Facilities and Arena discussion

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Also, those luxury boxes were added to UT's arena during a substantial remodel which included changing the orange seats to black. The remodel cost $20M in 2007, but it included more than just adding boxes and new seating. For the Patriot Center, $20M to get luxury boxes, new seating and updated concourse would be worth it. I am guessing it would be more now.
The concourse was updated in like 2007-2008 (it was planned for before the final four if I remember correctly). I'm not sure if you have been back in recent years, but I dont' think its bad. Theres plenty of room, and just the general flow of foot traffic is pretty good. Food selection has improved too.

The whole luxury boxes/new seating bit would be ideal but then it comes back to the "how long can we close down the building" excuse.

Hopefully at some point in our lives they just build a new arena. I mean I think everyone can agree that we need a legit hospitality space other than a marked off space on the East side of the arena.

Last edited:

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
There's no sense in renovating. Construction costs are way too much, it would be a wildly inefficient use of money. The only real question is do we leave EBA standing for other events. We need a 7,500 seat arena for basketball.

bravesfan

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
The park near my house did a cricket field that brought a lot of exposure. It worked so well that they're expanding it into a MLC stadium.

I think Mason has the right demographics to have the same success.

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Please pardon my ignorance.
Can someone explain why EBA is an inferior arena?

I understand there are no luxury boxes.
That is a design flaw that is very difficult to fix at this point.

The only bad thing i see is the lack of digital signage
and the side video displays are to small and dont include video,
These could be fixed in the next upgrade

Concessions - both quality, selection, and pricing could be fixed or at least made better without modifying the physical facility
From a recruiting standpoint it’s a perfectly fine arena. It’s big with video scoreboard. From a fan perspective it’s lackluster.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Baseball first - Cricket if and when the Brits successfully re-invade. Otherwise - make a world class baseball facility to baseball regs and specs and then we can think if the cricket games can be scheduled.

FFS - cricket. This country is going to the dogs.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Baseball first - Cricket if and when the Brits successfully re-invade. Otherwise - make a world class baseball facility to baseball regs and specs and then we can think if the cricket games can be scheduled.

I think you are missing the fact this only happens if the potential investor gets a Cricket stadium.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I think you are missing the fact this only happens if the potential investor gets a Cricket stadium.

Then my statement is correct - everything is going down the toilet. Change Cricket regs to match baseball.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Does anyone else remember the Indian and Pakistani students playing cricket in the parking lots on nights/weekends? I always figured why not give 'em a place to go. Cricket will never catch on in the U.S. but there's enough former British conolized populations in the DC area that it could be a draw.

Hell I barely understand cricket but I'd watch a match. Let's get all the weird sports going. Bowls. Hurling. That Italian game where they beat the crap out of each other. Host it all at Mason.

Sons of Mason

Preferred Walk-On
This may be a stretch but we want a new arena, Georgetown is in desperate need of their own facility (among other things). Could we work out a deal where they use EBA until they develop or build a new arena, instead of playing at capital one arena? Scheduling may be tough but this could be more money in Mason's pocket for a new facility. Are we not both under monumental sports? They can't be happy with Georgetown's attendance. Thoughts?

OP
S

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This may be a stretch but we want a new arena, Georgetown is in desperate need of their own facility (among other things). Could we work out a deal where they use EBA until they develop or build a new arena, instead of playing at capital one arena? Scheduling may be tough but this could be more money in Mason's pocket for a new facility. Are we not both under monumental sports? They can't be happy with Georgetown's attendance. Thoughts?
Gtown has about 6 better options than playing at EBA

OP
S

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yes but entertainment and sports arena being their best alternative, is limited to about 4200 seats. They should at least hit 5k in big east play. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I’m not sure they even filled the women’s arena last year. That program is worse off than us right now

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Depending on what you go with regarding the infield (dirt vs. all turf aside from around the bases), you can essentially just build a baseball field. The stands would likely be a little far away from the field on the first/third base sides, but other than that you aren't really compromising anything. Normally I'm not for designing dual-purpose facilities because they end up being very meh for both sports (whaddup, Mason Stadium?) but in this case it could actually be good. Lord knows with our baseball fundraising abilities we won't be able to fully redo the baseball stadium for the better part of two decades without outside funding.

I used to live next to Lord's Cricket Ground in London (basically the Fenway Park of Cricket) and it's a cool sport to get hammered and watch. I understand more cricket than most people and even so most of it totally vexes me.