of Men's Basketball Head Coach to include new duties, which include washing the players' jock straps, getting all the bubblegum off the bottoms of Patriot Center Seats, shoveling all snow from PC parking lot next season, and emptying all dorm trashcans on campus. Luckily, we will offset this extra work by removing the necessessity for you to attend basketball practices or games, so you won't have to work any extra hours. We will be hiring a new person to coach the team, so that you can fulfill your new roles. This new person will not be called "Head Coach" (that's you, Paul), but will instead be given the title of "Athletic Janitor" as he will spend the next season cleaning up your mess.

Also, we will be publicly announcing this new arrangement along with your new duties. We look forward to you doing excellent work in these new tasks, and expect you to do $660,000 worth of applicable work next season."

Alternately, we are offering a $300,000 buyout if you decide you no longer want to be the "Head Basketball Coach"

wijg

Starter
People need to relax. The plan all along was that a decision would be announced next week after the A10 tourney.
That is part of my point. That is stupidity to do that. That would mean the "sources" were wrong (very possible), but, even worse that the the "thinking" in our AD/school is flawed. Do it now to get maximum publicity while there was some opportunity to garner some attention. Maybe a coach that was not on our radar and wasn't thinking of making a move sees it and sparks a thought...

As others have mentioned, other schools have done it the next morning. We are 48 hours after. It wreaks of Masonitis to me. Hopefully the old ways of doing things in the AD have not infected the new blood.

wijg

Starter
I totally get what you're saying wijg, but there are any number of perfectly innocent explanations for this delay ... not that it is really that much of a delay.

We just lost on Wednesday. It's only been 48 hours. I think we're all just so anxious to know that he's gone for good and learn the identity of the next coach that it feels like 7 years.
Not to be argumentative, but I'd like to hear three of those explanations that don't make our AD look as incompetent as it has appeared to me for a long time now.