Facilities and Arena discussion

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Perhaps you should have noticed that article was written almost three years ago.

In related news, have you heard about our practice facility that has been in the planning for for almost 2 decades? They just started fundraising for that this year...
So what you're saying is, things move lightning quick at Mason especially when it comes to athletics? ;)

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
So what you're saying is, things move lightning quick at Mason especially when it comes to athletics? ;)
AD's office has suffered from being too reactive in the past decade. They really just need to select a preferred alternative from the Master Plan they wrapped up like two years ago and start in on it, even if it takes a decade. I think moving everything to West Campus makes the most sense, even if I'd prefer to have wherever basketball ends up playing on the main part. Feel like the cricket thing coming along nuked the plan they had for athletics tho.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
AD's office has suffered from being too reactive in the past decade. They really just need to select a preferred alternative from the Master Plan they wrapped up like two years ago and start in on it, even if it takes a decade. I think moving everything to West Campus makes the most sense, even if I'd prefer to have wherever basketball ends up playing on the main part. Feel like the cricket thing coming along nuked the plan they had for athletics tho.

I don’t have a problem if they want to move the arena across 123 to be over where the soccer field is (I will not call that a stadium). I don’t think that would affect attendance at all (there the tunnel under the road, they could also put two pedestrian bridges at those two instersections to get over it as well. EBA’s location is pretty great, but if they want to concentrate athletics facilities on the west side of campus and leave the central part of campus for academics I’m ok with that (although I suppose they’d leave the aquatic center where it is).

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I don’t have a problem if they want to move the arena across 123 to be over where the soccer field is (I will not call that a stadium). I don’t think that would affect attendance at all (there the tunnel under the road, they could also put two pedestrian bridges at those two instersections to get over it as well. EBA’s location is pretty great, but if they want to concentrate athletics facilities on the west side of campus and leave the central part of campus for academics I’m ok with that (although I suppose they’d leave the aquatic center where it is).
What was wrong with the old soccer field next to the old gym? I had some great rec league full back moments there back in circa 1968-71.
Youngsters, these days....

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
What was wrong with the old soccer field next to the old gym? I had some great rec league full back moments there back in circa 1968-71.
Youngsters, these days....

I mean, our field used to be so good that whenever the men’s national team played at RFK they trained on our field.

The problem with the current “stadium” is it’s surrounded by a track (action is WAY too far away) and it’s basically a set of high school bleachers. I’m not looking for Wimbledon or Old Trattford here, but it’s crappy and has been neglected for at least 25 years.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I mean, our field used to be so good that whenever the men’s national team played at RFK they trained on our field.

The problem with the current “stadium” is it’s surrounded by a track (action is WAY too far away) and it’s basically a set of high school bleachers. I’m not looking for Wimbledon or Old Trattford here, but it’s crappy and has been neglected for at least 25 years.
Yea definitely agree with this. The actual field surface is great and pro teams still use it for training when they're in the area. The soccer teams should have a real D1 caliber stadium with support facilities to match (same with baseball). Are they currently stuffed into a room in the Field House? No clue.

Remember this awesome rendering of the proposed Patriot Park? Just another study that went nowhere.

George-Mason-Patriot-Park-Stadium-1024x626.jpg

Enough of the kicking the can down the road, they really need to start making tangible action plans for most of the bigger athletics projects...hopefully this current administration is the one to do it.

gmubrian

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Bit of a chicken and egg conundrum, no? No suites and a piss poor Gold Room probably limit revenue. How much is known only but to Allah and a spreadsheet somewhere on Lewis's computer.
I agree on suites. That is an opportunity, but, is it enough to pay for a $30M-$50M upgrade (using Robbins numbers and adding in inflation). I doubt the gold room situation is costing us much at all, at least at current attendance.
I do think the Potomac Yard deal could throw a real spanner in the thinking of what to do with EBA. I bet a lot of acts who would put 8,000 in EBA would gladly just charge an extra couple bucks to make up the difference and play a brand new 6,000 seater nearer the city and next to the airport.
Bingo. This severely limits the revenue of a refurbished or rebuilt EBA. It also reduces what could generated by doing suites.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against a nicer arena. EBA is my home away from home for the winter months. I'd love it to be the the Taj Mahal of arenas. I am just being realistic. We have an arena that is reasonably good shape with no major issues and the financial situation doesn't really scream there is an opportunity for a "build it and they will come" type situation. We built it roughly 40 years ago, and they really haven't come. What makes us think they would if we did it all over again?

