Alexandria City High School seniors with 3.25 GPA now automatically admitted to George Mason University

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023

Alexandria City High School seniors with 3.25 GPA now automatically admitted to George Mason University​

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Damn! I had to get in the hard way!
I just scraped by with a 3.3 GPA in high school.

Most kids in my high school were two classes ahead of schedule to graduate. The slackers like me would miss the first two periods and just show up late. Some of the smarter ones boosted their GPAs with extra gym or art classes; maybe I should've done that and thought about JMU. (half joking.)

jessej

All-Conference
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
I wonder...
short term fixed capacity on the freshman class
with automatic admissions who does this "crowd out"?
Va residents or out of state residents?

Walter

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
We are essentially at open admissions at this point. Now we don’t even require these students to complete an application. Why are we doing this?

psyclone

Hall of Famer
I wonder...
short term fixed capacity on the freshman class
with automatic admissions who does this "crowd out"?
Va residents or out of state residents?
Although Mason's attendance has done well so far, many colleges are anticipating an "enrollment cliff" in upcoming years. I'm guessing that "crowding out" isn't an issue in the near future.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
They must think that the number of students who meet the criteria and would enroll isn’t that significant of an impact in numbers they target for admission.

in essence there must be plenty of room.

Pablo

Hall of Famer

"As Virginia Commonwealth University rolls out a program that grants admission to any high school senior with a certain GPA, it’s the latest school to face challenges ensuring its facilities and infrastructure can keep up with the influx of students.

vcu, along with George Mason University and at least four other Virginia universities, have begun offering guaranteed admissions to address declining enrollment numbers and help bolster populations of underrepresented students."

"Under vcu’s new program, first-year freshman applicants who are among the top 10% of their high school graduating class and have at least a 3.5 GPA will automatically qualify for admission, although some programs, such as arts and engineering, have major-specific requirements."

"Other four-year public institutions, including George Mason, Radford University, the University of Virginia’s College at Wise and Virginia Military Institute, offer similar admissions programs. Old Dominion University is working on a similar offering but has not finalized the details, according to school spokeswoman Kenya Godette.

Mason officials say they saw an enrollment increase in part due to beginning guaranteed admissions. The university hit a record this past semester, becoming the first college or university in Virginia to surpass 40,000 students, making it the largest four-year public school in the state. (The private Christian Liberty University is considered to have Virginia’s largest student population, with roughly 100,000, many of them through the school’s online programs.) "

OP
Falco

Falco

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
I’m fine with this, but I wish Mason picked a high school outside of NOVA to be the pilot program.

The last thing mason needs is more commuters.

We are essentially at open admissions at this point. Now we don’t even require these students to complete an application. Why are we doing this?
Since they will most likely be commuters from Alexandria, no one..

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yeah I agree it definitely puts Mason back into that "local commuter school" feel with advertisement of things like this. Just because these students get automatically in doesn't mean they'll actually go however. Potentially if they are local they may not even be full time students either due to needing to work for school etc. I think Mason is just trying to broaden who can come into the university and tries to be unique in that the average aged college student is just one of the types of students that shows up.

Would be nice to see what the school is doing to promote recruitment from other regions, but most likely we'll never see it. We all know that Mason is bringing in students from all over the Northeast all the time amongst other areas of the country.

Mason Alumni once had someone in charge of regional network alumni groups, but that basically stopped after staff changeover and doesn't appear it has become a priority in several years. A real shame because there are certainly enough people who would show up at an event on occasion in a region other than Northern VA.

I have a lot more I could say on this topic but I'll spare everyone.

Last edited:

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
https://alumni.gmu.edu/s/1564/GID2/16/interior-1colb.aspx?sid=1564&gid=2&pgid=6708

They still have the illustrious Matt Kaufman listed as the head of the NYC Alumni Chapter (You did try hard with that)

I wish Athletics and the Alumni association would work in unison to try to bring in more $ for basketball.

We raised over 3 million last year, which is by far our biggest number to date and just about on par with what vcu raised. The question now really is can that level of giving be sustained?

Also before the Skinn hire our basketball budget was 8th in the A10 and 102nd nationally (top 1/3rd), only a few 100k short of Duquesne who is 6th and ranked 98th. I know Tony negotiated a pretty large bump in the assistants budget when he was hired. That alone might push them into the top 6 in the league.

I know it feels like things are dire (EBA is aging, the fans are pretty disengaged, and the results on the court are lackluster), but the the budget doesn’t seem to be that big of an issue (honestly what separates Mason from being top half is mostly Tony Skin’s base salary).

But I will say this, the alumni association has never responded to me when I have reached out to them so I have no idea what they are doing on any front (sports related or not).

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
But I will say this, the alumni association has never responded to me when I have reached out to them so I have no idea what they are doing on any front (sports related or not).
Yep, sums up just about everyone’s experience. They focus mostly on local folks. They’ve been short staffed for years at this point but even when they were staffed, their outreach wasn’t great or working with them wasn’t easy.

They don’t do anything specific for sports other than a watch party here or there. And homecoming of course.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Yep, sums up just about everyone’s experience. They focus mostly on local folks. They’ve been short staffed for years at this point but even when they were staffed, their outreach wasn’t great or working with them wasn’t easy.

They don’t do anything specific for sports other than a watch party here or there. And homecoming of course.
Just my 2 cents, but all the pics I see from that group tend be of rich people hobnobbing. Not sure they care much about athletics.
Of course, I could be wrong.

mkaufman1

Administrator
Staff member
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Just my 2 cents, but all the pics I see from that group tend be of rich people hobnobbing. Not sure they care much about athletics.
Of course, I could be wrong.
Which pictures are you referring to? Folks at homecoming?

If so, yeah, many folks who go to homecoming don’t care much about basketball but go to attend and that’s that.

GMU79

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GIVING DAY 2023
Which pictures are you referring to? Folks at homecoming?

If so, yeah, many folks who go to homecoming don’t care much about basketball but go to attend and that’s that.
Nah, pics of the big wigs schmoozing.
Maybe that's something else though.

We raised over 3 million last year, which is by far our biggest number to date and just about on par with what vcu raised. The question now really is can that level of giving be sustained?

Also before the Skinn hire our basketball budget was 8th in the A10 and 102nd nationally (top 1/3rd), only a few 100k short of Duquesne who is 6th and ranked 98th. I know Tony negotiated a pretty large bump in the assistants budget when he was hired. That alone might push them into the top 6 in the league.

I know it feels like things are dire (EBA is aging, the fans are pretty disengaged, and the results on the court are lackluster), but the the budget doesn’t seem to be that big of an issue (honestly what separates Mason from being top half is mostly Tony Skin’s base salary).

DM me your email. I'll reach out to them and call them out on the carpet for not emailing you back.

Hell... If multiple people email them we can get a movement going.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
It’s not that big of a deal, I wasn’t trying to toss a ton of money at them or start a Phoenix chapter or anything. The moment has passed. If I ever have a desire to reach out again I’ll give it another go and see how it goes.