Coach Hewitt Compensation per Win

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Someone brought up the compensation per win our coach is receiving. I thought this was an interesting question and worth tracking over the course of the season.

According to the most reliable of internet sources, wikipedia, Coach Hewitt earned $744,750 in 2013. Using that figure as the base and dividing by a regular season of 29 games, I get a payout of $25,681 per game.

At severn games into the season, the current payout has been $179,767. Divided by the two wins, the current compensation per win comes out to $89,884 per win.

I'm open to critiques of my numbers/methodology and willing to update as apropriate.

$89,884 per win

Paul-Hewitt.jpg

wijg

Starter
Next year (hopefully), his pay will be infinite per win (Total Pay divided by zero wins). Then again, if he is no longer the coach next year, in a way he gets credit for every win we get next year.

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Incidentally, Shaka Smart and his $1.2 million contract before performance bonuses comes out to $54,193 per win using the same methodology.

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Another comparison, Anthony Grant ranks as one of the 25 highest paid coaches in the country at $1.8 million.
http://www.businessinsider.com/here...013-12#23-anthony-grant-alabama--18-million-3

Despite this paycheck, his Crimson Tide team still finished with a 13-19 record. Even in that mismatch though, the University of Alabama still paid less per win last season at $57,400 than George Mason is paying Paul Hewitt.

In fact, the only coaches I've been able to find that are being compensated more per win than Paul Hewitt are the 4 highest paid college basketball coaches Kryzewski, Pitino, Calipari, and Self who have all won national championships for their employer and now being compensated at $5-$7.2 million per season.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Another comparison, Anthony Grant ranks as one of the 25 highest paid coaches in the country at $1.8 million.
http://www.businessinsider.com/here...013-12#23-anthony-grant-alabama--18-million-3

Despite this paycheck, his Crimson Tide team still finished with a 13-19 record. Even in that mismatch though, the University of Alabama still paid less per win last season at $57,400 than George Mason is paying Paul Hewitt.

$1.8 million / 13 = $138,461.53 per win

OP
Quentin Daniels

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
At 2-6, George Mason University has now cracked six figures on what it pays its men's head basketball coach for each win.

$102,724 per win.
GREAT3.png