Ask Dr. Cabrera

Washingtonian

Hall of Famer
http://newsdesk.gmu.edu/2015/01/ask-dr-cabrera-tuesday-fairfax-campus/

“Ask Dr. Cabrera” has been rescheduled for 10 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 3 in Merten 1201 on the Fairfax campus.

President Cabrera wants to hear what’s on the minds of faculty, staff and students at George Mason University.

The event originally scheduled on Jan. 27 had to be postponed because of inclement weather.

The Feb. 3 event, and three subsequent town halls, will be simulcast on all three campuses. Attendees and viewers at all three sites will have the opportunity to share their thoughts or to ask questions.

“This series of town halls is a terrific opportunity to bring all three campuses together,” Cabrera says.

Another town hall is scheduled for 2-3 p.m. on March 18 in Room 163 of Research Hall. Two other sessions will take place at the Prince William and Arlington Campuses. The dates and sites for those events have yet to be determined.

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
F Cabrera. He blocks @FirePaulHewitt from following him or even seeing his tweets.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
F Cabrera. He blocks @FirePaulHewitt from following him or even seeing his tweets.

Don't feel bad. Ryan at gmuhoops did the same to me. Guess he just didn't appreciate my honest journalism feedback. haha

KAOriginal

All-American

Of course not. You can't be an employer and or manager and "associate" with a something that references the termination of an employee. Especially not at a public university.

Talk about Hewitt cashing in a 3rd time....with a civil suit based on a "hostile work environment" or some other suit that Mason would rather settle than fight.....

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Of course not. You can't be an employer and or manager and "associate" with a something that references the termination of an employee. Especially not at a public university.

Talk about Hewitt cashing in a 3rd time....with a civil suit based on a "hostile work environment" or some other suit that Mason would rather settle than fight.....

Agreed! I also believe that we should be able to express our dissatisfaction with Paul Hewitt's coaching without being devoid of empathy for him and President Cabrera. IMO, Hewitt accepted the position not just for the money but because he sincerely believed that he would be successful here.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Agreed! I also believe that we should be able to express our dissatisfaction with Paul Hewitt's coaching without being devoid of empathy for him and President Cabrera. IMO, Hewitt accepted the position not just for the money but because he sincerely believed that he would be successful here.

Agreed.

wijg

Starter
I have one two-part question to ask Cabrera:
Will our men's basketball head coach's first name be Paul on April 1?
If yes, how hard was it getting your head stuck up your a$$?

KAOriginal

All-American
I have one two-part question to ask Cabrera:
Will our men's basketball head coach's first name be Paul on April 1?

Those types of questions are not the ones to get the administration to understand us. And probably will be barely acknowledged and answered. Much like not following @FirePaulHewitt...Cabrera is too smart to entertain those type questions.

The questions to ask are along the lines of how committed is Mason to developing/investing its Mens Basketball program as opposed to our in state league rival vcu? Or where does athletics fit at Mason?

Now if that's just board fodder....cool. I am just afraid some of you out there would actually do that.....

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Those types of questions are not the ones to get the administration to understand us. And probably will be barely acknowledged and answered. Much like not following @FirePaulHewitt...Cabrera is too smart to entertain those type questions.

The questions to ask are along the lines of how committed is Mason to developing/investing its Mens Basketball program as opposed to our in state league rival vcu? Or where does athletics fit at Mason?

Now if that's just board fodder....cool. I am just afraid some of you out there would actually do that.....

Some very pointed and specific questions echoing these more broad questions would be fantastic:

1) When can we expect to see a video scoreboard in the Patriot Center?

2) When are we going to break ground on the baseball stadium upgrades?

3) Are there plans to revisit a basketball training facility, and if so what is the strategy to raise the necessary funds to get it completed?

You get the idea.

wijg

Starter

It was just meant to be funny. I wouldn't waste my breath or time to even bother asking any such question (even worded more politely). It would never get a meaningful response. The problem with these kinds of things is that there is really only one question that matters right now and it is one he would never answer. It is a bad situation in that we are all concerned that Hewitt has to go by the end of the season, and they (Cabrera and Edwards) can't show their cards until they are ready to play them.

Because of that, we are left to worry whether it will happen while we have to listen to politics-esque answers to questions on the topic, trying to discern from those responses how they will act when the time comes.

That is one of the main reasons for doing it sooner rather than later. The pros:
-it is done, then there is zero chance he comes back
-A collective sigh of relief can be breathed by our fan base
-We save the longevity-TOC-is-a-horrible-negotiator-bonus money
-it would ensure we are on the radar of any coach that has interest, so we don't lose out on another coach like Lonergan due to poor timing (unlikely we'd be late, but better safe than sorry)

I've read all of the cons posted on here, but really haven't seen any that hold much weight in my opinion

wijg

Starter
Some very pointed and specific questions echoing these more broad questions would be fantastic:

1) When can we expect to see a video scoreboard in the Patriot Center?

2) When are we going to break ground on the baseball stadium upgrades?

3) Are there plans to revisit a basketball training facility, and if so what is the strategy to raise the necessary funds to get it completed?

You get the idea.
1) don't really care. If it in any way impacts budget for getting rid of Hewitt, it could be never as far as I am concerned
2) ditto, with even less caring
3) care a little bit, but it is so insignificant until we have a good coach that it is almost meaningless

Vurbel

Hall of Famer

I know what you're trying to say, but realistically we aren't rivals with vcu right now. A rivalry goes back and forth and is between generally two evenly matched teams that both sides see it as a rivalry (Duke-UNC, Kentucky-Louisville, etc.) Now in the future we may indeed be rivals again, but we aren't today.

GSII

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Wasnt our credit rating downgraded last year? I wonder if it has upgraded since then. If no, new construction is probably out of the question unless big donations are made.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Danielle Harms ‏@danielleharms 13m13 minutes ago
.@CabreraAngel will be discussing Mason's past and future with @kojoshow today. Looking forward to listening. #mason

Ángel Cabrera retweeted
Esperanza Román ‏@eRomanMe 6m6 minutes ago
President @CabreraAngel on the air today. "@kojoshow: @eRomanMe You bet! Tune in at 1 p.m. EST: http://wamu.fm/1a5acQu"

Here's a link to the archive of what aired:

http://thekojonnamdishow.org/audio/...son-univ-president-angel-cabrera/88102/@00:00

A little on sports but it doesn't come up until the 46 or 48 minute mark of the 52 minute broadcast.
  • harder to engage the community when the basketball team isn't winning
  • Div 1 football is "too expensive" to consider