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
I agree on suites. That is an opportunity, but, is it enough to pay for a $30M-$50M upgrade (using Robbins numbers and adding in inflation). I doubt the gold room situation is costing us much at all, at least at current attendance.

Bingo. This severely limits the revenue of a refurbished or rebuilt EBA. It also reduces what could generated by doing suites.
100% it's going to impact revenue from an event booking standpoint, but I don't think it would have a huge impact on sponsorship revenues...there's enough room in the sandbox and a different subset of sponsors/brands for college vs. what an NBA or NHL team would be working with (at least at our level).

Premium hospitality and club/suite spaces is a golden opportunity for companies to overpay for slapping their logos on a shiny new object. I'm looking forward to seeing if the sponsorship arm of our AD can get current sponsor OrthoVirginia to increase their commitment (it should be a layup) by having the entitlement to the player wellness/fitness area within the new practice facility down the road.

But yea, none of this matters in the present. Gotta fix the product on the court first.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
From what I can tell the Potomac Yard deal doesn't have legs just yet...flexing by Leonsis to squeeze the $600 mil he wants out of the District to improve CapOne. Youngkin took it and ran with it because it made for a great photo op, but I wouldn't bet on it happening just yet. Last I read DC offered Leonsis $500 mil after the Potomac Yard deal was announced.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
EBA is okay. It's better than some in the A10 and worse than some. Much like our team, we're average in all respects. Tony, please get this turned around.

The more I think about it the Gold Room is pretty sad. It's overcrowded. There are kids running around. Little to no seating. Poor selection of beers, although I have worked out a deal with my man Raymond to provide me with the nourishment I require. Nothing says have a great time like waiting in line for average to below average food, stand while eating off a paper plate, watch vendors run out of food (like the last game), have staff disappear because beer ran out (like the last game), all for $600 per seat. Nothing says value like Mason. Why do I still go? I'm a die hard fan who enjoys the company of good friends and casual acquaintances I've met over the years. For me, that's the bottom line.

I've been to the Green Room numerous times as well. Not much better IMO. Glory Days food? Yeah, the whole experience could/should be better. Will it happen in my lifetime? Nope.

In the meantime, as always, I'll make the best out of a mediocre/decent fan experience. I go to games to watch basketball and support the team I love more than any other. What would cure it all? Win a damn A10 championship and dance again!

Last edited:

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
EBA is okay. It's better than some in the A10 and worse than some. Much like our team, we're average in all respects. Tony, please get this turned around.

The more I think about it the Gold Room is pretty sad. It's overcrowded. There are kids running around. Little to no seating. Poor selection of beers, although I have worked out a deal with my man Raymond to provide me with the nourishment I require. Nothing says have a great time like waiting in line for average to below average food, stand while eating off a paper plate, watch vendors run out of food (like the last game), have staff disappear because beer ran out (like the last game), all for $600 per seat. Nothing says value like Mason. Why do I still go? I'm a die hard fan who enjoys the company of good friends and casual acquaintances I've met over the years. For me, that's the bottom line.

I've been to the Green Room numerous times as well. Not much better IMO. Glory Days food? Yeah, the whole experience could/should be better. Will it happen in my lifetime? Nope.

In the meantime, as always, I'll make the best out of a mediocre/decent fan experience. I go to games to watch basketball and support the team I love more than any other. What would cure it all? Win a damn A10 championship and dance again!
FWIW, I have been to both the Green Room and GW's equivalent (Buff Room, probably) a few times for various reasons. They're both on about the same quality level as far as food/drinks (all basically C+ buffet style fare), but GW's having a view out to the court is spectacular. You could watch the whole game in there, whereas the Green Room feels like a bunker. (I did feel safer from the threat of nuclear attack in the Green Room.)

