Expat Hoops Updates

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Our talent level is not fine.....end of discussion.

No. But it’s not because our top 5 is trash either, it’s because we are relying on underecruited talent to all hit as A10 level starters, guys like Otis, Grayer, Kier, Miller, Oduro etc.

As SAE4 just said. You take that core and you add a Jeff Dowtin to it (who we offered) or even a Tre Wood (who we offered), Qudus Wahab (who we offered) etc. and we are taking a different ballgame.

Old Man

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
You take that core and you add a Jeff Dowtin to it (who we offered) or even a Tre Wood (who we offered), Qudus Wahab (who we offered) etc. and we are taking a different ballgame.

I'll start by saying I am not a talent evaluator, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. What I can evaluate is results, and those results for Mason have not been impressive, to put it nicely.

But are you really positing that had one, one of those players taken Paulson's offer, we would have seen 'a different ballgame' which I interpret you to mean vastly better results? Fourth or better multiple times, championship possibly in the A10? Is that what you mean, due to one of those single players choosing to come to Mason?

You seem to forget, scholarships are a zero sum game. Had one of those players accepted, who would we not have gotten? Miller? Kolek? Oduro? Might we have been a smidge better? I'm ok accepting that. But 'a different ballgame' better, I don't think so.

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
We'll be sitting down with Folarin Campbell in a couple days, so we invite you to follow us on our social handles, particularly Twitter, to send us any questions you'd like us to ask him. We're on IG, Twitter, Facebook @ExpatHoops. We'll also try to check in here to see if there are any questions as well.

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
We'll be sitting down with Folarin Campbell in a couple days, so we invite you to follow us on our social handles, particularly Twitter, to send us any questions you'd like us to ask him. We're on IG, Twitter, Facebook @ExpatHoops. We'll also try to check in here to see if there are any questions as well.

We're sitting down with Folarin on Friday late in the afternoon. Get your questions for him in!

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
We had quite a bit from Folarin Campbell when we sat down with him. While we expect to put out the full episode on Monday, 4/5, we have plenty of extra content. If you help us get just 6 more subscribers to our YouTube Channel, we'll release the next extra.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwPOd53mguQ
We're halfway to our goal. We get 3 more, we'll release another extra with Folarin before his episode airs!

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
We don't blame you for being excited about the recruiting news (Welcome DShawn!!), but we're happy to report we did hit 50 subs. As promised, here is another preview of our interview with Folarin Campbell. Help us grow and be notified when our new content hits, so be sure to subscribe if you haven't already!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UR0Krj6pxE

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
Porter Troupe, formerly of University of Portland, is our next guest. He's played with Mike Mo, and some of the old CAA folks may remember ODU's Chris Cooper. This was just one of Porter's overseas stories. We'll have the full episode out on Monday, but in the meantime please subscribe to our channel so you don't miss any newly added content!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlB6jxdWtA

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
We're out with our 19th episode. This time, we have on University of Portland grad Porter Troupe. Porter is a 2005 grad and has spent a lot of time overseas, including time spent with Mike Mo (who he mentions a few times in this episode). If you enjoyed hearing about Mike Mo's times in Cyprus, you'll enjoy hearing Porter's stories.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdRI5PtBFHI&t=520s

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
We're out with our 20th episode. This time we sit down with our first journalist, Jeeho Yoo. While Jeeho covers the wildly popular Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) primarily, he is a hoops fan and gave us a great run down of sports in South Korea, some of the successes and failures of the KBL & WKBL, as well as what kind of popularity the NBA has in the country.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIixN1bYRn8&t

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
We're out with our 20th episode. This time we sit down with our first journalist, Jeeho Yoo. While Jeeho covers the wildly popular Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) primarily, he is a hoops fan and gave us a great run down of sports in South Korea, some of the successes and failures of the KBL & WKBL, as well as what kind of popularity the NBA has in the country.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIixN1bYRn8&t
Really looking forward to this one, the basketball scene and perception of the sport in Asian countries is really interesting to me.

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
Really looking forward to this one, the basketball scene and perception of the sport in Asian countries is really interesting to me.
This interview really took shape in DM convo with him. We got talking about where sports are on the "totem pole" so to speak. That was fascinating. Women's golf is debatably more popular than men's golf.
Also, he's a really nice guy and does fantastic work. Highly, highly recommend following him on Twitter @Jeeho_1. He's on an employer mandated vacation until early May, but he'll be back soon. Assuming the Olympics go and they have media there, he's slated to attend and do coverage there too.

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
In addition to our regular episodes (we've got like 6 guests already lined up), was wondering if folks around here would like to weigh in on a potential live stream idea we have. Been seeing, in various places, some questions people still have about overseas. For instance, "why doesn't (Player) go pro?" is one that pops up from time to time.

Thoughts on a live stream with a few of our past guests to answer questions and/or what are some topics we could answer you've wondered about?

OP
Expat Hoops

Expat Hoops

Sixth Man
When you gonna get George Evans on?
We actually have set up a Patreon page a while back where there is a membership tier for fan requests (which would include a request for a specific guest). That link is below if you're interested.

Generally speaking though, we have more avenues with more recent guys (whether Mason or non-Mason) just by nature of who is/is not on social media or other avenues we can use to track down people.