Anali Okoloji is transferring

masonjoe

Starter
I don't think any of the Big East basketball programs are going to invite him back in. I wish him the best though. I think the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference would be a good fit for him. Pretty much all New York and New Jersey schools.

Plenty of good NEC schools with grad programs in the NY/NJ area as well

Pablo

Hall of Famer

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Ok, I just finished watching it. DANG HE IS GOOD. He is going to create some matchup problems wherever he goes.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Truth be told, Anali would be a very good player on both ends of the court if he was even a little quicker. He's got a decent handle for his height, his form's not bad on his perimeter shot, and he has some decent moves to the basket.

Unfortunately, his lack of speed negates a lot of the things he is able to do well. It's the difference between a pitcher throwing 88-90 mph and 92-95 mph in pro baseball. Unless your name is Greg Maddox or Jamie Moyer, the former speed is more often than not going to land you in the minors.

Last edited:

GMU_DCU

All-Conference
Ok, I just finished watching it. DANG HE IS GOOD. He is going to create some matchup problems wherever he goes.
I love the first 25 seconds are just clips of him standing around looking confused about the defense

Quentin Daniels

Hall of Famer
Be nice if we could get a transfer PG like Ronnie Johnson out of Purdue, but he'd likely want a better program and can get it.

Maybe a Teven Jones out of Virginia or Marquis Rankin out of Tech. Neither lit it up, but perhaps a change would help out.

Dawgs99

Starter
Teven Jones would be real nice...lost his starting spot to London Perrantes. LP was a freshmen this past season but he can really play. Teven Jones would do well at Mason.

masonjoe

Starter
2014-15 is going to be Hewitt's last year, new AD will want his own guy. Who would transfer here and sit not knowing who the next coach will be?

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
2014-15 is going to be Hewitt's last year, new AD will want his own guy. Who would transfer here and sit not knowing who the next coach will be?

A guy who hates winning? A guy who hates playing good defense? A guy who specializes in turnovers and 5-8 min. scoring droughts?

But seriously...

A guy with one year of eligibility left who wants to get as much playing time as he can before he graduates? A guy whose coach just got fired and wants a change of scenery? A guy from the DC area who wants to be a little closer to home? Plenty of reasons.

masonjoe

Starter
A guy with one year of eligibility left who wants to get as much playing time as he can before he graduates? A guy whose coach just got fired and wants a change of scenery? A guy from the DC area who wants to be a little closer to home? Plenty of reasons.

I am talking about the specific coach/new AD situation currently at GMU, not posing a question of "why would someone transfer to GMU". Sure a kid might still want to transfer here but given the situation I think it's unlikely unless they are a 5th year senior.

GMUSSTN

Starter
GIVING DAY 2023
I am talking about the specific coach/new AD situation currently at GMU, not posing a question of "why would someone transfer to GMU". Sure a kid might still want to transfer here but given the situation I think it's unlikely unless they are a 5th year senior.

I don't think the new AD would really affect such a decision, and if the kid thinks he can have an impact maybe he comes here and plays really well and Hewitt wins 30 games and we don't fire him after next season. Hewitt's still got 2 more years, plus if he does get fired the kid would have the opportunity to go wherever he wanted and not sit out a year. To a player we might be a school that just lost its 2 leading scorers and could use an impact player.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
People forget how bad GW was in Lonergan's first two years. The thought of getting a kid from Indiana with the talent like Mo Creek was not on anyone's radar. Why would a kid transfer from a blue-blood school that reached the second weekend of the NCAA tournament want to transfer to an A10 school coming off two consecutive sub-.500 seasons?! But Mo Creek did and he was a difference maker for them.

KAOriginal

All-American
Trying to gauge a kids interest on school based on obvious factors like record, coach leaving is a waste of effort.

Kids go and play where they feel like they have a place and belong, whether its a blue blood like Kentucky or Towson who was 0 for awful and yet still got some decent kids.

Everyone relax and see what happens!

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
People forget how bad GW was in Lonergan's first two years. The thought of getting a kid from Indiana with the talent like Mo Creek was not on anyone's radar. Why would a kid transfer from a blue-blood school that reached the second weekend of the NCAA tournament want to transfer to an A10 school coming off two consecutive sub-.500 seasons?! But Mo Creek did and he was a difference maker for them.

Creek picked GW because it was by far the best school that offered him after he announced he was leaving Indiana.

Nobody thought he could make it through a whole season because of his knees. Coaches weren't exactly knocking Creek's door down and he wanted to come back home to finish up -- and Lonergan, unlike Hewitt, was still early in his tenure and not at all in line to get fired.

Still, GW got very lucky it worked out as well as it did.

I don't think we can bank on getting so lucky. I'm honestly shocked that Hewitt was able to sign Lockett, Mayimba and Porter given the fact that we've basically won diddly poo since he's been here.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I don't think we can bank on getting so lucky. I'm honestly shocked that Hewitt was able to sign Lockett, Mayimba and Porter given the fact that we've basically won diddly poo since he's been here.

Come on, Jim, you can't actually be shocked. Kids want to go to a school where they can play, and with us losing three seniors and sucking as bad as we did, these guys have a very good opportunity to play as freshmen.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Come on, Jim, you can't actually be shocked. Kids want to go to a school where they can play, and with us losing three seniors and sucking as bad as we did, these guys have a very good opportunity to play as freshmen.

I don't know about Lockett and Porter, but Mayimba had offers from three A-10 schools better than us: GW, SLU and Rhody.

So yes, I'm shocked that Hewitt got him to sign on the dotted line.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
So yes, I'm shocked that Hewitt got him to sign on the dotted line.

I'm not shocked about anything any more. Hell, we lost a recruit to San Jose, for crying out loud. Whether it was playing time, liking the campus, looking for a specific major or having a good connection with the coaching staff, Mayimba thought Mason was the best fit for him. Either way, I think we both agree we are glad he did so. Hopefully, he lives up to the hype.

masonjoe

Starter
I don't think the new AD would really affect such a decision, and if the kid thinks he can have an impact maybe he comes here and plays really well and Hewitt wins 30 games and we don't fire him after next season. Hewitt's still got 2 more years

You really think a new AD hired by our President is going to be a Hewitt fan?