Assists, or lack thereof

GMUSig03

All-Conference
The team has 63 total assists through 8 games. To put into perspective how shockingly terrible that is, there are 8 INDIVIDUALS in Division I that have as many or more assists then our entire TEAM so far this year. Once again, I don't know how that is even possible. #Hewittfactor

wijg

Starter
You make an interesting point that it is not just bad, that it is shockingly terrible. I have seen the Hewitt offense likened to a pickup game where good players are just kind of doing their own thing to get to the basket. Obviously, I don't have statistics on pickup games, but I would expect more assists in a typical pickup game. If I am correct, then you may be right to imply that Hewitt makes it worse than it would be with no instruction at all.

I like your #HewittFactor tag. There is also PHUF as coined on other A10 fan sites: Paul Hewitt Un-coaching Factor.

I used to half jokingly say that Hewitt is making some of the guys, and the team as a whole, worse the more time he spends with them. Evidence seems to be continuing to build that maybe I should say it seriously...

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
I used to half jokingly say that Hewitt is making some of the guys, and the team as a whole, worse the more time he spends with them. Evidence seems to be continuing to build that maybe I should say it seriously...

I believe it is settled science. Those who question it are to be ridiculed and called "#HewittFactor Deniers."

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
You make an interesting point that it is not just bad, that it is shockingly terrible. I have seen the Hewitt offense likened to a pickup game where good players are just kind of doing their own thing to get to the basket. Obviously, I don't have statistics on pickup games, but I would expect more assists in a typical pickup game. If I am correct, then you may be right to imply that Hewitt makes it worse than it would be with no instruction at all.

I like your #HewittFactor tag. There is also PHUF as coined on other A10 fan sites: Paul Hewitt Un-coaching Factor.

There's no question Hewitt makes programs worse the longer he stays.

His best years at GT were early in his tenure when he still had a lot of Cremins' players. His most successful season (record-wise) at Mason was his first and it's been downhill ever since.

Siena (66-27 in 3 years under Hewitt) can only be explained as the mother of all exceptions.

Pablo

Hall of Famer
The only game this season in which Mason had more assists than its opponent was the opener vs. Cornell. Mason is currently tied for 341st in D-I in assists per game (7.9) while Cornell is tied for 300th (10.1 apg).

The Patriots get an assist about once every 5 minutes.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
If we're only gonna have one assist per game, it should be giving Hewitt an assist from somebody who knows how to coach winning basketball.

P

PoorManProfit

Spectator
Mason is currently tied for 341st in D-I in assists per game (7.9)

WOW. How many teams are in D-I? It takes a special team to have that few assists. What a hot mess. Just move to D-2 already.

OP
G

GMUSig03

All-Conference
In all seriousness, I think we would be a middle of the pack team in the Patriot league, and I can't even name 3 of their members off the top of my head (but I did just cheat and look)

smccart5

Starter
as we are not a good team, we would not be good in any league at any level. Sure we would have a great record as a DIII school, but we would still be a bad team.

I'm glad there is a thread on the lack of assists. It is a huge indicator of a bad offense. We really to commit to one starting lineup, and change our whole offensive strategy if we have any hope of being competitive.

Patriotsince81

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
"We really to commit to one starting lineup, and change our whole offensive strategy if we have any hope of being competitive."

Hewitt isn't exactly the poster child for coaches who make adjustments. I think he's just checked out.

wijg

Starter
"We really to commit to one starting lineup, and change our whole offensive strategy if we have any hope of being competitive."

Hewitt isn't exactly the poster child for coaches who make adjustments. I think he's just checked out.
The one adjustment he does make, though, is that he continually tinkers with the lineup. And that is something you would hope would be pretty set by the time you hit conference play, let alone the end of the season.