A10 teams in NCAA Tourney 2014

frchrisgaffrey

Four-star Recruit
With six teams going to the dance, Mason can reap more rewards the deeper an A10 tema goes. What's your take on the A10 teams in this year's tourney? Who do you think will help the A10 the most by going the furthest?
rynyhuma.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I think vcu can get to the Sweet 16 but will lose to Florida if they do. I like UMass upsetting Duke as well to get to the sweet 16. I think St. Louis goes down to the Fighting Lukes in the round of 32 (Louisville underseeded, raw deal for Saint Louis). I think the other three teams lose in the first round unfortunately.

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
With six teams in, whats the total earned for the conference and what is our take?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
With six teams in, whats the total earned for the conference and what is our take?

Depends on how far they go. In my scenario we'd have 11 units. Last year the units were worth about 245k each, a 1% increase over the year before. So Assuming the same we are looking at 247,500 give or take.

247k x 11 = 2.741 million

The top 6 teams take 75% or 2.041 million. So we split 700,000 with the other 7 teams or about 100,000 a year.

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
I think vcu can get to the Sweet 16 but will lose to Florida if they do.

Many so-called experts are picking SF Austin to not only upset vcu but also UCLA. I honestly know little about them other than they've won 31 games and haven't lost since early November. Several publications/sites including USA Today are saying they could be this year's Cinderella team, but I'm not sure I have the balls to pick them in my pools.

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Many so-called experts are picking SF Austin to not only upset vcu but also UCLA. I honestly know little about them other than they've won 31 games and haven't lost since early November. Several publications/sites including USA Today are saying they could be this year's Cinderella team, but I'm not sure I have the balls to pick them in my pools.

SFA has a gaudy record, but they've literally played nobody. Their best win all season was Towson (No. 95). No wins over any NCAA teams. They're gonna have a rude awakening against vcu's pressure.

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️

I can see that too. If Stephen F can negate vcu's press they will beat them. vcu doesn't have the shooters this year and they are not a good half-court team. But that press can get nasty quick too and vcu can run.

Patriot Lawdog

Starter
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Amazing where we're at as far as conference affiliation when you think about it....Six bids means you're right there with the big boys. Our conference is clearly not small time, now we have to step up and not be a Mickey Mouse operation anymore.

OP
frchrisgaffrey

frchrisgaffrey

Four-star Recruit
In both the GW game and the St. Joe's game vcu had problems with fouls, half court offense, and getting the ball inside. If other teams take note, they can easily beat vcu. Plus one of their starters is injured.
St. Joe's earned some major respect. They have a great three pointer and shooter in Galloway, Roberts is nothing to snuff at, and Kanacevic had a double double just about every game of the A10 tourney. Their weakness is they have a very shallow bench, but they were able to hang with vcu in the fast breaks and beat them. I can see them beating UCONN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmutom

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
GIVING DAY 2023
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 3m
vcu's Melvin Johnson has a sprained knee and is likely out against Stephen F. Austin, Shaka Smart told @CBSSports. Story coming.

I was watching that game, and I knew he'd miss at least a few games after watching his knew get twisted like that. vcu has a lot of depth, but they are an entirely different team without Johnson.

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
Shabazz Napier was asked about DeAndre Bembry and he responded with, "What number is that? Is he the guy with the 'fro?" ...a little bulletin board material for St. Joes.

Cool Disco Dan

Sixth Man
To answer the question from the OP, I think UMass has the best chance to advance...They have the size to matchup with BCS teams and can score in a variety of ways. If they can get past round 1, and they should, I like them to knock off Duke. Putney's length/athleticism is about the best you can hope for in dealing with Jabari and I think Chaz will get in the lane at will against Quinn Cook.

I'm a doubter on UVA, so if GW gets past Memphis, I wouldn't be shocked to see them take UVA out. GW is pretty good in the half court and I could see Creek and Garino knocking down shots to pull out a close one...I picked UVA to win (and then exit to Mich St), but wouldn't surprise me.

vcu should be fine against Stone Cold Steve Austin, but I think UCLA is a terrible matchup for them. UCLA is top 5 in assists and A/TO ratio and having a 6'8 ballhander in Kyle Anderson will help in terms of breaking the press and allowing them to go small (which they like to do) and get good looks off the press break for LaVine, Adams and Alford's kid.

I don't see SLU, UD or St Joe's getting past round 1 (although I guess it's called round 2).

EXpatriot13

All-Conference
GIVING DAY 2023
St. Joes has a much better front court than UConn. If they can somewhat keep up with the Shabazz Napier show then I think they'll win the game. UConn needs more than just Shabazz to beat St. Joes.

sigmanorm

Starter
I've got St Joe's, St Louis, UMass winning their first game, the others I have losing. I don't have any A10 teams in the Sweet 16, but I think St Joe's has the best shot. I think they can take down Villanova but I don't see them getting further.