The Gold Room never felt worth it to me...I'm not paying that kinda scratch to stand in a temporary area. Instead I would always post up at a nearby bar and get dinner...with happy hour prices it always worked out to about the same amount of money, especially considering Fats used to (maybe they still do) have $2 beers before 7pm.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
FWIW, I have been to both the Green Room and GW's equivalent (Buff Room, probably) a few times for various reasons. They're both on about the same quality level as far as food/drinks (all basically C+ buffet style fare), but GW's having a view out to the court is spectacular. You could watch the whole game in there, whereas the Green Room feels like a bunker. (I did feel safer from the threat of nuclear attack in the Green Room.)

The Gold Room never felt worth it to me...I'm not paying that kinda scratch to stand in a temporary area. Instead I would always post up at a nearby bar and get dinner...with happy hour prices it always worked out to about the same amount of money, especially considering Fats used to (maybe they still do) have $2 beers before 7pm.

I'm happy to count our blessings in the Gold (and Green) Room. I go to some of the ODU games and go to and through the Big Blue Room, ODU's equivalent probably to the Green Room. Why through you ask? While they do have a separate and direct entrance for Big Blue Room pass holders (a nice perk, btw), there is no complementary food or drink available. You have to pay standard consession rates, even for water. Now that's ridiculous. They get nothing but space and an entrance for their nickels. I'll take a crowded room and 'free' food and beer anytime.

MasonSAE4

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yea definitely agree with this. The actual field surface is great and pro teams still use it for training when they're in the area. The soccer teams should have a real D1 caliber stadium with support facilities to match (same with baseball). Are they currently stuffed into a room in the Field House? No clue.

Remember this awesome rendering of the proposed Patriot Park? Just another study that went nowhere.

George-Mason-Patriot-Park-Stadium-1024x626.jpg

Enough of the kicking the can down the road, they really need to start making tangible action plans for most of the bigger athletics projects...hopefully this current administration is the one to do it.
I often think of this and what could’ve been. US Open Cup games at Mason…

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I often think of this and what could’ve been. US Open Cup games at Mason…

This Open Cup is the first one Loudoun United is allowed to compete in being an independent club now.

There’s a professional rugby team that uses Segra Field right now (OK they switched to the MD Soccerplex for next year), but I bet if Mason upgraded their stadium but kept a natural surface and had at least 3,000-4,000 capacity they could lure them over to Fairfax.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
A rendering of the proposed new arena for Alabama basketball. Similar design to Baylor, but larger.

- Estimated cost of $183M
- Reducing capacity from 15k in current arena to 10k in new arena

Competition_Arena_2.jpg

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
A rendering of the proposed new arena for Alabama basketball. Similar design to Baylor, but larger.

- Estimated cost of $183M
- Reducing capacity from 15k in current arena to 10k in new arena

Competition_Arena_2.jpg

i wonder
if you reduce capacity by 1/3, how much over 1/3 does the average ticket price increase?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
i wonder
if you reduce capacity by 1/3, how much over 1/3 does the average ticket price increase?

Depends on if there is greater than 10k demand. Alabama averaged a shade over 10k last year, so it does seem like they’re trying to meet demand where it is and probably increase season ticket thresholds
—meaning how much one needs to donate/pay for season tickets. (if I had to guess).

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Depends on if there is greater than 10k demand. Alabama averaged a shade over 10k last year, so it does seem like they’re trying to meet demand where it is and probably increase season ticket thresholds
—meaning how much one needs to donate/pay for season tickets. (if I had to guess).
i think of it like this
15k stadium capacity
10k average demand
average revenues/game = $10000 x average ticket price
BUT LIMITED PRESSURE TO PAY HIGHER PRICE DUE TO EXCESS CAPACITY

but with 10k stadium capacity and 10k average demand
there is no more excess capacity
price control is now in control of the ticket holders and ticket resellers not the university box office
furthermore, if the average attendance is 10k, some games have higher attendance, some have lower
ticket holders price control is magnified for the games with higher than 10k demand atendance

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The University of Alabama women's gymnastics program, which uses the same arena, also draws home crowds in excess of 10K.