Boyd out for the 2019-20 season. Kier to miss at least four to six weeks.

Dawgs99

Starter
With Boyd out and presumably taking a medical red shirt, how does this effect our scholarship table? Won't we be over the 13 threshold with the 3 kids we having coming in next year and Boyd returning for a 5th year?

JPgmuswim

Starter
With Boyd out and presumably taking a medical red shirt, how does this effect our scholarship table? Won't we be over the 13 threshold with the 3 kids we having coming in next year and Boyd returning for a 5th year?
I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s highly likely that we have a kid transfer out, Wilson and or Boyd will most likely also have the opportunity to be Grad Transfers.

FreeGunston12

All-American
Call me crazy, but it may be a good thing in the long run to have Kier out of the first couple games. The team will have to pick up the slack and ball movement will have to be sharp. Hopefully they'll adapt to not being able to just rely on Kier in isolation. Then we add him back into the mix, and see what they can do when he's healthy.

The Boyd news is really unfortunate though. Good thing we have plenty of wing depth. We should get a good look at what we've got in the young guys. Maybe someone will find themselves out of the rotation and open up a spot for Boyd to return next year. Hopefully AJ sticks around and no big contributors transfer.

Trying to look on the bright side.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Is Kier's play better at a faster or slower pace?

Masonfan3

Starter
I wouldn’t worry about it, it’s highly likely that we have a kid transfer out, Wilson and or Boyd will most likely also have the opportunity to be Grad Transfers.

You are correct. I would say there is probably a 1% chance that Boyd is on this team next year. I like the kid a lot and wish him a speedy recovery but he will transfer to a team that has a better chance of dancing or a school closer to home.

You are correct. I would say there is probably a 1% chance that Boyd is on this team next year. I like the kid a lot and wish him a speedy recovery but he will transfer to a team that has a better chance of dancing or a school closer to home.

you would think that, however it's not like Boyd is a starter even at GMU. Grayer was a starter who had his Dad (a former NBA player) think his kid could play at a higher level.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Boyd being out will give someone with more upside time to get on the court. I think he chose the wrong sport and doubt you'll ever see him in a G Mas jersey again.

FreeGunston12

All-American
If Boyd’s wrist prevents him from shooting maybe he goes back to football. Wouldn’t be that shocking.
If it’s that bad, I can’t imagine that playing football would be a good choice.

Besides, couldn’t he always pull a Greg Paulus and get an extra year of eligibility if he switched to football after one more year of basketball?

OP
Jack Strop

Jack Strop

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Boyd doesn't have to leave Mason Basketball if he sits out this year. If he's healed and the team wants him (and Ian wants Mason) then they will find a way to keep him. I know we currently have no athletic scholarships available, but that's not the only way to keep a player in school and participate on the team, no?