Dave Paulsen

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Also, can anyone honestly say that they think Dave Paulsen will ever be an upper-echelon A-10 coach?

No offense to Paulsen. If he is the new coach, I'll give him a chance like everyone else, but this does feel like a CAA hire.

May as well make a run at Bill Coen if we're going in that direction.

This would be my fear of a Paulsen regime, that his ceiling is much lower than a younger, more aggressive coach, that we become a sort of perennial middle of the pack A10 team.

Dawgs99

Starter
Paulsen may in fact turn out to be an underrated hire. I obviously hope he experiences immense success if he comes to Fairfax.

That doesn't change the fact that having to hire a coach from the Patriot League is a huge letdown because nobody else with any juice will take our job.

I guess my question Jim is besides the fact that Moton is a brother and probably has a much bigger johnson, what is the major difference between him and Paulsen? Both have had good success in a low major conference. Both seem ready for a new challenge. Many on the boards were OK with Moton...but is there much of a difference?

**This post is in no way an endorsement of the possible hire of Dave Paulsen**

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Bucknell fans don't seem to care if he stays or goes.

Interesting comment:

"Find this a stretch. Paulsen has a number of strong assets, in particular strong recruiter in academic environment. Not known for being flexible in his offensive and defensive schemes. George Mason a different environment."

They seem to be high on one of his assistants.

http://boards.basketball-u.com/show..._session_id/794a55db759e998896ea177c08dfe1a9/

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I guess my question Jim is besides the fact that Moton is a brother and probably has a much bigger johnson, what is the major difference between him and Paulsen? Both have had good success in a low major conference. Both seem ready for a new challenge. Many on the boards were OK with Moton...but is there much of a difference?

**This post is in no way an endorsement of the possible hire of Dave Paulsen**

Moton is 10 years younger would be my guess.

p8triotfan4liferightnow

Preferred Walk-On
EJGAYCXUOVXKBSH.20141204230341.jpg

ephoops

Starter
I thought I would drop in to your message board when I heard the rumor that Paulsen was in the mix for the HC job.

I'm a Williams alum and have followed Paulsen's career since he became the HC at Williams And then at Bucknell.

Bottom line, he's a winner. He won a D-3 national championship at Williams and lost at the buzzer in the national championship game the following year. When he left Williams to take the Bucknell job, he left a roster that was stacked with talent that probably would have won a couple more national championships had he stayed at Williams.

He took over a Bucknell team that did not have much talent and brought in a great recruiting class in his first year. That class included Muscala who now plays for the Hawks. At Bucknell he has won numerous conference championships and taken the team to two NCAA tourneys. This year's team had a strong freshman class and they will likely be at the top of the Patriot League for the next few years.

His coaching style is as follows:

On offense, he runs multiple motion sets that try to take advantage of the talents of the players. His Most successful teams at both Williams and Bucknell had a strong post player with above above average shooters. His teams at Williams had very good PGs, while at Bucknell, the PG play has been inconsistent.(Note: Paulsen played PG at Williams in the mid 1980's).

On defense, he is strictly a man-to-man coach. There were times at both Williams and Bucknell that the team probably would have benefitted from playing some zone based on the opponent.

Another underrated strength of Paulsen is his ability to develop big men. Muscala is an excellent case study. He was very lightly recruited coming out of H.S. In Minn. when he arrived at Bucknell. Over the next four years, he developed into an NBA draft pick. Bucknell had a freshman big man this year who made great strides from the beginning of the season to the end.

I have no idea what the talent level is on the current GMU roster, but rest assured, if Paulsen is hired, he will bring in good players, develop them and have a team that will be at the top of the A10 in a few years.

ephoops

Starter
The pic is from this year. It was a throwback 70's promotion that Bucknell put on. The players wore uniforms from the 70's as well. Paulsen is a suit and tie guy.

I thought I would drop in to your message board when I heard the rumor that Paulsen was in the mix for the HC job.

I'm a Williams alum and have followed Paulsen's career since he became the HC at Williams And then at Bucknell.

Bottom line, he's a winner. He won a D-3 national championship at Williams and lost at the buzzer in the national championship game the following year. When he left Williams to take the Bucknell job, he left a roster that was stacked with talent that probably would have won a couple more national championships had he stayed at Williams.

He took over a Bucknell team that did not have much talent and brought in a great recruiting class in his first year. That class included Muscala who now plays for the Hawks. At Bucknell he has won numerous conference championships and taken the team to two NCAA tourneys. This year's team had a strong freshman class and they will likely be at the top of the Patriot League for the next few years.

On offense, he runs multiple motion sets that try to take advantage of the talents of the players. His Most successful teams at both Williams and Bucknell had a strong post player with above above average shooters. His teams at Williams had very good PGs, while at Bucknell, the PG play has been inconsistent.(Note: Paulsen played PG at Williams in the mid 1980's).

On defense, he is strictly a man-to-man coach. There were times at both Williams and Bucknell that the team probably would have benefitted from playing some zone based on the opponent.

Another underrated strength of Paulsen is his ability to develop big men. Muscala is an excellent case study. He was very lightly recruited coming out of H.S. In Minn. when he arrived at Bucknell. Over the next four years, he developed into an NBA draft pick. Bucknell had a freshman big man this year who made great strides from the beginning of the season to the end.

I have no idea what the talent level is on the current GMU roster, but rest assured, if Paulsen is hired, he will bring in good players, develop them and have a team that will be at the top of the A10 in a few years.

This is a reassuring post. Thank you for your input.

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen is coming from Bucknell, which is where CAAZone 2011 coach replacement favorite Bill Courtney starred and was inducted into their hall of fame. Courtney was an assistant to Larranaga, along with Scott Cherry. Scott Cherry played at North Carolina under Dean Smith. So it's almost as though we're hiring Dean Smith. Who amongst us has a problem hiring the next Dean Smith?

KAOriginal

All-American
Paulsen is coming from Bucknell, which is where CAAZone 2011 coach replacement favorite Bill Courtney starred and was inducted into their hall of fame. Courtney was an assistant to Larranaga, along with Scott Cherry. Scott Cherry played at North Carolina under Dean Smith. So it's almost as though we're hiring Dean Smith. Who amongst us has a problem hiring the next Dean Smith?

And the fact that Paulsen knows Mason.....by beating us in 2013.

Match made in heaven I tell you.

Herndon

All-Conference

Spectacular input. Thank you!

1) How aggressive is his man to man, is it a pressure man like duke that tries to force turnovers or a conservative man that tries to force tough shots? Either is ok, but I'm curious.

2) Motion offenses tend to spread out the distribution duties. Does he tend to favor scoring point guards because of this?

3) What motion offenses does he run? Flex? Screen game? Swing? Something of his own design? Who are his offensive influences?

KAOriginal

All-American
Well the sad thing is.....I am sure Edwards counted on a donation bump over the excitement of a new energizing coach......