Athletic Director Tom O'Connor Announces Retirement

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
I'll drink to that! Enjoy the retirement TOC - the last few years have been frustrating -- if not infuriating -- but all said he did well for GMU.

sigmanorm

Starter
Agree with Fanatic, lots of good over his time. Couple major gaffs that will tarnish his legacy in the eyes of the fans. Maybe in 10 years we will view him differently.
OK step 1 is done. Who is on the short list of quality candidates?

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
He's done a lot of good for our athletic programs over his tenure (the issues with Larranaga and Hewitt excepted) and I wish him nothing but the best. But I think the time was right. Mason needs a new voice and new energy.
Well said!

Patriotfan49

Starter
Good luck and thanks for the service and all you have done TOC! You deserve to retire.

Now, unless another certain mens bball figure is feeling he needs to retire....we need to nail this AD hire and get a younger, fresher person in there with big ideas and the stones to follow through. Cautiously optimistic....

GreenLantern

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
The time was right. That being said I give him alot of credit in bring our program from mid major obscurity to where we are now. I wish nothing but the best for him. Now let the speculation begin for our new AD

OP
JBiggs

JBiggs

Starter
Considering we have a young, energetic, businessman of a president, I have high hopes that Cabrera will target like-minded people to run the AD. Everything about the University was getting stale the past few years, and it's time to throw the wheat out with the chaff, to get biblical with it.

It will be exciting to follow the progress this spring/summer, and will hopefully help us forget about the pain and suffering that we've all endured. Cheers to TOC - enjoy your retirement.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
As I mentioned on another thread when gmutom posted Goff's tweet with the news, is Kevin McNamee (internal) a viable candidate? As I understand it, he wasn't closely connected to the recruiting and hiring decision with respect to Coach Hewitt.

sigmanorm

Starter
As I mentioned on another thread when gmutom posted Goff's tweet with the news, is Kevin McNamee (internal) a viable candidate? As I understand it, he wasn't closely connected to the recruiting and hiring decision with respect to Coach Hewitt.
I heard that McNamee is not interested based on a conversation I had with someone close to the program in Brooklyn.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I texted him, one more move needed and he is back

I think we are going to have to wait a year for that move. I'll say this, if the new Ad comes in and fires hewitt mid april, donations could soar! Not likely to happen though.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I think we are going to have to wait a year for that move. I'll say this, if the new Ad comes in and fires hewitt mid april, donations could soar! Not likely to happen though.

That'll be the day when donations to the Athletic Dept will "soar" for any reason! Unless I'm misjudging the collective net worth of those who spend many hours on a sports message board.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I wish Tom "Dumbass" O'Connor the best of luck in his retirement.

Just kidding.