Dave Paulsen

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Guys. Be good. Zone Admin just texted me and said one of the IP addresses on the site right now traces back to the hard address where Bucknell AD offices are located.
It is probable, nay, almost certain, Paulsen or one of his cronies is reading this thread right now.
You guys have already scared off a couple hires. Be on your best behavior, now, for God sakes.
Are you being serious? If a coach is scared away by a bunch of idiots like us then he probably doesn't have what it takes to be successful anywhere. Ever been to a P5 message board? They are brutal.

DeepValue

Starter
File photo of Claire...

claire.png

MasonHoopsEst2000

Four-star Recruit
Look guys, here's my annoyance with this. We've been through hell the last two years. We needed something to believe in. Something that showed Mason cares about the program. Something that shows the AD knows what he's doing. That the BOD supports us and the President wants us to succeed. Throwing a "meh" hire at us at this time is a tough pill to swallow.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Look guys, here's my annoyance with this. We've been through hell the last two years. We needed something to believe in. Something that showed Mason cares about the program. Something that shows the AD knows what he's doing. That the BOD supports us and the President wants us to succeed. Throwing a "meh" hire at us at this time is a tough pill to swallow.

Larranaga was a "meh" hire. Many on here were around to tell you that. He worked out ok, right.

UCLA settled in Alford after Shaka wouldn't even interview. Many said Alford's grinding style would be a horrible fit in SoCal, said he was too boring, and he's done OK for far.

No matter who we hire, you've got to give them support and a chance to succeed.

Dawgs99

Starter

Mason is not a real desirable job for a myriad of reasons right now...I'm just glad someone with a decent resume wants to coach here. We're not even sure if Paulsen is really the guy...lets see how this one plays out. Brad went after the big names on his list....he can;t make Prohm and others commit to coaching here. Coaches now don't have to make a stop at a school like Mason before getting the calls from the BCS schools. Hey at least Paulsen didn't just get fired from his last job, he's actually due for a promotion!

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Didn't I say that my Sourzes said it would be a hire not currently discussed? Didn't I?

Bow down before the awesome sauce that is my sourzes.

Suck it P8CBlockforLife's!!

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

I think you are conflating things a bit. I would not take the recent events as a reflectino on Brad or the Admin. He is doing a competent and thorough search - it is just some of his more aggressive reaches did not pan out - we wanted to reach for big no?

The greater effort needed to land someone should fall at the feet of Merten, TOC and Hewitt.

Not the team we have now.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Paulsen may in fact turn out to be an underrated hire. I obviously hope he experiences immense success if he comes to Fairfax.

That doesn't change the fact that having to hire a coach from the Patriot League is a huge letdown because nobody else with any juice will take our job.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Also, can anyone honestly say that they think Dave Paulsen will ever be an upper-echelon A-10 coach?

No offense to Paulsen. If he is the new coach, I'll give him a chance like everyone else, but this does feel like a CAA hire.

May as well make a run at Bill Coen if we're going in that direction.

psyclone

Hall of Famer

Dawgs-thanks--impressive guy. I haven't followed his career closely but had the general sense that Bucknell was always a solid program.
  • Has instructional videos, likely a good X & O coach (in the past, Larranaga was writing books on the scramble defense)
  • likes to "throw the ball into the big guy" (Muscala ~Thompson?).
  • Has won a Div III National Championship. Phi Beta Kappa.
  • Lifetime: wins nearly two/thirds of the time.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Also, can anyone honestly say that they think Dave Paulsen will ever be an upper-echelon A-10 coach?

No offense to Paulsen. If he is the new coach, I'll give him a chance like everyone else, but this does feel like a CAA hire.

May as well make a run at Bill Coen if we're going in that direction.

I personally like Coen and he has a good reputation, but lifetime he's only .500. How come the contrast between his reputation and his bottom line record?

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I really like the fact that he can X & O. I also saw one of his assistants at Bucknell had ties to DC, so that might help him on the recruiting front.

It might be under the radar, and not "excite" the fan base, but something like this might be perfectly fine.