Athletic Director Tom O'Connor Announces Retirement

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I posted this in a different thread, but here is the timeline GW had when their AD retired:

On Feb 18, 2011, the Washington Post ran an article that GW AD, Jack Kvancz (who was our AD for years) was retiring and his last day was to be June 30, 2011

On April 20, 2011, GW announced that Patrick Nero would become the next AD at GW.

On April 25, 2011, Nero fired head basketball coach Karl Hobbs

Mike Lonergan was named head coach on May 6, 2011.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I posted this in a different thread, but here is the timeline GW had when their AD retired:

On Feb 18, 2011, the Washington Post ran an article that GW AD, Jack Kvancz (who was our AD for years) was retiring and his last day was to be June 30, 2011

On April 20, 2011, GW announced that Patrick Nero would become the next AD at GW.

I like that timeline better.

mason2k1

Starter

Only 5 days to pick his coach?
Seems awful quick, unless it wasn't his decision..

Hobbs had one or two years left on his contract? I know he was extended through 2012, so I assume one.

Doesnt matter, any new AD will come to the same conclusion as everyone...there's no money for a buyout.

This year at least.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I'm remembering that Hobbs also had issues recruiting players from "pseudo" high schools. Big article in the Post talking about the non-courses being taught there, janitor being the only faculty member. Not the kind of publicity that any college president would want to see. So the decision to fire Hobbs may have preceded the formal hire of the new AD and it was his job to clean house.

Much as we would have liked Hewitt to win more games, his tenure has been scandal-free.

Can't believe the Coach L apologists didn't jump on this paragraph:

"Most importantly, he was responsible for building the men’s basketball team noted for memorable success in the 2006 NCAA Tournament. That year, the 11th-seeded Patriots stunned the basketball world by reaching the Final Four and finished as the eighth-ranked team in the USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll."

A few guys down in Miami, probably one up in Ithaca, NY and another in High Point NC might have a different view on who built the Final Four team.....

Leesburg Chankenstank III

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

"Most importantly, he was responsible for building the men’s basketball team noted for memorable success in the 2006 NCAA Tournament. That year, the 11th-seeded Patriots stunned the basketball world by reaching the Final Four and finished as the eighth-ranked team in the USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll."

A few guys down in Miami, probably one up in Ithaca, NY and another in High Point NC might have a different view on who built the Final Four team.....

He can take credit for whatever he wants, we can even re-name the entire school The Tom O'Connor University.

I don't wish him ill, I don't wish him well, I just wish him gone.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR

I just skipped right over the BS. He is leaving and that is all I care about at this point. The sooner the better. Good riddance, dumbass.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I'm remembering that Hobbs also had issues recruiting players from "pseudo" high schools. Big article in the Post talking about the non-courses being taught there, janitor being the only faculty member. Not the kind of publicity that any college president would want to see. So the decision to fire Hobbs may have preceded the formal hire of the new AD and it was his job to clean house.
True, but GW adjusted their recruiting policies in the years following that scandal. Fast forward two years- Hobbs wasn't able to bring in talented basketball players, whether that's because the recruiting guidelines changed, he couldn't coach, or a mix of both. While that scandal certainly was a black mark on his resume, he was fired because he was losing games.

Many GW fans wanted to give Hobbs one more year so that their star recruit would enroll on campus, get a year under his belt and hope that he liked GW so much that he wouldn't leave if there was a coaching change. That recruit was Erik Copes.

KAOriginal

All-American
Nothing wrong in wishing TOC well as he rides off into the sunset with Mason Athletics burning down in his rear view mirror.

In all seriousness.....he botched the hires of the Mens and Womens coaches. Cant escape that.

BUT, I really believe when it comes to the post FF lack of momentum and the loss of Larranaga (even if he didnt get along with L)....I think his hands were tied by the old school academic Merten. The super quick move to the A-10 post Merten just tells me that the conservatism we all gripe about...was all coming from the top and TOC had his marching orders....

99 Patriot

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
Hired OCM, chaired the selection committee and was on it when we got the nod post-Skinn nutpunch (guessing even if he was out of the room his presence played a big part in us getting in), guided us to the A-10, got several posters banned from Brion's Grille, has kept us as THE top trap and skeet school in the nation (no idea if that's true), Through any handcuffing, disagreements or politics he's never thrown anyone under the bus nor shifted blame elsewhere.

Thanks for helping to build our program. Not a fan of either idea, but would sooner see your name on the PC floor than the OCM.

too late. already put in my deposit. :)

Hewitt needs to go now too!

If they do this, I'll donate a grand tomorrow.

Thanks TOC for being a class act, and knowing when it's time to leave. I'm sure Jim Larranaga will sign your retirement card.

You got that deposit in today already? That may be your quickest jump back on to the bandwagon. Will you jump off again if there's not a coaching change?