Facilities and Arena discussion

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Where is this plan for Is athletic facilities?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
You mean ... kinda like those things one might learn in business school. Hmm ... if only there were a business school nearby to assist with these types of activities... Hmmm ... I'm drawing a blank.

They don’t need a business school person to do this, they’ve been executing on a very similar academic vision over the last 35 years. It’s just a matter of priorities. Merten had a specific and ambitious plan for Mason academics and thought diverting donor attention to athletics would hurt that so he told TOC no targeted fundraising.

At this point, it seems like Mason’s student and academic infrastructure is at a good place. I’d like to see Washington actually pump the breaks on growing enrollment (straining the capacity of the university to its breaking point is not a good long-term strategy) and focus on quality improvements, which would include our athletics facilities.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Where is this plan for Is athletic facilities?

Phase II plans have been posted a bunch of times. Needless to say it was meant to be a RAC expansion of approximately 11,000 sqft. And cost approximately $15 million.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’ve been assured Mason has the $15M for Phase II, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re waiting to announce that because they’re getting ready to raise tuition/fees for the next academic year and are concerned about the optics — particularly with the cost of higher education already at ridiculous levels.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I’ve been assured Mason has the $15M for Phase II, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re waiting to announce that because they’re getting ready to raise tuition/fees for the next academic year and are concerned about the optics — particularly with the cost of higher education already at ridiculous levels.
Assuming the funds have been in place for awhile, maybe the school was waiting to get the new AD onboard and have that be one of the first major projects he announces and owns.

Maybe we’ll get a formal update in July/August.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Maybe they doubled the funds with wise investing.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
If we complete the second half of the practice facility as it is planned we will be fine and competitive. I looked at campuses at Providence and other Big East schools and they aren't that great. Mason has a lot more to offer.

After the basketball practice facility phase II - we need to move on redoing baseball field ( in a bog way) and the soccer field, and that whole area. That should not be too costly -- we do that we will be walking in tall cotton.

hoops10

Sixth Man
Not sure what the new arenas mentioned look like, but living in Richmond I would say the Richmond Spiders basketball stadium (7500) is one cool place to see a game. You are right on top of all the action. Not a bad seat in the house.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Not sure what the new arenas mentioned look like, but living in Richmond I would say the Richmond Spiders basketball stadium (7500) is one cool place to see a game. You are right on top of all the action. Not a bad seat in the house.
They had a major renovation in the last 10 years or so. Completely different animal to my understanding as it may have been paid with private money and they also don't need their building year round.

I also believe that was one of the arenas that Brad toured when he was trying to come up with plans for a major renovation for EBA.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
If we complete the second half of the practice facility as it is planned we will be fine and competitive. I looked at campuses at Providence and other Big East schools and they aren't that great. Mason has a lot more to offer.

After the basketball practice facility phase II - we need to move on redoing baseball field ( in a bog way) and the soccer field, and that whole area. That should not be too costly -- we do that we will be walking in tall cotton.
100% agree. The basketball facility seems like low hanging fruit at this point (knowing funding is in place) given how much needs to get done in that area…those facilities are embarrassing for a D1 school.

I know Mason has included several different variations of an “athletic village” of sorts in the area surrounding the Field House in recent Master Plan documents, which would include renovations and building of new athletic facilities for baseball, soccer, T&F.

The question just becomes how long it takes them to actually execute, because none of this is a new or recent need (and they’ve been deliberating on it for years). Which goes back to your earlier point of not having a strategic plan in place for athletics, or at least one they care to move forward/show urgency on.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
They had a major renovation in the last 10 years or so. Completely different animal to my understanding as it may have been paid with private money and they also don't need their building year round.

I also believe that was one of the arenas that Brad toured when he was trying to come up with plans for a major renovation for EBA.
Richmond's arena was based on the same fundamental design of EBA. We could have similar upgrades to them.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

My dad used to refer to something else people could do in high cotton.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

Yeah those two are embarrassing to look at. Mason's location/international student population should make it a prime school for soccer, but we put them on a shitty field surrounded by a track and high school bleachers.

Baseball is also tough to look at, although we (seemingly) have a plan to partner with some cricket org to redo the field. Probably ends up being a crappy turf field with dirt only around the bases though if we go that route.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Yeah those two are embarrassing to look at. Mason's location/international student population should make it a prime school for soccer, but we put them on a shitty field surrounded by a track and high school bleachers.

Baseball is also tough to look at, although we (seemingly) have a plan to partner with some cricket org to redo the field. Probably ends up being a crappy turf field with dirt only around the bases though if we go that route.

Maybe we should have the alumni association start a legal marijuana bakery to raise money.

MasonFanatic

Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I know that one of Brad Edwards' facilities priorities was the field house, which is ancient. They need to figure out if that is getting massively renovated or entirely replaced before they go making it the centerpiece of an athletics village. Maybe you move the field house farther out, and then in 5-10 years you can put a new arena where the current field house is.