News Caputo also Rumored as Candidate

KAOriginal

All-American
I'm guessing that Mason's next head coach will be someone who is not currently rumored to be a candidate.

Fully in this camp. Jay has no interest. Caputo...maybe if this was the CAA.

To me it has to be a HC or an EXTRAORDINARY assistant to gamble on.

Esp after the Hewitt debacle, Im just wary of time and effort for an assistant to figure out how to be a HC in the A-10.....

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
A good Asst. doesn't necessarily make a good coach. If a guy is a great recruiter, there's a place for him. If he's a brilliant X's & O's guy, there's a place for him. If he can develop big men, you've got a spot for him.

A head coach runs the program though, so it's helpful if he can do those things, but needs to be a good manager who can put together a strong staff, has a vision of what the team should look like, the type of players he needs, can communicate this effectively, etc.

wijg

Starter
Brad Edwards fired black Cliff Warren and replaced him with white Tony Jasick. If he replaces black Paul Hewitt with another white coach - is this enough to label him a racist?

Should I bring this up to my Starbucks barrista?
Maybe that will be Hewitt's next cause to fight for. We really need people like Hewitt on that wall.

p8triotfan4liferightnow

Preferred Walk-On
I worry about if Caputo is ready or not also but have to think the people making the decisions know more about how he's perceived in the coaching world then we all do.

wijg

Starter
I worry about if Caputo is ready or not also but have to think the people making the decisions know more about how he's perceived in the coaching world then we all do.
I would hope and assume so. But, as we saw with the Hewitt hire, that was a flawed assumption... I am hopeful BE is on a completely different plane than TOC

wijg

Starter
TOC wanted a clean program and good student athletes. Edwards wants to win and be a "powerhouse".
Agreed, but that is the goal, it does not mean BE "knows more" as you suggested in your earlier post. It just means that he places more emphasis on winning than TOC did. I think TOC thought Hewitt was going be good in the wins department, too, though. I would find it hard to believe he thought he was a bad basketball coach, but I guess it is possible.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I am not trying to imply anything about BE. I am just debating the minutia while we wait for Christmas present to arrive from Santa Claus.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I chuckle at the thought of various people being mentioned as "candidates."

In these situations, the person chosen is almost always somebody who hasn't even been mentioned until the last minute and seemingly comes out of left field.

That's because most media outlets are lazy and will just throw out names that appear to make sense, whether they're on the list to be contacted or not. It's especially true when the local press barely acknowledges your program's existence. This is why names like Larranaga and Caputo are being floated.

I take encouragement from the fact that Howland hasn't been mentioned in connection with our job. It means we still have a chance to land him.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
.... I would find it hard to believe he thought he was a bad basketball coach, but I guess it is possible.

U cant be serious. What part of "lost 60% of his conf games at Ga Tech" describes a good coach? Its clear Hewitt wants to work on social change. And thats great. Just cant do it fronting as a bball coach.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I am just debating the minutia while we wait for Christmas present to arrive from Santa Claus.

I just want to know what day Christmas is this year. The lack of any decent info on the job search is killin' me!

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
I chuckle at the thought of various people being mentioned as "candidates."

In these situations, the person chosen is almost always somebody who hasn't even been mentioned until the last minute and seemingly comes out of left field.

That's because most media outlets are lazy and will just throw out names that appear to make sense, whether they're on the list to be contacted or not. It's especially true when the local press barely acknowledges your program's existence. This is why names like Larranaga and Caputo are being floated.

I take encouragement from the fact that Howland hasn't been mentioned in connection with our job. It means we still have a chance to land him.

That has been my thoughts from the beginning.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Both Fordham and DePaul are using Parker Executive Search to help identify their new coaches.

Does the fact that we're not hearing anything of substance about our coach search mean anything? Hmmmmmm.......

wijg

Starter
U cant be serious. What part of "lost 60% of his conf games at Ga Tech" describes a good coach? Its clear Hewitt wants to work on social change. And thats great. Just cant do it fronting as a bball coach.
I didn't say TOC wasn't delusional or lazy not to do his homework. I just have a hard time believing he thought Hewitt was a bad coach. Maybe he did and Hewitt was his big FU to the mason fanbase. I guess anything is possible.

So, do you think TOC honestly thought Hewitt was going to be a horrible coach?

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I didn't say TOC wasn't delusional or lazy not to do his homework. I just have a hard time believing he thought Hewitt was a bad coach. Maybe he did and Hewitt was his big FU to the mason fanbase. I guess anything is possible.

I dont think TOC was mentally stable after seeing a legend of the program walk....with his staff.

wijg

Starter
I just want to know what day Christmas is this year. The lack of any decent info on the job search is killin' me!
If it is Howland or another coach that has finished his season already (and/or Jim is right) I would guess by sometime next week. Enough time the do a background check and negotiate a contract.

If the guy is still coaching this season...

psyclone

Hall of Famer

No I don't think he thought he'd be horrible. TOC was close to retirement and, I think, knew he was in a tough spot when Larranaga walked. Scrambling to find a suitable replacement, likely he focused on PH's good qualities (classy guy, scandal-free) and convinced himself that being in a national championship game and a successful 3 yrs at mid-major Siena with NCAA appearances were enough credentials that Hewitt would be successful here. Unfortunately it didn't pan out.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If it is Howland or another coach that has finished his season already (and/or Jim is right) I would guess by sometime next week. Enough time the do a background check and negotiate a contract.

Yep, no reason to wait if the new coach has already been identified. Do it on Monday before the Sweet 16 cranks up and we'll have about a 72-hour window where the college basketball world is paying attention.