Athletic Director Tom O'Connor Announces Retirement

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Someone might want to post a credible list of finalists before the internet explodes from the meltdown this board is about to experience -- Fukushima level meltdown coming...

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I heard the following for potential candidates

Gunston
Mikey the Chimp
Brian Mull (Who is Brian Mull anyway?)

:D

sigmanorm

Starter
Montgomery Brewster is in the lead
329853_f520.jpg

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Mike Shanahon will be announced Monday as new GMU AD.

M

MikeMason

Spectator
Jacksonville AD (and former Washington Redskin) Brad Edwards is the favorite to replace O'Connor.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Jacksonville AD (and former Washington Redskin) Brad Edwards is the favorite to replace O'Connor.

Now that's a credible name:

Some good things from his bio:

"Over the course of the year, Edwards and the leadership team at Jacksonville raised a department record of approximately $5,000,000 in new capital gifts for athletic facilities, spearheading the development of a 5,500 seat expansion with a new press box to the Football and Lacrosse stadium, a new Softball office/locker room complex with covered batting cage, and a new Lacrosse team meeting room."

"In 2010, Edwards took on the added responsibility of overseeing the restructuring of the Department of Institutional Advancement, consisting of all the College’s external affairs in the areas of fundraising and development, alumni affairs, marketing, branding, public relations, communications and media relations. During this time, total giving to the College experienced a 92% increase over the same period from the previous year."

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wow, Brad Edwards is a blast from the past. I had no idea he was involved in college athletics, but he's put together a pretty impressive resume between South Carolina and Jacksonville. Redskins fans will remember him best for his two interceptions against the Bills in Super Bowl XXVI, where he finished second in the MVP voting behind Mark Rypien.

brad_edwards_1992_01_26.jpg

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
If I remember correctly, Tom, I also think he was the Redskins player rep for several years....I never even thought about having a former Redskin as an AD. That could open up a ton of doors, we might not have previously been able to. I'm tempering my enthusiasm, but I think I'd be on board.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
He appears to be an excellent candidate. If selected, is it likely that a football program would be given proper consideration?

Interestingly, Jacksonville recently fired Hewitt's Siena & GT assistant Cliff Warren who is now an assistant at UMD.