Caption This

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Thought we could use a caption thread. I'll start.

message board trolls.JPG

masonjoe

Starter
I used to find these funny until I heard hewitt in person speak about how it negatively affects recruiting. I mean if you not going to be part of the solution then I think you should find a new team to root for.

Vurbel

Hall of Famer
If a recruit is more influenced by a message board than what happens on a basketball court then they are not the type of person we'd want in Fairfax anyways.

masonjoe

Starter
If a recruit is more influenced by a message board than what happens on a basketball court then they are not the type of person we'd want in Fairfax anyways.

These kids are 16-18 years old, they are influenced by a lot that would make you think twice. The recruiting battles margin of victory is very small, if you don't believe that just ask the staff about shevon thompson, I did.

OP
Walter

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
You know what I don't find funny anymore? Getting embarrassed at home by horrible teams. Almost going winless in conference. Watching how quickly we have sunk in three years under Hewitt. As others have said, Hewitt is being paid well. What underperforming coach isn't attacked on fan message boards? Maybe those whose fans don't care. I care. THIS is my way of being part of the solution. In my small way I am putting pressure on those who are paid to do a job. I don't attack Hewitt's character. Mostly my jabs have been attempts at comedy. If he turns it around next season, I will close the Twitter account.

masonjoe

Starter
You know what I don't find funny anymore? Getting embarrassed at home by horrible teams. Almost going winless in conference. Watching how quickly we have sunk in three years under Hewitt. As others have said, Hewitt is being paid well. What underperforming coach isn't attacked on fan message boards? Maybe those whose fans don't care. I care. THIS is my way of being part of the solution. In my small way I am putting pressure on those who are paid to do a job. I don't attack Hewitt's character. Mostly my jabs have been attempts at comedy. If he turns it around next season, I will close the Twitter account.

So it's bad enough we have to watch theis team lose but we also have to look like losers as a fanbase on social media? Cool, have fun with you parody account, it's really helping.

Patriotfan49

Starter
Ugh ......the ole bit about messagboards and how they are negatives, makes people look like losers and all that noise.

Go to every message board ever of any team of any level of sports......Its filled with the same fire this coach, cut this player, that player sucks, this guy is a bust, overreactions to anything etc etc etc. Again, if coaches/players are easily bothered to where some random fans on the internet are going to effect them and become a scapegoat....

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
These kids are 16-18 years old, they are influenced by a lot that would make you think twice. The recruiting battles margin of victory is very small, if you don't believe that just ask the staff about shevon thompson, I did.
Ah yes, the old convince the fans that they are the problem rather than what is actually going on in practice and games. One of the oldest tricks in the book. Surprised you fell for it especially considering Hewitt used the same "magic trick" at GT.

Here's a news flash: It doesn't matter what recruits do or don't come if they aren't coached well when they get here.

KAOriginal

All-American
I'm going to call BS. Message boards are the new norm in sports fandom as pointed out elsewhere.

And all of them, are going to have unflattering and negative posts on them, ESPECIALLY AT PROGRAMS THAT ARE SUCKING.

So to act like this board is really hurting recruiting OVERALL is BS and just an excuse that his "magic" is now tarnished. Conisdering how involved and connected the recruiting process is now, if a kid doesn't know that Coach Hewitt is on the hot seat for stinking up ANOTHER program, then they must be from overseas. JFC its not like you cant google Paul Hewitt and see all you need to know....

Patriotfan49

Starter
Plus you cant miss what you dont have. There is bigger more fundamental issues in the program than one recruit, and no one recruit is going to be the savior of the program.

As said prior, the bigger red flag to recruits would be the poor performance on court and the very questionable coaching situation. The least of concerns would be what some fans on a message board have to say about a flailing program.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
I used to find these funny until I heard hewitt in person speak about how it negatively affects recruiting. I mean if you not going to be part of the solution then I think you should find a new team to root for.

Perhaps, you should ask Hewitt to clarify his remarks before you assume that negative comments on this message board could adversely impact recruiting. I believe that this message board has an insignificant effect on Mason recruiting. Did the staff specifically expressed concerns about this message board with respect to the recruitment of Shevon Thompson?

However, I am concerned about Twitter where fans communicate directly with recruits who have non-private accounts. IMO, this is the social media that really concerns the coaches, some of whom prohibit their players from using Twitter during the season.

Last edited:

mason2k1

Starter
probably also our fault for last years late game "mishaps", OT losses and last minute blown leads. damn us.
or was it because the kids weren't listening.

Patriotfan49

Starter
probably also our fault for last years late game "mishaps", OT losses and last minute blown leads. damn us.
or was it because the kids weren't listening.

Nah, still were Larranaga's guys. Now that he has his roster stockpiled with 6'7 "wings" he is ready to unleash Hewitt Hell.

If it falls short he can always blame Edwards and Gray's as the last of the Larranaga's.......

JimP

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Isn't the shortsighted quote "It's not X's and O's, it's Moes and Joes." attributed to Paul Hewitt? Well, he could recruit a top 3 class in the A-10 every year - but we've seen no evidence that he'll coach the team to an eventual top 3 finish. Hell, we certainly had the Moe's and Joe's last year to do a lot better than 4-12,11-20. Coach up your team Paul, the recruits will come.

Last edited:

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder if Hewitt watched the Spurs at all this season...or last night. Fundamental team ball trumps athletic wings that only attempt one on one bullshit shots. The Heat were burned out, fatigued, and dazed from the Spurs' superb passing.Hmmm Passing?...where were we ranked in that dept? in the 300's. About where Hewitt should be ranked.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Where is s_curl and the Board Police? This thread started out so well with witty captions and then 10 posts about Hewitt coaching, non-coaching, etc. I think we have a 50+ page thread devoted to that so please post that there. I want to see creative captions. Come on, man!!!!!!!