News Caputo also Rumored as Candidate

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
No I don't think he thought he'd be horrible. TOC was close to retirement and, I think, knew he was in a tough spot when Larranaga walked. Scrambling to find a suitable replacement, likely he focused on PH's good qualities (classy guy, scandal-free) and convinced himself that being in a national championship game and a successful 3 yrs at mid-major Siena with NCAA appearances were enough credentials that Hewitt would be successful here. Unfortunately it didn't pan out.

For the record though - not scandal free. Ga Tech was hit w/NCAA sanctions after he was fired.

polepino

Starter
...likely he focused on PH's good qualities (classy guy, scandal-free) and convinced himself that being in a national championship game and a successful 3 yrs at mid-major Siena with NCAA appearances were enough credentials that Hewitt would be successful here.

On paper, if those were the only things you heard about any coach, I'd think most people would back that hire.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
On paper, if those were the only things you heard about any coach, I'd think most people would back that hire.

If you're an athletic director and you don't take the time to look at the whole picture when you're trying to replace a man who was the face of your university, you're a clueless fool.

polepino

Starter
If you're an athletic director and you don't take the time to look at the whole picture when you're trying to replace a man who was the face of your university, you're a clueless fool.
We obviously now know he chose to overlook the negatives. That or maybe he thought "Maybe Paul just needs to go back to a smaller school for success, look what he did at Siena!"

KAOriginal

All-American

Im sure he did. BUT....Im willing to bet TOC figured Hewitt was going to be a good enough coach in the CAA to keep cranking out 20+ wins a season with a few NCAA wins here and there and maybe a decent recruit along the way.

Hewitt fit alot of basic needs TOC needed...a name, a resume, diversity, etc.