Farewell to Ahmad Gilbert

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
At this point, it is absolutely imperative that our team kick the living shit out of its 2014-15 schedule.

Hewitt and his assistants have brought in some very promising young players. Now they have to do enough to convince Edwards/Cabrera to let them stick around and coach them up.

If they don't, and chaos ensues, I'm gonna choke someone out.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
At this point, it is absolutely imperative that our team kick the living shit out of its 2014-15 schedule.

Hewitt and his assistants have brought in some very promising young players. Now they have to do enough to convince Edwards/Cabrera to let them stick around and coach them up.

Perhaps, my optimism is rubbing off on some of you cantankerous Don Imus types ;)

19 regular season wins. That's what I see.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Raider, if we get to 19 wins what does that get us? NIT? NCAA? If we don't achieve either is 19 enough in your eyes to keep Hewitt? Just curious.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps, my optimism is rubbing off on some of you cantankerous Don Imus types ;)

19 regular season wins. That's what I see.

It's not optimism. It's just my way of saying, if we suck and our coaches get fired and our recruits transfer out, I'm gonna be really freaking pissed.

polepino

Starter
Cool. As aforementioned, it surely is interesting to see all these long athletic wings being recruited by Hewitt. He sure loves versatility from most of his players. Part of me wants to keep believing that Hewitt will get his stuff together eventually and his offense will just somehow click with the players one day and well be one of the most dangerous and versatile teams in the country. One that can spread the floor and have any player be dangerous and interchangeable. However it remains to be seen if Hewitt can get these kids on the same page and fired up. Its been mostly depressing thus far despite few bright spots such as jalen Jenkins.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Starting for your George Mason University Patriots.....
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
Crowd of 923 applauds politely, coming soon to the Patriot Center. ;)

Just having some fun, note the sarcasm.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Starting for your George Mason University Patriots.....
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
6'7" swingman TBA ;)
The Jolly Green Giant ;)
Crowd of 923 applauds politely, coming soon to the Patriot Center. ;)

Just having some fun, note the sarcasm.

I think that's a little closer to Hewitt's system.

patriot2000

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
So... do we want the Patriots to win this year and keep the coaches so we keep the commits? Or lose this year so he gets fired, but then we're in recruiting hell?

Only a half-serious question. I will always choose winning. But some of you may differ on this?

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
:monopolyguy:
So... do we want the Patriots to win this year and keep the coaches so we keep the commits? Or lose this year so he gets fired, but then we're in recruiting hell?

Only a half-serious question. I will always choose winning. But some of you may differ on this?

We lost the play in game last year. It's not like we can do worse.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
Raider, if we get to 19 wins what does that get us? NIT? NCAA? If we don't achieve either is 19 enough in your eyes to keep Hewitt? Just curious.

I have been on record here on more than one occasion that anything less than getting us to the NIT is not clearing the bar.

This will be his 4th year. If Paul Hewitt can't clear the bar in Year 4 than I'll leave that up to Brad Edwards as to who the Head Coach is for 2015-2016.

At least if we get back to the NIT and are competitive than Hewitt can point to that and say we're back on the right track for 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18.

I personally feel 19-11 and maybe a win in Brooklyn SHOULD be enough for a 7 or 8 seed in the NIT given the strength of our conference which should send 5-6 to the NCAAs.

Let me just make one point crystal clear: I am a GEORGE MASON fan PERIOD. I know I take a lot of heat on here for being an optimist despite our current situation but if Hewitt can't get us back to the NIT than I'm not going to weep about a hypothetical Hewitt departure. Brad Edwards seems like a very intelligent man who wants to WIN just like we do.

If Hewitt can't clear the bar (NIT or NCAA) in Year 4 than AD Edwards should find someone who CAN.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
If we make the NIT at all, we would be a lower seed than a 7 or an 8. Just like the NCAAs, the highest seeds go to autobids from tiny conferences.

GMURaider

Sixth Man
If we make the NIT at all, we would be a lower seed than a 7 or an 8. Just like the NCAAs, the highest seeds go to autobids from tiny conferences.

I guess I have a strong memory of 2009.

It's 1 vs 8 4 vs 5 2 vs 7 3 vs 6 - NBA playoff style seeding...

4 regions for a total of 32.

smccart5

Starter
Very excited to see this recruit coming in! Looks like an awesome pickup, considering the fast rising stock and the other interested schools. We don't often get 4's, so this is cool.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I'm playing the long game, Jim. Thus, why I hope Ahmad's enthusiasm is truly for the school and not 2 or 3 individuals currently employed by the school.