News Caputo also Rumored as Candidate

Robot

Administrator
Posted on the MasonHoops.com Blog:

"Caputo also Rumored as Candidate" by Chris Metsala

According to the Palm Beach Post, Former G Mas assistant Chris Caputo now mentioned to be in contention for the position vacated by Paul Hewitt, as speculated by, well, everyone. In regards to Jay Larranaga being a target for the Head Coaching position, reports out of Boston indicate that Mason officials had not contacted him […]

Continue reading...

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Posted on the MasonHoops.com Blog:

"Caputo also Rumored as Candidate" by Chris Metsala

According to the Palm Beach Post, Former G Mas assistant Chris Caputo now mentioned to be in contention for the position vacated by Paul Hewitt, as speculated by, well, everyone. In regards to Jay Larranaga being a target for the Head Coaching position, reports out of Boston indicate that Mason officials had not contacted him […]

Continue reading...
Is Chris Metsala really Poor Man Profit? Or is it someone at the Palm Beach Post?

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I’m sure I'll take some flak for this, but I'm a little surprised by the push for Caputo. Don't get me wrong, I really like Chris - both as a coach and a person, but I just don't know if he's ready to take over an A10 program. I know over the past few years he's interviewed for some lower head coaching jobs and didn't get them. I'm just a little nervous having his first head job being at Mason.

The other thing that concerns me is that he's only worked under one coach. Part of working for other coaches is learning different ways to do things, seeing what works for you and what doesn't. I really wish at some point he would have left Larranaga and got his feet wet somewhere else. When I compare his resume to someone like Cherry who has played under Dean Smith and coached under Larranaga, Horn, Sutton... and has led his own program over the past 6 years, I just don't think they are comparable.

Even when you compare his resume with other assistants that have never been a head coach, I would still rather have someone that has worked for a few different staffs and learned different ways of doing things.

I'm not saying that Caputo won't be a great head coach some day, I guess there is just a little bit more risk with someone like him. If he gets the job I'll be "all in" with him, but I would be surprised that his credentials beat out some of the other possibilities. I don't want someone just because they used to coach here - that goes for Cherry too. I want the best guy available.

Now start the piling on.

I have a feeling Edwards will see who will become the new Hot Coach this March Madness. See who the next Andy Enfield is....it could very well be Andy Toole at RMU.

I know nothing about Chris' X's and O's, but based on his superior leadership and recruiting abilities, he certainly deserves to be a final tier candidate.

Would of course from a personal level love to see Cherry or Caputo or Konkol be at least seriously considered.

dr. gunnie

Administrator
Staff member
I know nothing about Chris' X's and O's, but based on his superior leadership and recruiting abilities, he certainly deserves to be a final tier candidate.

I thought Hewitt's recruiting abilities were going to put us over the top when he was hired - boy was I wrong. Hopefully if Chris is the guy he will not only be able to recruit well, but know that we don't need 13 forwards on the team and to grab a guard every now and then.

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
I'd be surprised if Caputo was a serious candidate for the same reasons Gunnie brought up. Just seems like a big jump and we could land a more seasoned candidate.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I thought Hewitt's recruiting abilities were going to put us over the top when he was hired - boy was I wrong.

I'm guilty of the same thing. Unfortunately, Hewitt didn't bring in the right players or put them in a position to win once they got here. .

We need somebody who can recruit and coach. I can go to the grocery store and buy all of the top ingredients for great meal, but it doesn't mean I can make it once I get home. Whatever candidate meets that criteria — whether he's an assistant or a head coach — he's got my vote.

I thought Hewitt's recruiting abilities were going to put us over the top when he was hired - boy was I wrong. Hopefully if Chris is the guy he will not only be able to recruit well, but know that we don't need 13 forwards on the team and to grab a guard every now and then.

Well, I will say in partial Hewitt defense that clearly there was a belief we needed to get taller and more athletic at most positions to compete in the A-10. My main beef is running a four-out offense with said redundant roster.

There is no question that Larranaga's philosophies evolved as he was here--I wonder how much that could have been in part due to Caputo? Some of the nice quick hitters L had off inbounds and the like...did Caputo have a hand in those?

Certainly would be willing to give him a chance here. Especially if he brought Konkol or someone good as lead assistant.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
The biggest offensive adjustments and/or tweaks I remember were by Cherry and Courtney. Thats when you saw a less regiment offense arise.

I would also think a new AD might avoid the L coaching tree just in principle, to put an unmistakable Edwards stamp on the decision.

I know he's aware of Cherry; I don't know if he's aware of Caputo. As of earlier this week I don't think anyone had been officially contacted, but that may have changed by now.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Although I would definitely support a Chris Caputo hire if that is the decision, the first person Coach L still turns to now during almost every timeout is Eric Konkel. He might not be the ace recruiter Chris is, but there is no question that Eric has Coach L's ear when talking about strategy.

I would also think a new AD might avoid the L coaching tree just in principle, to put an unmistakable Edwards stamp on the decision.

I know he's aware of Cherry; I don't know if he's aware of Caputo. As of earlier this week I don't think anyone had been officially contacted, but that may have changed by now.

He's aware of Caputo. Caputo (as it was noted somewhere else) met with him about the Jacksonville job. Not that it means anything.

Dawgs99

Starter
I think it means somthing, if Brad didn't think Caputo was his #1 choice for Jacksonville surely he won't think Caputo is ready for Mason and the A10.

Nick

Four-star Recruit
Let me preface this comment by saying that Scott Cherry would be my top choice. And I agree with Gunnie that Caputo as HC scares me a little for the same reasons he listed.

But the Caputo and Jay Larranaga rumors are interesting to me. My key concern with Larranaga is his lack of college coaching experience and how that plays into the recruiting side of things. Caputo has a reputation as an ace recruiter. So if Larranaga is being courted as a HC, is there any chance we are trying to bring Caputo home to Fairfax as a top assistant and head recruiter? Possible to give him a nice raise to leave Miami?