Dave Paulsen

FreeGunston12

All-American
Super fans love paulsen but a couple of former players do not. Our alum are a lot more qualified to recruit in this area than 75% of Paulsens total of assistant coaches during his time here. Shitty to hear they don’t have relationships with current staff
This is probably the part that I find most unfortunate about the current state of the program. I was hopeful that having the TBT scrimmage last year would help start to establish some of those relationships with former players. I guess that was not all too fruitful.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Super fans love paulsen but a couple of former players do not. Our alum are a lot more qualified to recruit in this area than 75% of Paulsens total of assistant coaches during his time here. Shitty to hear they don’t have relationships with current staff

To be fair, there was a pic of Oduro working out with Will Thomas and Trey Porter posted recently. Will Thomas works out at Mason every year (but this may have to do with only his relationship with Handy).

Also, Darryl Monroe is from Virginia Beach (also a great recruiting area), not the D.C. area. I mean, maybe he has ties to some local area high schools.

Big one for me, though, is it's pretty clear the staff doesn't have a great relationship with Butler, who is sitting on a gold mine of recruits at PVI right now.

Last edited:

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
To be fair, there was a pic of Oduro working out with Will Thomas and Trey Porter posted recently. Will Thomas works out at Mason every year (but this may have to do with only his relationship with Handy).

Also, Darryl Monroe is from Virginia Beach (also a great recruiting area), not the D.C. area. I mean, maybe he has ties to some local area high schools.

Big one for me, though, is it's pretty clear the staff doesn't have a great relationship with Butler, who is sitting on a gold mine of recruits at PVI right now.
Darryl Monroe could be in Kalamazoo, the fact that he doesn't feel anything towards our current admin pisses me off

Butler and "great relationship" is not even close... he does not like the Mason staff much at all

We are missing out

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

This is definitely a missed opportunity to have former players more involved. All you have to do is look at homecoming each year. Less and less players showing up. I’d love to see some of our notable basketball alumni more involved with the program, both with the players in the off season/drills (is this against any kind of rules?), and in other aspects.

How cool would it be if instead of a chalk talk from an assistant who doesn’t like public speaking for a meaningless game against American or Navy they brought back one or two alumni basketball players to talk about something for five minutes then hang out and take pictures with donors/interact with fans in the gold/green rooms? I like the chalk talks for league games or bigger non cons but really it’s kind of stupid for the Longwoods of our schedule when it just boils down to “we’re going to be better at basketball than them”.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
How cool would it be if instead of a chalk talk from an assistant who doesn’t like public speaking for a meaningless game against American or Navy they brought back one or two alumni basketball players to talk about something for five minutes then hang out and take pictures with donors/interact with fans in the gold/green rooms? I like the chalk talks for league games or bigger non cons but really it’s kind of stupid for the Longwoods of our schedule when it just boils down to “we’re going to be better at basketball than them”.
AMAZING idea. Greg Kennedy who is the only person I have faith with left in the program. Please read this

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
This is definitely a missed opportunity to have former players more involved. All you have to do is look at homecoming each year. Less and less players showing up. I’d love to see some of our notable basketball alumni more involved with the program, both with the players in the off season/drills (is this against any kind of rules?), and in other aspects.

Always great to go to Pats home games each year and get to wear former players SB rings and chat with them for a bit. Hell even a decent former women's player might be better than some assistants chalk talks

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Darryl Monroe could be in Kalamazoo, the fact that he doesn't feel anything towards our current admin pisses me off

Butler and "great relationship" is not even close... he does not like the Mason staff much at all

We are missing out

Lamar is still salty about Hewitt getting canned. I don’t think he likes Brad much, but I asked him on Twitter and he insisted he has no beef with the current MBB staff.

That said, it is infuriating how lousy a job Mason has done in maintaining the connection with our most successful basketball alumni. Regardless of how badly it ended with Larranaga, it’s inexcusable for those guys to feel anything but welcome in the program they built. They’re a living testimony to recruits what can be accomplished at Mason...

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Lamar is still salty about Hewitt getting canned. I don’t think he likes Brad much, but I asked him on Twitter and he insisted he has no beef with the current MBB staff.

That said, it is infuriating how lousy a job Mason has done in maintaining the connection with our most successful basketball alumni. Regardless of how badly it ended with Larranaga, it’s inexcusable for those guys to feel anything but welcome in the program they built. They’re a living testimony to recruits what can be accomplished at Mason...
I am not going to say I am shocked by this post but I am utterly shocked...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023

love this idea. Send greg Kennedy an e-mail with the idea like @sleeperpick said

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Greg is the best, known him for years. Puts up with me and @MasonFanatic and our snide comments lol. He’s essentially what Max was for the patriot club.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I just don't see Dave sitting around thinking up new plays "every single day." If that was true I would venture to guess that we would have something more creative offensively, defensively, and especially from an inbounds play point of view. I like him more when he closes his mouth. As expected he blamed last year on injuries. Broken record. Nothing new there. We are not yet an "elite" defensive team? Thanks Captain Obvious, I mean Dave. 39 - 51 in A10 play gets him little confidence from me. Wow, I need to have a few beers. I shouldn't be this down before the season even starts, or doesn't start.

tblack33

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I just don't see Dave sitting around thinking up new plays "every single day." If that was true I would venture to guess that we would have something more creative offensively, defensively, and especially from an inbounds play point of view. I like him more when he closes his mouth. As expected he blamed last year on injuries. Broken record. Nothing new there. We are not yet an "elite" defensive team? Thanks Captain Obvious, I mean Dave. 39 - 51 in A10 play gets him little confidence from me. Wow, I need to have a few beers. I shouldn't be this down before the season even starts, or doesn't start.

The plays part cracked me up. I can probably count the number of set plays we've ran in the last 4 years on one hand. I don't need hands to count our inbounds plays.

sleeperpick

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
lol... I'll still take lobbing the ball at the top of the key over Hewitt's 4 second then call time out inbound plays. He needs to utilize AJ's athleticism. I want a see a minimum of 2 alley oop attempts a game.
Paulsen hates ally oops so good luck with that. Sat Kier and AJ 5 mins each after a failed attempt last year and kicked the scorers table lol. "Bring 1940's basketball back again" is more like our slogan