A10 Team Championships in 2013-14

Pablo

Hall of Famer
Mason won the most team championships in its inaugural season in the A10:

Mason - 4 (men's soccer, women's indoor & outdoor track and field, & baseball)
UMass- 3 (field hockey, lacrosse, & rowing)
LaSalle - 2 (men's cross country & women's soccer)
Fordham - 2 (women's basketball & softball)
vcu - 2 (women's tennis & golf)
Rhode Island - 2 (men's indoor & outdoor track and field)
Duquesne - 2 (women's cross country & volleyball)
GW - 1 (men's tennis)
Richmond - 1 (women's swimming and diving)
St. Bonaventure - 1 (men's swimming and diving)
St. Joseph's - 1 (men's basketball)
Dayton - 0
St. Louis - 0

Mason also won the individual championship in women's cross country.

Now, let's get competitive in basketball!

Five Two

All-American
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
I had no idea we had the most team sport titles. Historically though, other than basketball, what sports is the A10 better than the CAA?

GMUgemini

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
Yawn, it's a basketball conference first and foremost

Obviously the men's and women's basketball teams need to step up, but don't knock the success if our other sports.

We came very close to winning 6 championships in our inaugural season. That's only good for the athletics department as a whole.

The problem we have right now is that the sports we aren't good in we are catastrophically bad.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Well said. Having broad based success will be key going forward.

If we continue this success and get a turn around in basketball it will bode well especially with a new AD

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

gmujim92

Hall of Famer
GIVING DAY 2023
Well said. Having broad based success will be key going forward.

If we continue this success and get a turn around in basketball it will bode well especially with a new AD

Having broad-based success is certainly nice -- I followed our NCAA run in soccer and enjoyed the A-10 title in baseball -- but not mandatory by any means because none of those sports make any money or generate any significant media attention for the university.

Even if we lose in everything else, we simply must win in men's basketball. Given the A-10's payout structure, all of other sports' finances will suffer if we're not making the tournament on a semi-regular basis.

We're not in the CAA anymore. We can't just roll out the balls at the start of every season and know that we're one of the top 2-3 teams in our league. Gotta step it up across the board -- and that means coaches, players, administration and fans.

psyclone

Hall of Famer
Broad based success in other sports would seem to make it easy for the new AD to focus on basketball. As our only significant revenue sport, that focus may have been obvious anyway, but now it's even clearer.

Pikapppatri8

Hall of Famer
⭐️ Donor ⭐️
GOLD SPONSOR
Jim I absolutely agree. Basketball has to be strong, but I do enjoy seeing the other teams do well.

Just win baby.