DC City Council Member Promotes Big 6 Tourney For DC Area Schools

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
In April, Evans proposed a resolution in support of creating a local Big 6 college basketball tournament featuring American, Georgetown, George Mason, George Washington, Howard and Maryland. D.C.’s Big 6 would be modeled after Philadelphia’s Big 5 of LaSalle, Pennsylvania, St. Joseph’s, Temple and Villanova. Those teams have played each other every year since 1955, except for an eight-season stretch in the 90s when the full round robin format was abandoned and each school played two Big 5 opponents per year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...sketball-tournament-like-philadelphias-big-5/

I say good luck to the DC council. They have zero ability to make this happen. It's a nice thought but other than that...you can't even get GW/UMD/GT/Mason all in the BBT at the same time and they are somehow going to add in 2 more schools to play EVERY YEAR.

Um. No.

GMUSig03

All-Conference
I was about to say Howard doesn't belong in that group but then I realized they had a better record than us last year :(

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
When the game today is more national than ever, tourneys like these are hard to put together. The Pre season tourney's, NIT, Maui, Battle4Atlantis etc, they are the modern day local tourney.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lets be honest, there is nothing for Maryland or Georgetown to gain by that tournament. They can schedule their home-and-home and keep all that TV $$. This is only being driven by DC politicians with GW ties trying to get a Georgetown-GW game back on the schedule, so they mask that with this DC Big 6 idea. its nice story for message boards, though.